1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel relay location?- 87 E-150 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:59 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel relay location?- 87 E-150 4.9

Thought the fuel pump was bad, replaced it, only to find out that I was getting no voltage at the pump. Can't find where the fuel pump relay is located. Friend's uncle told me that there should be another fuse panel under the hood that it might be near like on the F series, but can find no such panel.

Chilton's is worthless...

Help?

Old 05-23-2006, 10:38 PM
ColonyPark
Senior User
Originally Posted by fattmann
Thought the fuel pump was bad, replaced it, only to find out that I was getting no voltage at the pump. Can't find where the fuel pump relay is located. Friend's uncle told me that there should be another fuse panel under the hood that it might be near like on the F series, but can find no such panel.

Chilton's is worthless...

Help?
Man, I hope someone here can be more help than me, because I'm drawing on fumes on this one. It seems to me that on my 89 351w the fuel pump relay was tucked up in the passenger side fender in front of the HVAC housing. That's not much help I know, but maybe someone else can confirm or refute this.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonyPark
Man, I hope someone here can be more help than me, because I'm drawing on fumes on this one. It seems to me that on my 89 351w the fuel pump relay was tucked up in the passenger side fender in front of the HVAC housing. That's not much help I know, but maybe someone else can confirm or refute this.
Your right, here is a photo.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:42 PM
ColonyPark
Senior User
Wow, I actually remembered something. Now if I could only find my keys... :-P

Old 05-24-2006, 11:40 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Wow, almost 100% positive that mine does not have that... The only thing in front of the battery is the starter solenoid, and this crazy little fan thing tucked down in the corner.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Wow, almost 100% positive that mine does not have that... The only thing in front of the battery is the starter solenoid, and this crazy little fan thing tucked down in the corner.
Well it should, if not they are hanging down by the wires that plug into them.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:23 AM
fattmann
Tuned
So is that in front of the battery on the passenger side (in front of the AC unit)? If so, yeah, I don't have any of that. It goes battery to starter solenoid, then off to everything else, there is no black box like what is shown in the picture.

Is that picture from a pickup? That might be the problem, I have an E-150.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
So is that in front of the battery on the passenger side (in front of the AC unit)? If so, yeah, I don't have any of that. It goes battery to starter solenoid, then off to everything else, there is no black box like what is shown in the picture.

Is that picture from a pickup? That might be the problem, I have an E-150.
The Photo is from a 1988 E150.
Ok we were wrong, it should be:

UNDER HOOD, DRIVER SIDE, FRONT SIDE OF WHEELWELL,
MOUNTED IN RELAY BLOCK

Above information is from the AutoZone Site.

Sorry about that, I though it was the same as on the 88.

Last edited by subford; 05-25-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Oh ok, thanks a bunch, didn't mean to come off as rude if I did, I've been a little frustrated lately.

I will certainly look for that now I have an idea of what to look for. Don't remember seeing much on that side, but there is an un-hooked up natural gas unit in that area that blocks a bunch of stuff.

Will let you guys know, thanks again.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might not need to find the relay. Try this, connect your voltmeter at the inertia switch and turn the key to run. If you get 12 volts for 2 seconds the relay is not the problem.

Your owners manual will tell you where the inertia switch is. Most likely spot is under the dash/passenger side. Red button on it.

And if the button is popped up, you've found the problem

Last edited by 87 XLT; 05-25-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Need more help guys....

Found the relay, it was under the dash on the passenger side above the inertia switch. Only recognized it because I saw a ford fuel pump relay on another site, it is a small black and green box.

I checked the inertia switch and all it has is a gray button, no red one, that kind of flops up and down when you press it, it doesn't stay clicked in either position. I had pulled the plug off the switch and stuck my voltmeter prongs in the clip with the new relay and turned the ignition to accessory.

Got nothing...

Plugged it back into the switch and check voltage at the fuel pump wires. Again nothing. Does this mean my ignition is screwed up? I have spark and it turns over just fine, just no power to the fuel pump. I read that the ignition, relay and inertia switch were the only things between the fuel pump and the battery (essentially), so what else could it be?

Old 05-28-2006, 06:24 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Ok 1987 E150, somehow I had 1989 in my head from reading the above posts and that was what the AZ Info was for, the 87 should have been where we said it was above that and the photo should be right for an 1987. Somebody must have moved the Fuel Pump Relay on you.
If they did we would not know how they wired it but I can post a diagram of how it should be.

Last edited by subford; 05-28-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you found, but it does'nt sound like an inertia switch to me.

Nice that Subford is going to post the wiring diagram. After he posts it check the color coding on the diagram and compare it to the wires on that "inertia switch"

At the inertia switch you need to connect your voltmeter to the wire from the pump relay & any good ground.Turn the key to RUN & you should see 12 volts for 2 seconds.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Here is the Diagram

Please note that I have a conflict between two diagrams from the same manual on the same Van. One shows it as below and the other shows that the input to Fuel Pump Relay contacts is a Yellow Wire with its own Fuse Link.

Last edited by subford; 05-28-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:30 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Oh boy… I’m just loving this EFI crap, lol.

Alright, found the fuel pump relay and about at least 3 other relays under the passenger side of the dash with a whole lot of electrical stuff. I just assumed that that was the main location for most of the computer stuff (there is a rectangle metal box housing many wired stuffs). If it is relocation, they did one hell of a job. I will try to get some pictures on here of all of it.

The inertia switch that I described can be seen here- http://users.wpi.edu/~sethm/240Z/Album%206/Album%206-Pages/Image31.html

Some fellow’s website, typed in “ford inertia switch) into google and it was in the image results. That is exactly what mine looks like. I am assuming that the red covers are for the mounting, as that mine is mounted on that side to the passenger wall of the underdash. It has the same two wire setup as the one in the picture, except the wire colors are <st1:city><st1>Orange</st1></st1:city> w/ Blue line, and Pink w/ Brown line. Which, if perhaps the brown is faded black, would match the posted diagram.

Either way, a new relay does not give me any voltage at the switch that was sticking the voltmeter in each of the two wires. Will try to put the prong in the <st1>Orange</st1> wire then to a ground, yes?

A natural gas setup was once installed, but is no longer hooked up. Now with that being present, and it being a dual fuel system (engaging the switch modifies the timing and what not for the NG) I could understand some rewiring, but moving that much?

I’m about to the point of running a hotwire to the pump with a toggle, damn all this safety crap…

Last edited by fattmann; 05-28-2006 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo smileys

Quick Reply: Fuel relay location?- 87 E-150 4.9