Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is there a reason to be scared? LSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM
knight60626
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a reason to be scared? LSD

I just started seeing these sign at a few different pumps That I fill up at.

"Low Sulfer Highway Diesel (500 PPM sulfer maximum) "

" Warning Federal law prohibits use in model year 2007 and later highway vehicles and engines. It's use may damage these vehicles and engines"

What the heck is that all about? is a newer diesel going to have to find special stations to fill up at or is the fuel going to mess up our older motors?

I could see a warning label but the federal law crap has got me wondering, I asked at 2 stations and all they could tell me was they jsut put the stickers on there the other day and did not seem to know much anout it.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Check out this article HERE.

Nut

Last edited by PSNut; 05-23-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 AM
knight60626
Senior User
Unhappy

Well as informative as that was it still really did not answer anything for me, but Thank you for it.

Now call me the conspiracy nut But with all the talk lately about Bio diesel and making our own fuel, getting away from the Mid east dependency this kinda seems like a step backward away from all this.

Also thinking about it is this going to be big oil's exxcuse to everyone why the hell diesel is MORE expensive than gas now? I know in some of the areas in the country it is still chepaer than gas But here around Chicagoland ( and I am not meaning in the city ) it seems like we are getting raked over the coals for diesel. In areas that traditionaly were cheaper it is now getting to be the same high price, Right now around 3.15 a gallon. I have a small tank and for the first time ever tonight I reached over 60 bucks, This really sucks.
I will do a little more looking into it but I see something not good on the horizon coming for all us diesel owners.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Another article about having to deal with ULSD. HERE.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:45 AM
knight60626
Senior User
Cool

Well doing some more reading and yea I see it now, We are goin to get the shaft on this.

From the link from first reply.

Q. Will ULSD fuel be more expensive than the current Low Sulfur Diesel fuel?

A. ULSD fuel costs more to refine and distribute than Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. No one can predict with certainty the price of ULSD fuel at the pump. Many factors affect the consumer price of fuels, including the price of crude oil on the global market, geopolitical, weather, transportation and economic events, as well as supply and demand. Visit the Energy Information Administration web site for more information on fuel prices.

Q. How will ULSD fuel affect the power and fuel economy of existing diesel cars, trucks and non-road engines and equipment?

A. Under typical operating conditions, there should be no noticeable impact on overall power using ULSD fuel. Fuel economy may be reduced slightly because the process that removes sulfur also can reduce the energy content of the fuel.

So more expensive to make and reduces the economy, But you can get that all back by useing a additive, Marvelous simply marvelous.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:07 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Yup....just peachy.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 AM
alan hodges
Senior User
I have read and been told that we may see as much as 60 cents a gallon over and above what your paying at the pump now. That would be around 3.60 to 4.20 a gallon here in colorado. I'm sure you will be able to pick up a diesel very cheap if this is true.
I'm looking for a small ranger now so I can leave my psd at home for smaller jobs. My understanding is this is to take place in october of this year.Good luck to all of us with diesels.

Last edited by alan hodges; 05-23-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by knight60626
Now call me the conspiracy nut But with all the talk lately about Bio diesel and making our own fuel, getting away from the Mid east dependency this kinda seems like a step backward away from all this.

Also thinking about it is this going to be big oil's exxcuse to everyone why the hell diesel is MORE expensive than gas now? I know in some of the areas in the country it is still chepaer than gas But here around Chicagoland ( and I am not meaning in the city ) it seems like we are getting raked over the coals for diesel. In areas that traditionaly were cheaper it is now getting to be the same high price, Right now around 3.15 a gallon. I have a small tank and for the first time ever tonight I reached over 60 bucks, This really sucks.
I will do a little more looking into it but I see something not good on the horizon coming for all us diesel owners.
As I understand it, Biodiesel is just diesel. It has no real by-products like oil. As to this mid east dependency crap, that is all it is. doesn't matter where we get our oil from in real life. If you don't buy it, somebody else will. Therefore, the only thing you can do is pat yourself on the back that your dollars don't go there when in reality, money will go there, just not your's. Does it make a real difference? Not a whit. In the summer, travel goes up. They shift to making more gas than diesel. Therefore, diesel goes up.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSNut
Yup....just peachy.
No Doubt! Boy this is the day, now the tree huggers and epa are starting to bend us over.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
knight60626
Senior User
Originally Posted by aklim
As I understand it, Biodiesel is just diesel. It has no real by-products like oil. As to this mid east dependency crap, that is all it is. doesn't matter where we get our oil from in real life. If you don't buy it, somebody else will. Therefore, the only thing you can do is pat yourself on the back that your dollars don't go there when in reality, money will go there, just not your's. Does it make a real difference? Not a whit. In the summer, travel goes up. They shift to making more gas than diesel. Therefore, diesel goes up.
Uhhh NO, as it goes winter has always brought us higher prices at the pump and the explanation has always been that they CUT diesel production to make fuel oil and having to make the winter blend.

As far as making a difference to where my money or as a country where are money goes, In my opinion ( as well as others ) there are alternative fuels that can be made from corn, soy, and other plant life so as a nation if we were to say go green or whatever you want to call it useing E85 (for gas) and Bio diesel, And say that we used half of what we do now it would make a dramatic dent in the price of crude. So does a make a difference? Yep

Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by knight60626
Uhhh NO, as it goes winter has always brought us higher prices at the pump and the explanation has always been that they CUT diesel production to make fuel oil and having to make the winter blend.

As far as making a difference to where my money or as a country where are money goes, In my opinion ( as well as others ) there are alternative fuels that can be made from corn, soy, and other plant life so as a nation if we were to say go green or whatever you want to call it useing E85 (for gas) and Bio diesel, And say that we used half of what we do now it would make a dramatic dent in the price of crude. So does a make a difference? Yep
Dunno. That was something I read about them making more gas than diesel for summer travel. If that were true then we get it in the shorts on 2 fronts. Winter and Summer. Maybe Fall and Spring would be better?

I wouldn't use E85 unless it was the only thing advailable and I was empty. I used it before. I drive my car to nearly empty and fill up. E85, power and mileage sucked. Regular, mileage came back. E85 and it sucked, regular and it was good. Never again. As to us using half of what we do now, we can also leave reality and go into fantazy land where the car gets 200 mpg. We can grow the stuff to make fuel. However, that is going to take a lot of infrastructure change to increase greatly the amount of agriculture here. Not sure if we have enough land to support all that but that would take decades to do assuming it was feasible at all. So, would it make a dent in the price of crude? It depends. If we use 100 barrels of crude and cut it down to 50 but China and India ramp up their demand by 100, what difference is there? It has to be a world wide thing before it will make sense.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya know what, I don't care if china, and India triple the amount of money they send to the middle east, if we quit sending money there than atleast the terrorists aren't using my own money to try and kill me. Maybe it doesn't make a wits worth of difference, but to a cop nothing would be more embarrasing than to be shot by your own gun in hte hands of a known criminal, unless you willingly gave your gun to him, and I feel about the same about giving money to those terrorist states. Another way to look at it, if we get off of using mideast oil and we have to gert serious about the war on terrorism then nuking the entire place won't affect us, China might take it in the shorts but if we have become energy independent then we don't have to walk on egg shells around over there.
I have started making my own biodiesel recently, haven't actually checked the mileage with a calculator yet, but I can tell you that before I started running it my lieometer was reading 15-16 consistantly, right now with this tank runnning it at 25% bio my lieometer says 21.4, and my engine hasn't sounded this good ever.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Ya know what, I don't care if china, and India triple the amount of money they send to the middle east, if we quit sending money there than atleast the terrorists aren't using my own money to try and kill me. Maybe it doesn't make a wits worth of difference, but to a cop nothing would be more embarrasing than to be shot by your own gun in hte hands of a known criminal, unless you willingly gave your gun to him, and I feel about the same about giving money to those terrorist states. Another way to look at it, if we get off of using mideast oil and we have to gert serious about the war on terrorism then nuking the entire place won't affect us, China might take it in the shorts but if we have become energy independent then we don't have to walk on egg shells around over there.

I have started making my own biodiesel recently, haven't actually checked the mileage with a calculator yet, but I can tell you that before I started running it my lieometer was reading 15-16 consistantly, right now with this tank runnning it at 25% bio my lieometer says 21.4, and my engine hasn't sounded this good ever.
I suppose. In my book the bullet hurts whichever gun it is from and I tend to look at it without all the frills. Besides, most of our oil comes from South America, not Saudi Arabia. In any case, we don't have the stones to nuke any of those states. We don't even have the nerve to send in the required number of troops to secure it so our troops are getting shot like swiss cheese. So, you still think we have the stones to nuke anything? I don't. It isn't how big a stick you have in your cupboard. It is how big a stick you will bring to a fight that counts. At this time, they bring out the biggest thing they have and we bring a few twigs and wave it. Sounds like a paper tiger with a loud roar.

That sounds like a 33% gain. Not sure why tho. You might be getting bad fuel there. I went to Woodmans with my 99E300 Turbodiesel and it usually runs about 640 miles from fill to empty. Went to Woodmans and it dropped to 550 miles. Went to somewhere else and it went up. Back to Woodmans an it dropped. Also power sucked. Conclusion, Woodmans fuel sucked. I tried B20 once and noticed a mileage drop so I am not sure how it works. AFAIK the BTU in biodiesel is less than diesel. If you towed with it, would the power be more? I doubt it.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 818 Likes on 624 Posts
Monsterbaby I agree 100%.
I don't have the time or place to have a Bio-diesel production area, so I have been filling up with commercially available Bio for a while now. I don't want to give any money to them either.
It's like a drop going over Niagra Falls during the spring thaw, but I sleep better at night.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
aklim, this isn't personal so please don't take it that way, ok? BTU numbers are thrown around by people trying to convince us that bio fuels aren't the answer, well personally I don't believe that btu numbers are the total answer or even a total on the equation, everyone that I know of that has tried biodiesel, and is honest about it has liked it, most have gotten better fuel economy, almost all people report quieter running engine, and I haven't seen one single back to back dyno pull that proves it reduces power, infact last weekend I towed 20k with my truck had B20 in the tank for part of the trip then had to fuel up with straight #2 didn't notice any increase or decrease in the power for the second half of hte trip, and I got better than 10mpg by the pen not the lieometer. Using the btu numbers seems to me like people claiming hp increases in thier cars by running higher octane gas, I gaurentee you that if you take your gas vehicle and put the 112 octane race fuel I run in it (this is assuming you have a car that the stuff wouldn't totally destroy every sensor in it) the power will actually decrease, yet almost every single person that has tried it claims a lot more power.

Quick Reply: Is there a reason to be scared? LSD