1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

has any one noticed after this cash for clunkers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has any one noticed after this cash for clunkers?

has any one noticed that after this cash for clunkers program that the local police are more inclined to red light our old trucks?

i am serious i got my truck impounded a few months ago *long story registration* and then the day after i got it back i got pulled over by another local cop *sherif* for not having a rear bumper. i know my truck is dirty and i am white but dang !!

any one else recently had this issue? kinda like what is wrong with this person still driving these pos truck when they trade in was soo sweet i better check this out.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Rear Bumpers on these trucks were OPTIONAL from the factory. Federal law does not require you to UPDATE safety equipment to newer standards.

Why people can drive vehicles built from 1946 and before without turn signals and one brake lamp. (Cops love to harrass this one)

Tell the cop to mind his own or see him in court for harrassment. (What I'd do anyway)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Rear Bumpers on these trucks were OPTIONAL from the factory. Federal law does not require you to UPDATE safety equipment to newer standards.

Why people can drive vehicles built from 1946 and before without turn signals and one brake lamp. (Cops love to harrass this one)

Tell the cop to mind his own or see him in court for harrassment. (What I'd do anyway)
Might check your state reg's; Fl does require a vehicle that is operational(meaning tagged and street legal) to have a rear bumper. Does NOT matter if it was sold without a bumper.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer

Might check your state reg's; Fl does require a vehicle that is operational(meaning tagged and street legal) to have a rear bumper. Does NOT matter if it was sold without a bumper.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
These trucks were too old to even qualify for the Cash for Clunkers program. So the cops may just take issue with your truck. I know I got stopped one day for my tint being too dark. The cop said he had to stop me because my tint was the same color as my truck

Old 12-12-2009, 01:02 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
Talking reasons i have been stoped

here are a few of the reasons i have been stoped:

1 your tail lights are too faded not red enough. *cop didn't realize i was security for the place i was driving around and was just to cold and wet to walk my rounds*

2 your side windows are tinted *at least that was valad here in california if not enforced*

3 you back window is tinted * just an excuse for a drunk stop*

4 your turn signal was on for 3 block and i used to have an old truck like this so i know they switch off on their own *cough bs it was a drunk stop*

5 do you have mufflers? *yup legal sound barely you can see them when you stoped me also a drunk stop*

6 your back tire is low *it was and yes drunk stop*

7 back bumper *a stop to check for drugs and to show new explorer the ropes i think*.

8 does this truck have seat belts? *drunk stop again and yes it does*

9 do you have your licence and registration? * supposed theft of similar truck. how many 60 -80 fords are white with union stickers green rims and my name on the tail gate any way? *

10 does your turn signal work * while i am sitting in the cab wating my right turn arrow flash from being pulled over drunk stop*

11 is this equiptment in the back yours *no but see the company truck that is over loaded i am following hmmm.... drunk stop*

and a few others you would not believe. almost all of them follow this pattern.

"licence and reg please" me ok here why did you pull me over for see any number above and have you been drinking sir are there any drugs in the car? me nope i never drink or do drugs *gods honest truth i worry about pissing away the workmans comp if i get hurt on the job due to residual traces* me ok i will wait please hurry i am on my way to work or on my way home.

i actually like cops but i was just wondering if it was me drawing attention dirty smelly white and getting rarer truck with a questionable appearance. or just that the number of older cars is geting so reduced that i am now standing out in thier mind as hmmm.... why couldn't this guy drive some thing better lets just take a look and see what we can find.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Red2003XLT
The only way they can possibly make that legal and stick is to make it a requirement of registration renewal. Like what they are doing with smog here in california.

Under the constitution of the USA, laws cannot be made retroactive. In otherwords they cant pass a law in the future to make something that you did in the past illegal, and charge you for a crime.

That includes making you update safety equipment to newer standards that wasn't required when the vehicle in question was built.

Fighting that issue in court could be a problem though and take more money than people would rather spend. You would win if you took it to a high enough court, but a bumper is cheaper.

As for being pulled over by cops... I had one pull me over because I had a Black Lab in the back of the truck. Perfectly legal at the time. The Dog was the size of a man, and he was sitting in the back next to the cab like a man would be. The cop walked right up to the dog, and then realised it was a dog, and jumped back. "Does the Dog Bite?" I said nope... Then he went on to say that he pulled me over for running a red light, but he was going to let me off with a warning. He thought the dog was a man, (Which carring a man in the back of a truck is illegal, but not the dog at the time), and the cop used the running a red light as an excuse to pull me over. Which I stopped at BTW. Why he didn't give me a $350 ticket.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jsutton
These trucks were too old to even qualify for the Cash for Clunkers program. So the cops may just take issue with your truck. I know I got stopped one day for my tint being too dark. The cop said he had to stop me because my tint was the same color as my truck
Some factory tints are now concidered illegal in california for example, but they cant get you for them for the same reason as the rear bumper, or make you add a third brakelamp. The greenish tint on my 1972 was such an example. Tint cannot be colored now, especially windshields. The glass is easy to prove though, especially with the Factory Carlite numbers etched in the glass.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Manic_Mechanic68
New User
I think it all depends on where you live to. Right now, I bet California in particular, since it has such a high deficit, that they are probably trying to write out as many traffic citations as they can, so they can collect money on the fines. That is the reason that the truck speed limit is only 55. They will slap truckers with fines every way they can.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
ok

resently there has been 3 major events i think locally here that did it.

1 cash for clunkers getting rid of so many older vehicles *not ours but still older ones*
2 my trucks appearance when down hill from sitting.
3 we voted to get rid of our cop *the whole damn city*
4 we voted to bring in sherifs.
5 i stopped shaving and am still waiting for wife to cut my hair ?

i just started the thread cuz the excuses to pull me over got alot weirder after this cash for clunkers LOL tail lights haha.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
CN Spots
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsutton
The cop said he had to stop me because my tint was the same color as my truck
Flat black window tint? That is a bit much.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:04 PM
69issofine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got pulled over for having a trailer ball on the back of my truck, i was told if i wasn't towing anything to remove the trailer ball so they can see my licence plate wtf.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 PM
DAV1972
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was once stopped for license plate light out. Cop was driving the opposite way and turned around to stop me for that. Another time a cop pulled out behind me and followed me right on my bumper. Thinking he was getting ready to stop me, I slowed down so that I could pull over when his lights came on. He continued to follow me right on my @ss then finally pulled me over. The charge? Driving too slow. I have been pulled over numerous times in my old truck with mag wheels. I think that each time they stop me they are expecting to get me for DWI, no drivers license, no insurance. I have never been pulled over in my Taurus!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Zombie thread....

Old 12-07-2014, 12:27 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone else notice this same guy keeps refreshing old threads?

Quick Reply: has any one noticed after this cash for clunkers?