Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injectors are in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
So now gentlemen, (and ladies if present) those of you who have replaced your injectors before: how long does it take the HPOP rails to completly purge themselves of air? I'm still hearing evidence of air in the rails after driving for two days worth of errands and commuting for a total of about 50 miles. I'll get a miss at light throttle settings right after a long coast and then reapply the throttle with a very light setting, just cruising along in traffic. If I give it more throttle then it clears out and runs on all 8. Or it will miss at idle for a long time. It reminds me of trying to get air bubbles out of a collapsed lifter. You just have to drive it out.
I've been told 50 miles is the bare minimum, and that's if you agressively purge the system. I've seen a few folks post that it took as many as 200 miles to completely purge the rails.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Scott, not to sound pompous, I've not done the injector replacement. Here are my thoughts based on Kwikk's post:

Could you suck/syphon the oil out of the HPO rail in the head after removing a plug like the one commonly used for the HPX, or one of the lines. And:

Same for fuel rails at each of rear ports in order to minimize some of the mess after install in evacuating the cylinders?

Just thought these might work to make it a little bit easier or reduce some mess.

On edit: of course I'm referring to doing this before removal of anything from the heads.
I thought of doing that, but there is no way to get all the oil from the HPOP rails. There are these chambers machined into the injectors that hold a lot of oil. When you pull the injectors that oil immediatly falls into the cylinder and you end up having to purge them anyway. So I decided to just pull the rear injectors as they are at the bottom of the slope and let it all drain there.
I made a mess of things because I was inexperienced at this particular job. I would do it again the same way because it's the quickest easiest way to get the job done. What I would do differently is rig some way of holding a small cup upside down over the injector hole to stop any squirting oil from flying out. The cup would stop the oil from squirting up against the air conditioner housing and allow the oil to drip back down into the crankcase.
Trying to hassle with the HPOP and fuel rail plugs IMO just adds to the time, they run down the valley and the backside of the block. You don't have to worry about making a mess as long as you rig a way to stop the flying oil.

Hope this helps y'all. We all can learn from one another's mistakes.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Scott, it's not that hard to wheel the engine over with a long breaker bar and a 24mm socket.

And Tenn01, that's a good idea, filling the HPOP rails.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
I've been told 50 miles is the bare minimum, and that's if you agressively purge the system. I've seen a few folks post that it took as many as 200 miles to completely purge the rails.
200 miles eh? Ok I'll drive it for a while this weekend and see how it turns out.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understood. I think when I have to do mine I will do the same by pulling the rear injector. Because I am **** I will use a syringe and tube and suck out what I can before I proceed. Like I said, this is because I am ****.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Get a big one, like a turkey baster. There's a lot of oil in the rails.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
One final note and I will leave you alone. Have you changed your oil?

Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
One final note and I will leave you alone. Have you changed your oil?
About 1000 miles ago, using Mobil 1 Delvac 5-40. Nice and clean inside.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Did you not have diesel fuel sitting on top of your pistons? I would be very concerned about that since rings are not totally waterproof if you will.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Did you not have diesel fuel sitting on top of your pistons? I would be very concerned about that since rings are not totally waterproof if you will.
Not enough to worry about. The fuel rail doesn't hold much and it got mixed in with what fell into the cylinders which was then blown back out within a few minutes when I turned the engine over.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
OK, I hope you are right. Just trying to help. I couldn't sleep knowing that. Too much already expended.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
bivman
New User
Injectors are in

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Not enough to worry about. The fuel rail doesn't hold much and it got mixed in with what fell into the cylinders which was then blown back out within a few minutes when I turned the engine over.
Kwik, what a great write up. I couldn't have done it without you.

This is my first post and I have replaced injectors 1 & 8 with rebuilds from DieselCare in Memphis. I also pulled all the injectors and replaced all of the gaskets on all injectors.

I put it back together and it took a couple cranks to get it started. I let it run for probably about 5 minutes, then shut it down to finish putting my tools away in preparation of a test drive. It started back up and seemed to run a little rough, similar to the way it ran before the injector work.

So, I get about 100 or 200 yards down my street and the truck just dies. I coast over to the side of the street where I couldn't get it started again that night. The next day, 7-9-08, I put 2 new CostCo batteries in for more cranking. It did start but only for about 2 minutes, I went around to close the hood to drive it home and it died again.

Is this related to air in the fuel or oil lines? I saw that one must drive the air out over 50 to 200 miles but I can't seem to get out of my neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
bivman, start a new thread and give as much detail as you can. Welcome to FTE. We need details to help you along the way.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bivman
Kwik, what a great write up. I couldn't have done it without you.

This is my first post and I have replaced injectors 1 & 8 with rebuilds from DieselCare in Memphis. I also pulled all the injectors and replaced all of the gaskets on all injectors.

I put it back together and it took a couple cranks to get it started. I let it run for probably about 5 minutes, then shut it down to finish putting my tools away in preparation of a test drive. It started back up and seemed to run a little rough, similar to the way it ran before the injector work.

So, I get about 100 or 200 yards down my street and the truck just dies. I coast over to the side of the street where I couldn't get it started again that night. The next day, 7-9-08, I put 2 new CostCo batteries in for more cranking. It did start but only for about 2 minutes, I went around to close the hood to drive it home and it died again.

Is this related to air in the fuel or oil lines? I saw that one must drive the air out over 50 to 200 miles but I can't seem to get out of my neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for the help.
It sounds like something electrical came loose. I'll look around for that other thread that is mentioned.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
James_02 f250
New User
i have an 02 f250 and i am pretty new to the mods portion of the motor. when i bought it it already had a super chip installed and a homemade chip that was run directly into the engine itself. i put a straight 4 inch into a 5 inch cannon and havent had any real problems with my truckat all. i dont know if the injectors have ever been replaced and would like to start now. any suggestions on where to start?

Quick Reply: Injectors are in!!!