1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Race... 6.0 vs. 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kentucky Skipper
I'm curious about this, really. I know my 7.3 would ditch my 6.0 off the line. Up a hill, my 7.3 would ditch my 6.0 pretty easy. However, on flat ground, I believe the 6.0 might catch the 7.3 depending on when the 6.0 decided to get up and run. My 6.0 has a heck of a lag in it. You can stomp it and it may take off in 2 seconds and 20 feet or it may take 2000 feet and 14 seconds to pickup and take off. You just never know, and did I mention, that's dangerous pulling out on 4 lane highways with 60 mph tractor trailer trucks on them.

In an eighth mile, you probably would only get to 3rd gear, on a quarter, probably high gear. The tranny in the 6.0 is a lot smoother than the 12 year old tranny in my 7.3, and shift times would definitely be longer in the older truck. However, the 6.0 looses a boat load of power with every upshift, the 7.3 doesn't loose power between gear shifts.

Remember, the Ford Engineer said my 6.0 is running normally, so I'm supposed to assume it is.

I certainly don't think it would be a blowout by either truck. It'd probably be pretty close.

What about trying this with 8000 lbs on a flatbed behind each? Maybe up a steep grade? I know dang good and well the 7.3 would walk on the 6.0 going up a hill from a dead stop at the bottom.

Skip
I really don't know why there is even a discussion about stock 7.3 vs stock 6.0...loaded or unloaded. The 6.0 has a lot more area under each curve, more rpm to work with and a superior tranny. I've driven both and there is no way a 7.3 can catch a 6.0

Old 06-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Kentucky Skipper
Junior User
Originally Posted by Customz
I really don't know why there is even a discussion about stock 7.3 vs stock 6.0...loaded or unloaded. The 6.0 has a lot more area under each curve, more rpm to work with and a superior tranny. I've driven both and there is no way a 7.3 can catch a 6.0
I've got both and my 6.0 can't keep up with a Chevette off the line. I'm not speaking from experience looking at the 2 engines on paper, I'm speaking from a couple hundred thousand miles experience driving trucks with both engines in them.

Skip

Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
gp42gpw
Senior User
I have to agree Skip but once it hits 2,000 rpm look out it will be passing the 7.3L
My only compliant so far is the lack of power from idle to about 1800. If you spool up first it helps allot but I would like it to come on sooner with out doing anything extra.
I have been told a chip helps but I fear the loss of warranty.
Glen
05 F-350 4x4 Reg Cab PSD 6Spd.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Kentucky Skipper
Junior User
Originally Posted by gp42gpw
I have to agree Skip but once it hits 2,000 rpm look out it will be passing the 7.3L
My only compliant so far is the lack of power from idle to about 1800. If you spool up first it helps allot but I would like it to come on sooner with out doing anything extra.
I have been told a chip helps but I fear the loss of warranty.
Glen
05 F-350 4x4 Reg Cab PSD 6Spd.
I don't know for what reason, but you can spool a 6.0 up to 2500 RPM's, drop the clutch in first gear, and it takes off just like it would if you'd barely tapped the throttle before letting the clutch out.

Of course they say mine is running properly.

Skipper

Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Customz
Postmaster
I speak from experience as well...

Turbo lag is turbo lag, once it spools the 6.0 is making 20-30% more power than the 7.3 over 2000 rpm all the way to redline

You may gain a car length off the line but we aren't talking quickest to 100 ft.

The 6.0 out pulls and out accelerates the 7.3 no questions asked.

If you don't agree get a boost and compression check done on the 6.0

Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
dogger
Freshman User
If you were to use the tow/haul mode would you not be getting higher rpms on the shifts etc on the 6.0? Would this not help. I haven't quite figured out how the tow mode works yet on my '06. I seems to down shift helping slow the vehicle down on hills, and always holds higher rpms when towing.

Cheers,

Dale

Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 6.0 has a heck of a lag in it. You can stomp it and it may take off in 2 seconds and 20 feet or it may take 2000 feet and 14 seconds to pickup and take off.
2 second lag, okay, that's normal. But 14 seconds?!! Are you serious about the 14 seconds, or does it just feel like that. I'm no diesel tech, but 14 seconds means you have a big problem.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:03 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dogger
If you were to use the tow/haul mode would you not be getting higher rpms on the shifts etc on the 6.0?
Actually I can tell you from experience running a 1/4 mile that Tow/Haul will slow it down. It needs to shift quicker to stay in it's power band better. When I ran Tow/Haul I was almost a full second slower in the 1/4 mile.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Kentucky Skipper
Junior User
Little old ladies in Toyota Camrys regularly beat my 6.0 off the line by 10 or more truck lengths. I'll have to ask one next time if her Camry is chipped up.

Seriously, My 7.3 would be more than a couple truck lengths ahead off the line.

Skipper

Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
I've got both and my 6.0 can't keep up with a Chevette off the line. I'm not speaking from experience looking at the 2 engines on paper, I'm speaking from a couple hundred thousand miles experience driving trucks with both engines in them.

Skip
OK SKIP YOU HAVE A 6.0 THAT DOESN'T RUN RIGHT. DO YOU HAVE TO TURN EVERY THREAD INTO A 6.0 BASHING?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
i would think that with the VG turbo on the 6.0 it would spool up faster than a 7.3 and thus get off the line quicker. i can say i have been smoked by a couple modded 6.0s and both of them left me right from the start

Old 06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
To quote an old saying, "Sounds like a fool and his money are soon to be parted". You are driving a vehicle that you do not know the idiocincracies very well, and he has a vehicle that is more than likely not stock! A good "street" racer that ponies up that kind of money is well versed in stealth technology. You can look it over and not see the hidden mods if he has done his job right.
Be careful, sounds like a set up to me.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Kentucky Skipper
Junior User
Originally Posted by F250Wheels
OK SKIP YOU HAVE A 6.0 THAT DOESN'T RUN RIGHT. DO YOU HAVE TO TURN EVERY THREAD INTO A 6.0 BASHING?
That about sums it up.

I have talked to Ford till I'm blue in the face. I hate lawyers, and don't intend to hire one. That said, since it is evident to me that Ford has 0 desire to make my purchase right, I will bash their sorry missengineered piece of junk from now on. That is about the only recourse I have, and trust me, I intend to use it.

That said, you asked a question, and I gave you my answer based on my experience with trucks having both motors. It wouldn't be the blow out you think it would. Yes, the 6.0 has more horsepower once it gets spooled up and running, but we aren't talking about a 500 mile race, we are talking about a 1/4 mile. I do have some drag racing experience, although all of it on 1/8th miles. I know a full quarter is a lot of difference. I also know that if you give up a 10 car lead at the light it's difficult to catch your opponent in a short drag race. The fact is, a 6.0 does not have the torque to get up and go with a 7.3. If you'll read your specifications very carefully, you'll find they measured the 6.0's increase in torque over the 7.3 at something like 2500 rpms. Sitting on the staging lights of a drag strip, the amount of torque your engine has at 2500 rpms has pretty dang little to do with how fast it will leave when the lights go from yellow to green. Back when I ran at the drag strip in Alabama, my car was one of the faster cars in the bracket, and I almost always donated a couple seconds to a slower car or pickup in the bracket. I can tell you from experience how far it takes a much faster vehicle to catch up with one that has a 2 or 3 second head start. Drag racing is all about the light, it is not about the top end speed of the vehicle. All other things being equal, I'd put my money on the one who cuts the tightest light. With the 6.0's notorious lag from the time you spur it's but till the time it takes off, I can tell you, a 7.3 truck will murder it on the light. In an eighth mile, the 6.0 would not have a chance. I said before, I thought it might in a quarter. There is a big difference in the 2 tracks as to what works best. 1/8th mile tracks are not necessarily horsepower tracks. It's reaction time. Quarter miles get into horsepower because you are going to hit high gear. I'm not sure how close to the end of the track that would be, and that would be the determining factor.

Skip

Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Customz
Postmaster
skip you need to look at the timeslips and see how fast a 6.0 can do a 60 ft time and 1/8 mile as well as 1/4.

Peak torque is 560-570 at 2000 rpm and it matters how much torque at that rpm cause that is where you launch. Who doesn't powerbrake during a drag race?

Last edited by Customz; 06-29-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Customz
Peak torque is 560-570 at 2000 rpm and it does matter how much torque at that rpm cause that is where you launch. Who doesn't powerbrake during a drag race?
The loser.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Race... 6.0 vs. 7.3