Just got my 4.2 back today

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 PM
FordTruck17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 4.2 back today

Just got my 4.2 back today from the engine builders. I had it totally rebuilt. The body on my truck is excellent, so now with the new engine I was thinking I would hop it up a little...... Mainfolds, exhaust and an intake. Maybe even a chip. Anyone on here have first hand experience for what has worked for them on their 4.2? Mine is a 1997 2wd ext. cab. Any help would be great! Thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
allansingletary
New User
Sounds like you and I own the same truck. 97 2wd ext. cab. 4.2. Without notice, she just wouldn't crank one morning. Had her towed to the shop. Mechanic says I need a new motor. When it did crank, sounded like a rod about to come through the block. Am I looking at a $4000 repair bill? Do I need a second opinion? Would love to know how yours turned out. What are the indications of notorious front gasket leak? Sounds like thats what I have. Thanks

Old 07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
FordTruck17
New User
Well Mine was rebuilt by a engine rebuilder in Toronto who is known to be the best around. I waited 3 weeks for them to finish with my engine but I am glad I waited instead of taking it somewhere else.....

I bought mine with a bad engine....so it was into the engine shop as soon as I got it. I don't know the history of what went wrong with the engine....

My engine rebuild was $3000 with 1 year warrantee.

Hope this helps somewhat!!!

George

Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Allan sorry to say but it sounds like you have a bent rod. The lower intake gaskets are prone to leaking coolant into the front cylinders. I bought my F150 with the same problem and rebuilt the engine myself. I had a bent rod on #4 and all the bearings were showing copper from the coolant in the oil. I replaced the rod and had the crank turned and $700 bucks later I have a new engine. It runs like new and after 180 miles everything is fine. I haven't had a chance to hot rod it yet but I want to put a stock Lightning muffler on it and open up the intake a bit.