Update on my 5.4 engine knock....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
mach2race
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on my 5.4 engine knock....

Hey Guys, finally got my truck delivered. Turns out the motor may not be junk after all. At start-up, the engine has a loud knock that last for about 6 seconds then seems to disapear.I let it idle for about 7 minutes, and the knock slowly returned. As soon as I "reved" the engine, the knock disappeared. So, could I have just a low oil pressure problem caused by a worn oil pump? Engine has 110,000 miles on it. I called local auto parts to purchase a high volume oil pump, but they did not list a high volume pump for the 5.4 motor. So I called melling. Melling gave me a phone number to call. When I called it, FORD Racing answered the phone. He said, how did you get this number? I told him that melling had refered me to him. Told him I had a 1999 f250, with a 5.4 motor. He said, all you need part number 6600-D46. Turns out this is a Cobra high volumer oil pump. He said, It is a direct bolt-in for the stock pump. Shipping is 4 days. I'm hoping it will take care of my problem. I could still have other issues, but a high volume pump can't hurt. Seems as if Ford Racing was familar with my problem.
Any suggestions on what else I should try?

Thanks guys,
mach

Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes drop the pan and clean it out . replace the pick up tube . which just may be your main problem. lots of cars are turning up heavliy sludged up in the pan and top end . lots of times it can be traced back to poor oil filters and fast oil change shops useing the wrong oil.