1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 Diesel Wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:04 AM
moonshiner1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Diesel Wont start.

Ok, so my diesel wont start. I got in it this morning and it started up fine, nothing wrong, left the truck ideling for bout 2min came back and the truck went into a rough idle, then coughed and died. I thought it might be the oil pressure, so i look at the oil and it was low two quarts and needed to be changed, so I completly changed the oil, put in a new filter, then drained the fuel filter case, and replaced the fuel filter, and then replaced the air filter, mainly cause it was dirty. So.. my truck still didnt start, it wasn't the batteries cause they were both charged, and the engine turned over fine, I just couldnt get the engine to fire. So, my question is, What the hell do i do next?
Thanks
Similar problem to another guy on the forum.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:40 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:04 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Welcome to FTE. You'll get all the answers here. Your truck will be running again soon. Is your tachometer moving when you're cranking the engine over? On the front of the top of the engine thee is a rectangular box which is your high pressure oil pump reservoir. There is an allen head plug in the top of it. Pull that out and make sure the tank is full of oil. If not fill it up and try to start it.

We try to keep it clean here. It is much appreciated by all if everyone posts without swearing. Keep coming back.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 AM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
i think it sounds like a CPS. i dont know much about them so some other guys will have to tell you how to change it and where to buy it. if that is even the problem...
Mitch

Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM
moonshiner1
New User
every gauge indicates life, I get white smoke out the back of my exhaust, the batteries are 3mo old, and the glowplugs are relatively new, and the temp outside is 60-70*. Will check the hpop system today.

Old 04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
big inch
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely check the oil level in the hpop resevoir. Also, how much fuel was in the fuel filter housing when you changed the filter?

Old 04-16-2006, 06:20 PM
walt1968
Senior User
I had that problem of not starting with the white smoke boiling out of the pipe. Come to find out it was the glow plug realy that was the problem. I tried starting it multiple times after installing the relay, plugged it in for 4 hours...nothing, I put it inside the shop at 70° for the rest of the day....nothing. Now I hate to say what I am going to say, but it worked and I had to get home. I gave it a breath and I do mean a breath of hot shot in the breather and it took off with no rattle and was fine after that. Been starting fine ever since. I replaced the glow plugs not 2 months before that happened as I was having problems before that in the fall. Ran all winter and started no problem. I myself don't condone the use of hot shot and basically I will read the riot act to any one of my guys that use it at work, but in this case I will eat my words and say that I did use it, but in an emergency I will use it if it means me getting home.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
moonshiner1
New User
no, need it wasnt the hpop resivoir, which by the way is pretty hard to find. Turned out it was just air in the line because one of our tanks ran dry on me without me knowing it. Anyway the truck runs again, thanks for all the help.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
glad it was an easy fix and that you got id done so fast.
Mitch