thinking of making my own

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 AM
luvemhot
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking of making my own

I my wanting to start making my own fule and have a couple ?

First I live where it can get down to -10 to -15 for a week or two during the winter in the morings ( guess if it was the summer i would move) Will i have problems with gelling? how do i stop it?

Second I understand i will lose power. How much? Will i feel a difference when towing a 5th wheel or pulling a hill unloaded?

I was told second hand of someone making his for 47 cents a gallon what is all of yours cost per gallon?

Thanks for the help
Keith

Old 06-11-2006, 11:57 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by luvemhot
I my wanting to start making my own fule and have a couple ?

First I live where it can get down to -10 to -15 for a week or two during the winter in the morings ( guess if it was the summer i would move) Will i have problems with gelling? how do i stop it?

Second I understand i will lose power. How much? Will i feel a difference when towing a 5th wheel or pulling a hill unloaded?

I was told second hand of someone making his for 47 cents a gallon what is all of yours cost per gallon?

Thanks for the help
Keith
Keith, #1 Biodiesel will gel at a higher temp than D-1. I've been making and using Biodiesel for over 2 years. I live in northern Oregon, and blend to B-80 down to 10 deg F, to get to -,15 you will need to blend to B-50. I use B100 from the end of March thru the end of October.

Biodiesel has slightly less BTUs per gallon, BUT it has a higher Cetain rating, and contains 10-12 percent Oxygen. It's been my observation that I'm getting more HP than less, and 1.5-2.8 more MPG.

I buy my supplies in bulk and recover the excess Methanol from the glycerol, so my cost runs between $.35-$.50 per gallon.

Have a look at this forum, you'll find alot of good info here. Many of us are making Bio and smiling everytime we PASS a fuel station. Try here for all the latest info: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org

FABMANDELUX.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
luvemhot
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fab
I am going cuttently going through about 120 gal a month. Will I need to find that much used VO? Can i make enough for a month storing it in a tank?
Thanks Keith

Old 06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by luvemhot
Fab
I am going cuttently going through about 120 gal a month. Will I need to find that much used VO? Can i make enough for a month storing it in a tank?
Thanks Keith
Thats only 30 gal a week, you should be able to find that amount locally. You can make bio whenever you get enough for a batch, and can store it for long periods of time [ at least 1 year ] with no problems.

FABMANDELUX.