1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:49 PM
jomes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailpipes

Ok guys a while back I posted a thread "What type of tailpipes do you have under the bed, the side or back. There were alot of responses to that thread. But later this week I am getting a new exhaust on my 54 and I have decided to go over the rear axle and come down on each side like a lot of Nova's and Chevelles have. MY question is I am wondering what differant types of rear exit tailpipes do you have. Pictures would be great!!! You never know I may change my mind. HMMM decisions decisions -Andy

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy -

I have had a number of versions of exhaust pipes on my 56. I currently have side dump pipes and like them.

If you plan on rear exit, you need to first decide how loud you want them to be. I personally think the Flowmaster 40's sound the best out the back, but I like loud pipes. Magnaflows are quieter. DynoMax quieter still. Stock mufflers are really quiet.

The type of tip you choose will make a huge difference in sound and tone. For loud, go with slant-cut straight tips or bell-shaped tips. For a more muffled sound with tone, used staight-cut tips that curl in at the exit. For really quiet, use tips that turn down.

Generally speaking, the quieter the sound, the more back pressure and lower overall performance you get from the exhaust system. However, going out the back will let you get good performance without waking up the neighbors (Flowmasters with curl tips or turn-downs).

Old 06-18-2006, 08:43 PM
jomes
Freshman User
Randy thanks for the information on the exhaust I now have 40 series flowmasters on the truck I am going with that as far as mufflers. I did not know that if the tip goes down it makes a deeper tone. I like the sound of that. Thanks for the tip LOL no pun intended -Andy

Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 PM
TBucketJack
Senior User
I had Flowmaster 40's, 2 1/2" over the rear axle and point down to the grount at a 45 degree angle with stainless tips. Not quite a street sweeper.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Andy -

Maybe I wasn't clear about the tips. If a tip goes down (points toward the ground) it tends to quiet the tone, not deepen it. The sound goes into the ground instead of straight out to your ears. If you like the sound of the Flowmaster (and I do), and want to keep the tone crisp, use slant-cut straight tips or bell-shaped tips parallel with the ground.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:32 AM
ladd56f100
New User
What's the difference in sound between the Flowmaster and the old cherry bomb glass packs I remember from the old days? Why don't I see/hear of people using them now?

Ladd

Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They are illegal in a lot of places. Here in NH a straight through muffler like a cherry bomb will not pass safety inspection.

Vern

Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
put on flowmaster 40's w/2.5" pipe and have a very unpleasant resonance at about 2500 rpm. I know don't do 2500 rpm, sounds logical but that is her sweet spot and it is driving me nuts. Magnaflow or Dynamax??? May have a set of 40's with about three hours run time on them if anyone is interested. Had stainless Camaro style tips but opted for a more old school look with the raw pipes cut at 90 degress just past the roll pan. Probably should get rid of those stainless tips as well. Anyway, good luck with yours, may have to experiment a little before you land on what you are really looking for.....

Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 AM
TBucketJack
Senior User
I would have to agree that 2500 RPM with the 40's really resonate!!!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
I bought a set of 50 series today for that very reason!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got 2 1/2" aluminized dual exhaust with crossover pipe.
I,m running 3 chamber delta series flowmasters on my 460.
I love the throaty flowmaster sound and have very minor resonance in the cab. I like being able to hear them with the windows up. The neighbors can hear me coming a block away. I've got slash cut tips exiting out the back.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I think I read here or on another forum that you can help the resonance problem by not installing your mufflers across from one another or an equal distance from the engine. In other words, set one further to the rear than the other. Anyone tried that with success?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM
TBucketJack
Senior User
I've also heard that if you have two different length mufflers, ie: the Ford Mustang GT's i believe.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Draft_Horse
Senior User
Do like B/B ford did, put a cross over pipe. I worked at Speedy Muffler & Midas for over 6 yrs and have built many different dual exhaust. Because of the fireing order of the Ford engin, I recommand this on Foreds only. Have the cross over pipe installed somewhere near the tranny area.
My 2 cents; You'' get a nice sound to it.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
I have a set of Flowmaster 40 series on my 2 1/2" full dual exhaust, fully welded with a crossover(H-pipe), and it seemed to reduce the resonance slightly, at least in my opinion. I have them exiting right infront of the rear fenders with slash-cut megaphone looking tips, sounds pretty sweet I must say. My crossover is right at the tailshaft of the tranny. I've heard that if you want the throaty sound of the Flowmasters minus the resonance, go with the Super 40 series, but thats just what I have heard, I don't know if it is true or not.

Quick Reply: Tailpipes