6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bear Hunter's Truck Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may seem insensitive as well but it is just a truck. It is an inanimate object. It can be replaced. Reading this thread and the 'emotion' regarding the 'loss' makes me take a step back and realize what we are talking about. I know there is time and money and memories tied up in the vehicle and the biggest thing is the pain in the ___ that something like this causes...but, jeez you guys are treating it like it was someone's wife or daughter.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:08 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
u know the number 1 place that trucks form texas or the south end up? california, and more so the bay area. so belive me my eyes are open.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Customz
I may seem insensitive as well but it is just a truck. It is an inanimate object. It can be replaced. Reading this thread and the 'emotion' regarding the 'loss' makes me take a step back and realize what we are talking about. I know there is time and money and memories tied up in the vehicle and the biggest thing is the pain in the ___ that something like this causes...but, jeez you guys are treating it like it was someone's wife or daughter.
I don't think you are being insensitive. I agree that nobody has been hurt or worse. That is one of the very few upsides to what happened. I suppose this could have occurred during a car-jacking and who know what could may have occured.

The compassion that folks are showing (as I see it anyway) is becasue this guy's work was taken from him and many of the folks that post here relate to what was involved with doing the work. And they respect what he has done to the truck to make it different than any other. He worked long and hard to buy the truck. He worked hard to buy the add-ons, and he worked hard to do a lot of the work.

My truck is pretty close to bone stock. If mine were taken, I'd agree with you, it's just a truck and I can buy another one just like it. BH can't do that. He'd have to build another one, which I suppose he could do. Problem is, the time he has to spend doing that is time he never gets back to spend with the sweet little girl that drew the picture we all saw on page one of this thread. So I really feel bad for the guy because in a sense, they did violate his family.

Last edited by texan2004; 07-10-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Customz, it might have something to do with, someone broke the law, and took something that was not theirs. Yes it is just a truck to you, but you may not have the slightest clue what it meant to Bearhunter and why. Yes it can be replaced, at who's expense, I'll tell you who..... everyone who pays car insurance. This might have been a classic example of "if you ain't got nothing nice to say".........you know the rest.

Ryan

Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Indeed. For Bear Hunter it seems...and looks...like his truck could be likened to a work of art. Therefore, an artist's passion is involved as well. Art comes in many forms and this truck was / is definitely a piece of art....in a truck kinda way.

Man, I felt like crap for week when my trailer got stolen. Yeah, it was somewhat custom designed but, just a working trailer nonetheless. My new one is camo'ed BTW...now the bad guys can't see it...

Old 07-10-2006, 06:22 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may seem insensitive. . .
You're right about that. I'm a bit surprised that came from you.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Customz - I understand what you are saying to a point but as you stated in your own gallery your truck is a "Plain Jane work truck". Kevin's (Bear Hunter) was a built truck that he entered in shows with "custom" parts that he and friends installed. Kevin in his own post stated that yes it hurts that the truck is gone, but that he still has his family and friends which is more important to him than the truck. But it still hurts that someone "took" his pride and joy (even if it is an inanimate object). He has a lot of time and effort in that truck besides just money. You do realize that he thrashed for a week straight after work to get the new custom (by DCSpecial) front bumper, grill, and lights installed so he could get it into a couple of shows don't you??? Pretty different than the few bolt-ons on your or my truck.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
That truck is not just an off the lot one you can reorder anytime you want. It is the man's hobby and he put a lot of effort into it. He should be able to enjoy the fruits of all his work now instead of wondering what some worthless pukes have done with it.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Bear Hunter
Posting Guru
Guys…I’m overwhelmed with your kindness and concern. It really means a lot…. It truly enforces the fact that the most important thing is family and friends. Thank you all so much for the kind words... I really mean it.

I finally got in touch with my insurance case worker late this afternoon. There were a couple questions that I wanted some answers to…. I found out that they settle at “fair market” value. I inquired if this would be close to the Kelly Blue Book “Private Party” sale and got the feeling that it might be in the ballpark. Apparently they use an independent source to determine market value in the area you live in. When I asked about my MODs they told me that the adjuster will determine how much they are worth based on the date of purchase and then factor it in to the overall value of the truck…. I’m a little concerned that somebody who doesn’t know much about the MODs might not know what they are looking at…. I’m probably over reacting because all I’m doing is waiting and wondering what is going to happen. I did tell the case worker that I am putting together an Excel spreadsheet listing every single MOD which will reference a specific picture of the MOD, the receipt, the cost, and date of purchase. I don’t plan to leave anything to chance. I also found out that you can dispute what they offer you if you can show one of two things (I have no idea how long this process takes though):

1. Trucks with similar MODs selling in your area above the settlement they are offering you.
2. An Appraisal of your truck showing how much it is worth.

Unfortunately I didn’t think to get my truck appraised and have no idea how much it would be worth on the market.

So lesson learned on my part:

1. Tracking device is a must under any circumstances
2. Get your truck appraised if you have a lot into it, so you will have ammunition if this ever happens to you.
3. Keep good records of your MODs and have a picture of it on the truck to back it up.

Thank you all again…please know that I am sincere in my appreciation and I am very very grateful for all your help and concern.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Well i got that hole dug....its pretty deep so there will be no "oh no what if they find it" issues.

I dont mean to say this but one small good thing will come of this....bear(i hope others too) with these highly moded, time consuming project trucks will install some sort of low jack system that will aid in a theft. When you think about it the theifs are making it harder to steal there next big truck because this time around there will be a signal coming from the vehicle telling police where it is!

I do kinda know how your feeling, when my dads service truck was stolen we couldnt make any income because we had everytool we needed in that truck. Truck was missing for 5 months, at that time the insurance company was going to give us a check for our losses. Needless to say the truck was found in a parking lot abandoned 3 counties away. It sat there in the same spot for 3 months! So where stuck there with little/no income for 5 months but we got our money maker back....the thing that really gripps my *** is that noting was stolen except a little money that was inside the cab. Everytool was still there! The basterd just wanted a ride that nearly cost my parents the house that we built and my parents marriage.

I dont know if this is the case with you, if the truck made you any money that is. Ive only had my truck for a little over half a year and i think of it as a part of me. The sweat,the grim, the many many burns i got from working on my engine because i couldnt wait till it cooled down. I dont even want to think about it being driven by someone that dosnt have a real job.

Keep your head up i feel that it wont be long till you get some news.

Last edited by Fordbronco69; 07-10-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
As far as the insensitive thing goes..... I had a very, very nice '69 Z-28 Camaro taken from me years ago, never to be found. That car meant so much to me it was unbelievable. I have several Camaros now, a couple nice Novas, some mostly stock 'driver' vehicles and a couple nice trucks, including my SD. If one of my 'drivers' disappeared, I would be bummed, call the cops and the insurance company, and replace it, that simple. If one of my nice rides disappeared, AGAIN, I would blow a gasket! It is a terrible feeling, one I never want to experience again. I would gladly give up a driver a year to know I would never lose another ride I had tons of time and coin in. So apparently 'loss' means different things to different people. I despise 'loss' by any definition, especially one like this.

Tim

Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter
1. Tracking device is a must under any circumstances
2. Get your truck appraised if you have a lot into it, so you will have ammunition if this ever happens to you.
3. Keep good records of your MODs and have a picture of it on the truck to back it up.
4. Some type of proactive alarm system (pager alarm, etc.)
5. Concealed carry of a weapon permit
6. A weapon you feel comfortable with, on your person (it's useless if it's elsewhere)

Items 5 and 6 are ONLY for those people who can be proficient with a handgun and can truthfully say that they would take someone's life to defend their own person or property. However, in this day and age, they come highly recommended.

Sorry for your loss, Kevin. As someone who spends hundreds of hours making mods to my own trucks (not so much exterior stuff, but the addition of communications equipment, computer, etc.) I can understand what you're going through. I felt bad enough when my truck was jimmeyed open (a friend left his backpack on the back seat... grumble...)... losing the whole truck really would suck.

I'm keeping an eye out up here in Dallas. I saw a lifted F350 that sort-of matched the description the other day... had to flip around on the freeway and catch it. Unfortunately, it was only about a 6-inch lift, and it didn't have all the mods your truck does/did.

Oh well, who knows, maybe someone will run across it... good luck with the insurance carrier.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter
1. Trucks with similar MODs selling in your area above the settlement they are offering you.
I was just about to bring that up. When my neighbor wrecked his '00 F250, the insurance company was offering him alot less they should have. He went through a couple local ads with similarly equipped trucks, cut, pasted, and sent a letter to his insurance company. Once he did that, they quickly forked over the money they should have given and then some. As a result, a very nicely equipped '04 Dark Highland Green F250 CC FX4 now sits in his driveway. As long as you piece it all together with indisputable proof, they can't argue. Take care and may your truck be found.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
When my cherry '73 F-350 got flattened by a tree I gave the insurance company copies of all the work I had done and it really boosted the price.

Keep the faith brother...

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Toreador_Diesel brings up a good point. Now's the time to research any trucks you can that have similar mods. Pics, appraisals, anything you can get to support the facts can't hurt. Copies of ads on Truck Trader, or similar for sale sites should help too.

Quick Reply: Bear Hunter's Truck Stolen