Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Az,hey maybe us guys that have to put down payments on V10's can sue for harassment,pain & suffering,or something like that,ha ha.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
55wagon
Senior User
I scuffed the side of my 04' in a drive thru car wash, I about kicked my own butt, I wasn't as mad about the scratch as much as I was about me getting close enough to the pole protecting the pay machine to scuff my 2 week old. Man I was PO'D, I went tru the same wash many times with my 99' SC LB many times and not one scratch. As far as quality of repair if the prep work is done right it should be fine as long as the painters good, the only thing that will make you notice a difference is when the paint starts to oxidize, and being a new truck it will all oxidize at the same rate. I've done many blends myself on cars with older paint and if you get a good match and take care of the older paint as well you still cannot notice, until the paint is ignored that's when you will notice.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Thanks wagon for the positive input,I hope its all good.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know no one wants my 2 cents but this happens everyday.
We've blended many many vehicles over the yrs .As long as the prep work is done correctly you never know and it will never show up in the future.
If the dealers shop is a big shop and have proper booths for baking.it will be fine

Don't let it bother you ,wait 30 days and give it a good coat of wax ,you be fine.
Rich

Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
A Dealer Can not Make you buy the truck , The Dealer HAS To return your deposit if you decide to not buy the truck for any reason. Period. If you did not sign the sales contract it is not your truck. The worst would be selling dealer will hold your money untill vehicle is sold.A deposit is more of a show of Faith than anything else. Do you guys now of any Dealers that are holding customers deposits and refusing to let the buyer out ?.The laws are on the customers side all the way on this . In CA they are nearing passage of a law that will allow you to RETURN A new or Used car After the purchase (limited time 48 hours i think). Don't Settle . After the sale you have no "HAND".
Robert
you get out of the contact minus your depoist that a dealer can keep .it's in the contract. and it's been in all 34 of my new ones since 1963.
back out on your own the money is thiers. they screw up big time you get it back.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would never sign a contract without seeing and touching the truck. Putting down a deposit to order a truck is differant . Lets turn things around : I Have been on waiting lists with a deposit for a Hot sellar and lost out on cars to higher paying buyeys and had NO Recource for a ton of reasons the dealer gave me. I would bet when push comes to shove you will get your deposit back.Many things can happen from the time you order untill the time you see it .the customer , the facory and the dealer should have a intrest in getting your truck to you without damage.
p.s Great Thread i love this site
Robert

Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 AM
BlueOval5.0
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd venture a guess that if the customer wasn't satisfied, he'd get his deposit back. If not, and he decided to fight it in small claims court, he would win and get his deposit back.

There was offer and acceptance, but not for the product that was delivered damaged and not brand new.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 AM
benr0
Senior User
Scatch on my door when I went to pick mine up. Sent it to the dealers body shop. I still can't find where it was today and my truck is RED. RED tends to fade much more than other colors.
Have them fix it, and get your GRIN on

Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
brianas
Senior User
I had a similar situation when i picked up my new 05--upon close inspection still on their lot - i found a paint chip on the front of the hood-about half the size of a dime-- the salesman was at a loss of words and assured me he would look into it and contact me within a day or two.well there was no response-and about 4-5 days later ford quality control called me to ask how i liked my new truck and how my transaction with the dealer went(is this normal?) well all i mentioned negatively was the paint chip. one day later the dealer called me- can you bring the truck in so we can check out the chip?
Ok so i bring it in--sure he says- we will fix that - it will take one hour
one hour? yup - we just need to clean the spot ,put some touch up paint on it and let it dry.I stared at the guy mystified for a couple minutes- then finally i asked if he was joking. He said no - that is the proper way to fix a paint chip. while this may be acceptable on a used vehicle- no way in h-ll they were doing that on my new truck. I told him to fix it properly or not to touch it at all.--well my chip is still there
i hope you have much better luck -especially where ur blemish is in a more noticable spot
Josh

Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brianas,

That’s a good way to repair it, in a sense. I had two chips on my door edge when I picked up my 05 SD. I asked a shop I know to mix me up some of my stock color and I brush touched it. Then I put clear door edge guards over the door edge and you cannot see (well, I can if I spend time looking for it) the painted over chip. It’s not the best way to repair a chip for looks, because if you look relatively close you’ll see it, but it’s probably a good way to repair it overall. The reason I say this is that you want paint on it. Paint protects.

The factory paint is baked at a much higher temperature than at a body shop. The vehicle is painted at the factory without the interior (carpet, seats, engine) or trim pieces so they can bake the paint at a higher temperature. There isn’t a better way to do it than to bake it relatively hot, but it would melt/distort your engine wiring, washer bottle, etc., etc. The reason for brush touching a chip would be to get paint on it without compromising any more of the factory paint than you have to, and to save cost. Theoretically a shop could take the hood off and paint it separately, but that’s not how it’s done, and the shop paint booth probably doesn’t have the ability to go to that high of temp anyway.

I know it’s not what you want, but I’d definitely touch up the chip if for nothing more to make sure it doesn’t rust. If there is a larger area of damage, or a scratch (as opposed to a chip) than painting the panel is probably a better repair, but in your case I’d say touch up paint is probably a good repair (again, not necessarily for looks).

Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BlueOval5.0
I'd venture a guess that if the customer wasn't satisfied, he'd get his deposit back. If not, and he decided to fight it in small claims court, he would win and get his deposit back.

There was offer and acceptance, but not for the product that was delivered damaged and not brand new.

Hit the nail on the head
Robert

Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
The new touch-up kits have really come a long way from a plain ole brush.

Body shops can easily put enough paint in the chipped area, and wet sand it down to the point where you'll never see it. The clearcoat, however, is a different story, and you'll probably still be able to see the repair in the right lighting.

But it certainly isn't as bad as your wife/girlfriend's nail polish

Old 07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BlueOval5.0

You are absolutely correct- and that's why there is a legal definition of "damage" and "brand new." A scratch, unless it's over $500 (varies by state) doesn't fit into those parameters. That's exactly what I was driving at. The other thing to keep in mind is that all Dealerships keep Attorney's on retainer, so the dealer wouldn't walk into small claims court unarmed. This would be taken out of small claims and moved to a different venue, because the real issue isn't a few hundred dollar scratch, but contractual obligations relating to a $40,000 truck.

Now- let's assume a few things. By the time this actually would hit a court, any communication is at a breakdown with the customer, and there is no hope of delivering a happy customer. The dealers assumption is that he can burn up a good many thousands of the customers dollars before they ever hit the courtroom, or go to arbitration. That takes me back to the original point- try to work this out reasonably, but, depending on the dealership involved, they can.... and sometimes will go to the mat if they feel they have grounds.

Last edited by polarbear; 07-13-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyrwe
We'll have our bodyman blend it in,he's one of the best around
Have we gotten any results back yet? I still go back to my original statement of:

"If they said they would fix it then let them fix it. If it looks good and your satisfied then take delivery."

I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this or not but all this talk of lawsuits and such is very discourgaging to me. A scratch was made wether from the factory or at the dealership or by an errant homing pigeon delivering the morning paper. Who really knows. They said they were going to fix it. Has the dealership given any indication they were not going to take care of the problem?

I have had a partial repaint on a 3 year old truck after being involved in a collission. NEVER could tell the difference. Had a full hood and roof repaint on my new 04 suburban 37 days after taking delivery. Looks exactly like it came from the factory.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:22 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by polarbear
You are absolutely correct- and that's why there is a legal definition of "damage" and "brand new." A scratch, unless it's over $500 (varies by state) doesn't fit into those parameters. That's exactly what I was driving at. The other thing to keep in mind is that all Dealerships keep Attorney's on retainer, so the dealer wouldn't walk into small claims court unarmed. This would be taken out of small claims and moved to a different venue, because the real issue isn't a few hundred dollar scratch, but contractual obligations relating to a $40,000 truck.

Now- let's assume a few things. By the time this actually would hit a court, any communication is at a breakdown with the customer, and there is no hope of delivering a happy customer. The dealers assumption is that he can burn up a good many thousands of the customers dollars before they ever hit the courtroom, or go to arbitration. That takes me back to the original point- try to work this out reasonably, but, depending on the dealership involved, they can.... and sometimes will go to the mat if they feel they have grounds.
Contracts work in both directions. If your paperwork I say paperwork because this is to order, not a purchase contract to buy.How can you sign a contract for a truck that does not have a vin or is even built ?. Can the dealer be taken to court if for some reason they can't deliver ? Lots of thing can happen from the time of order to delivery. Like all other retail sales the liabliaty should not be on the person placing the order but , the person filling the order. This offers an incentive to get it right.

Robert

Last edited by supeRobertduty; 07-13-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Sight Of My New V10-sickened Me!