1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Still Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Roamineye
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Leaking Oil

I've been trying to locate an oil leak that has grown worse over the last month or so. I thought at first it was the EBPV actuator, so pulled the turbo and gutted the EBPV and actuator and replace the pedestal o-rings. The leak is still there.

I have oil accumulating in the valley and running out the drain hole at the rear of the engine. It's accumulating under the HPOP near the front of the engine. I've inspected the HPOP fittings that are visible/accessible from the top, and made sure they are tight, but didn't find anything leaking.

What fittings or assemblies are below the HPOP and fuel filter housing that might be suspect?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
1.One sign of your fuel pump starting to go is that it leaks oil. 2. There is an oil temp sender unit on the back of the HPOP reservoir. I've seen all kinds of senders leak over the years.3. There are two steel braid lines that come off the HPOP and go to each of the two heads. I would check the steel braids and make sure they're tight. 4. There is always the chance that your valve cover is leaking, although they usually leak from the outside or the rear of the head. 5. IPR on the driver's side of the HPOP. Has two o-rings inside to seal it inside HPOP and keep high pressure to injectors. Possible leak there? If you take off the fuel line and the fitting you can get a 1 1/8 inch box wrench on it after you pull off the tin nut and the spacer and the solenoid.

You mentioned last time I think that the oil level does not go down? It may be diesel that looks like oil after it runs down engine and picks up dirt and oil. There are three little rubber fuel lines on the back of the fuel filter canister that exist in a hot, dry area that will dry them out and crack them. Regular fuel line does not last long at all. You need to get a foot of special, expensive fuel injection rubber hose. Take the old ones off and cut the new ones the exact same length. You need to remove the two bolts that hold fuel canister in place to lift fuel filter canister up to be able to get the back one on the bottom. Half hour for all three. I cut the lower back one in half and then take the two halves off after you pull up on the canister.

That's all I can think of right now. Been a long day.

Last edited by F350_Hauler; 04-08-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Roamineye
Senior User
F350_Hauler - thanks! I'm sure it's engine oil collecting in the valley. I lost about 2 quarts on a 100 mile drive a couple of weeks ago. Also, the fuel pump is fairly new - doesn't mean it's not bad, but less likely to be the culprit. I do suspect the HPOP, though.

Something I didn't mention in my first post - at idle with a warm engine, the oil pressure gage will sometimes indicate low oil pressure. The gage gets flakey and jumps back and forth between zero and normal, and occasionally pegs at zero when the oil is hot and thin, like after a long drive. I know the oil pressure gage is "go-no go" like an idiot light, but it hasn't done this until just recently. It may be related to the leak I'm trying to find - if this info gives you any new ideas, please let me know.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
The oil pressure sender is on top of the HPOP to the left(passenger side).It's somewhat covered on the back side by the wire loom. There is a small chance it is leaking down the back of the HPOP reservoir, under the wires.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
sounds like the gasket between the hpop and the resivoir.

the pressure gauge is a idiot light, just goes to normal at 7psi

Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Calling TJBeggs

He just pulled his HPOP reservoir. Maybe he can give his thoughts on this.