Notices

Spray-On Bed liners: Rhino vs Speedliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Izzyg: Whoa! Bringing back a old thread! I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, but I think I should explain a few things. Some of this might be a repeat, but you won't have to go back and re-read this thread from 2006.

Professional bedliners are usually one of the following major base component(s):
100% polyurethane (not as strong, soft)
Hybrid polyurethane and polyurea (stronger, harder)
100% polyurea (strongest, hardest)

LINE-X XS-100 is a hybrid and Speedliner 1000 is 100% polyurea. Now, most bedliner companies these days, believe that the hybrid product makes the best spray-on bedliner. Here's why: 100% polyurethane (like Rhino's old Tuff Stuff) proved to be too weak of a product for truck bedliners. But, it had great grip. 100% polyurea is strong, but it's way to hard. It does not keep your payload in place and it does not allow for very much impact protection. A hybrid is strong, still allows for impact protection, and still allows for your payload to stay in place. LINE-X XS-100 has always been a hybrid and according to Frost & Sullivan, LINE-X has the largest spray-on bedliner market share. LINE-X does have a 100% polyurea product, called XS-350, but LINE-X feels like the XS-100 is a better product for truck bedliners.

OK, here some more information regarding LINE-X and Speedliner specifically.

Speedliner is solvent based and is not environmentally friendly. (LINE-X does not contain any solvents). The solvent in Speedliner is ethyl acetate (EA). EA is EXTREMELY dangerous, its vapors are literally explosive. Speedliner requires a primer to be applied to the truck first. The reasons for this are: 1. Polyurea alone does not have good adhesion and 2. Speedliner is applied using a brush, roller, or hopper gun at about 90-100 psi which is considered low pressure and 3. Speedliner is not heated which does not lower the viscosity. LINE-X does not require a primer for truck beds because: 1. LINE-X is a hybrid and polyurethane has much better adhesion properties than polyurea and 2. LINE-X uses high pressure at about 2,000 psi which forces the bedliner product into the scuffed surface of the truck bed and 3. LINE-X is heated to about 130 degrees which lowers the viscosity and allows for better penetration into the scuffed surface. Also, I'll mention that Speedliner's primer also contains EA. LINE-X dealers do have primers available for other applications, if needed, and they are commonly used for XS-350 applications.

Regarding DuPont Kevlar: LINE-X is the ONLY DuPont authorized user of Kevlar for spray-on truck bedliners. LINE-X Xtra is a co-branded LINE-X/DuPont product which is sort of interesting because it's the only co-branded product DuPont has ever been involved with. Keep in mind we're talking DuPont here. LINE-X and DuPont spent over two years developing the Xtra product. Now, Speedliner dealers open a little packet of Kevlar fibers and pour it into the "A" side or isocyanate. Well, that's not very scientific. It's very possible that the fibers actually WEAKEN the Speedliner bedliner by interfering with the isocyanate/resin reaction. In order for the Kevlar fibers to actually add strength, it's important how the fibers line up with each other and where they end up in the solution (like top, middle, or bottom). Xtra contains products that help the fibers fall into the proper position. Again, DuPont and LINE-X tested and developed this over several years.

Well, this is a long post, but I hope it provides some useful information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Izzyg
New User
Smile speedliner

Hey Truckdaddy....

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the toxicity of the speedliner spray-in liners. I used to work paint and auto body for several years. That is why OSHA standards dictate that speedliner dealers have to have the same, auto-paint booth system w/air supply and sub-micro filteration system if it is applied in spray form. However you may not be aware that dupont contracted w/speedliner when the formula was created, due to it being a former dupont chemist who came up with the speedliner formula. It was created so that auto colors could be blended w/the liner to produce a perfect color match, and the kevlar bonds with the the adhesive resin that is mixed in. All it requires for the kevlar to be applied is to open the spray jets slightly in the grav gun you are using. Now it does have a 72hr cure time because you don't bake it like a paint job, but it does have a much higher tensile strength than other liners once fully cured.

And as I said, the painting tech/dealer that installed it told me that if it were to chauk or fade in under 10yrs to bring it back to be fully redone free! And after 24hrs of installation when I picked up the truck, the tech took a flathead screwdriver and ran it across the bed very hard! It didn't leave so much as a mark! I was very impressed by that after - almost punched him while he did it! Hahahaha....

Hope this maybe gives ya some more information! I do plan to put the liner through some tests because I was dead close to getting a line-x before I got this one! If it fails the dealer will remove it, do a refund, and repaint the bed of my truck! ;-)

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Well, that conflicts with what DuPont told LINE-X dealers at our Xtra training that was conducted by DuPont. I was in the second class that was given by DuPont. Oh well..

Speedliner is aliphatic and that's good, but according to Speedliner's website, it states that after 2,000 hours (that's less than 3 months), the bedliner can lose up to 20% of it's gloss. That's evident in the pics below. LINE-X Xtra won't lose it's gloss. DuPont has Xtra test panels out in the sun in Florida and the periodically run tests on them.

Here's a Speedliner color match on the steps, rockers, and flares. I don't know how old it is but you can sure see that it has lost its gloss.
Name:  speedliner2-1.jpg
Views: 4329
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  speedliner1-1.jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  54.0 KB

Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Izzyg
New User
Smile Speedliner

Hey thanks Truckdaddy,

I remember that line-x uses that special UV coating which locks in the color, which prevents it from fading. I guess its good that I just chose the regular black liner instead of adding color. The dealer did say that they had a uv protectant they would mix if I wanted it a different color, but that was another $100 more for that additive! So I opted for the regular black.

Like I said, I am going to put it through some tests and see how it does. Thanks for all your input! :-)

Oh... and some recent additions to my F150 also were, a stainless Magnaflow exhaust, and K&N model 63 cold air intake. The exhaust increased my gas mileage by about 3 mpg. Lets see how it does with this intake!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Set aside the application process and look at the facts. Speedliner tensile strength is 4800 psi. Contrast that to Line-X 2200 psi and Rhino at 1800 psi, they're is no comparison. Speedliner will fade at a very much slower rate when compared to the other two. Why? Because they use automotive pigments in the coloring process. Automotive pigments fade at a much slower rate, these are the same pigments that go into the color of your vehicle. Speedliner uses PPG pigments. I've had Speedliner in my truck for 8 years now and its as black and glossy as the day it was put on. Speedliner can have Kevlar mediated fiber mixed in for absolutely insane strength, whats nice is that the end liner still holds onto the cargo in the bed of the truck but not so tacky that it's soft when hot like other liners. Speedliner can be color matched with the vehicle, dealer needs door color code for mixing. Speedliner has 18 colors available. The only color that needs a top coat is white. If you want more info let me know

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Tensile means pulling. The bedliner is in (for the most part) as static position and attached to a substrate. So, there won't be too much pulling going on.

LINE-X Xtra uses DuPont automotive pigments and can also be color matched to anything. LINE-X Xtra contains DuPont Kevlar as prescribed by DuPont directly. Speedliner is restricted on the use of colors. They can only add 4 oz of pigment per gallon. If they use more than that, the bedliner becomes milky. So, if you can't get to the color with 4 oz/gallon, you're out of luck. LINE-X Xtra does not have that problem.

Speedliner has never published results of tests of with and without Kevlar in the bedliner. Again, it's very possible that the Kevlar fibers actually interfere with the isocyanate bonding to the resin which would actually weaken the bedliner.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Shear force is the predominate force that effects bedliners. Shear force is basically a form of lateral stress measured by tensile strength i.e. when you slide pallets across the surface with a fork truck. The ability for a coating to shed off the stress of seperation as you know is measured in the tensile strength. Bending of this coating is another important aspect, it speaks to the pliability and ability to deflect blunt impact. If the material in it's cured state doesn't have any give to it. It's abilityto give underload will often times compromise the liner.Take a sample of Speedliner and Line-X of same size and bend them repeatedly, when compared to Line-X, the Line-x will fracture and split in two pieces in approx. 10-12 bends. Speedliner will outlast your fingers and will not break or crack.I once bet an individual a six pack of beer that he could not tear or pull apart a sample of Speedliner, after 15 minutes he gave up and I enjoyed my beer.What I mean by this is if you take a sample of two identical samples in size and thickness, you can sit there and bend or fold Speedliner back and forth till your fingers fall off
I am not here to product bash just being truthful. I happen to know Speedliner very well and am representing it as such.
I misrepresented the tensile strength in my earlier post. Sorry,my bad.
Speedliner w/o Kevlar is 4500 psi
Speedliner with Kevlar 4800 psi
Speedliner is infinetly colorable. If theyre is a paint code it can be done..
Some of the lighter colors can be difficult such as silver, white and lighter metallic flakes such as pearlescent and this is due to U/V stability and may yellow without a topcoat.
I'm not sure and I'm asking. Does Line-X topcoat they're different colors or are the pigments mixed thru and thru, the reason why I ask is if you were to gouge Line-X and get into the meat of the liner the non-colored liner will be showing. Speedliner mixes it into the mix and is then sprayed on the vehicle so it its the same color underneath as well as on top.
Speedliner has a nice top coat system where the dealer can airbrush or spray your favoite Team logo or Chevy bowtie in the bed or anything else you like.
Want a more non-skid surface?Your Speedliner dealer can mix aggregates into the hybrid. Take your pick from Aluminum oxide 60 grit particulate, Rubber Crumb or Fine screened sand. These finishes are about as slip resistent as you can get without resorting to velcro.
I want to make this clear. I think both of these bedliner systems are very good systems and would probably get a Line-X liner if there wasn't a Speedliner dealer close by. Everybody has different priorities and Speedliner meets my priorities the best. Just my .02
This is a great thread and its nice that topics can be politely debated in this forum. All to often dealerships tell you want to hear and are often short on facts. Forums like this help to clear the air.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
To answer your question about pigment, the answer is both. LINE-X is pigmented all the way through (by mixing the pigment into resin prior to spraying) AND has a extra topcoat.

LINE-X can also be applied with aluminum oxide.

Here's sort of a neat pic, six different LINE-X products in one pic.

White background: XS-100 (bedliner product with Xtra).
Blue: XS-130 Softer than XS-100.
Brown (top middle): XS-350 Similiar to LINE-X Paxcon which has been applied to the U.S. Pentagon, U.S. submarines, and Force Protection's MRAP.
Light gray: XS-252 Flame resistant.
Black: CU-400 Castable and self leveling (tensile is 6,500 psi).
Tan: SE-500 Highly chemical resistant.

Name:  LINEXSamp1.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  158.2 KB

EDIT: Customer just brought these in, I thought you might like to see these Alien Patrol bumpers. Were going to apply black LINE-X with Xtra.
Name:  AlienPatrol2.jpg
Views: 4257
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  AlienPatrol1.jpg
Views: 4279
Size:  82.6 KB

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
KaiserM715
Senior User
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy
EDIT: Customer just brought these in, I thought you might like to see these Alien Patrol bumpers. Were going to apply black LINE-X with Xtra.
Any after pics?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Here you go! Note: As you can see, there are LOTS of sun reflections which the camera shows as a white color. So, while the bumpers look fairly good in the pics, they look much better in person.

Name:  AlienPatrol4.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  AlienPatrol3.jpg
Views: 4468
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  AlienPatrol6.jpg
Views: 4268
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  AlienPatrol5.jpg
Views: 4284
Size:  90.7 KB

Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
wantaford
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Rhino Liner in my '92 F-250. It held up well to gouging. The only problem I had with it was the color match kept fading and turning to green. It was supposed to be dk blue but after 60 days it was fading to green. The Rhino Liner dealer would fix it by spraying a top coat on it. The top coat would wear off or fade to green. This happened two or three times until I sold the truck. I swore if I got another Rhino Liner it would be just black and no color matching.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Originally Posted by wantaford
I had a Rhino Liner in my '92 F-250. The only problem I had with it was the color match kept fading and turning to green.
You won't have that problem with LINE-X Xtra.
Name:  PuebloGold3.jpg
Views: 7349
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  Plat1.jpg
Views: 4309
Size:  128.5 KB

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
BullyDogJason
Former Vendor
Ive never even heard of speed liner. Id like to get a line-x tho

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
DavidCote357
New User
Post Speedliner alternative

A great alternative to Speedliner is one I used on my bed from a company called Spray-lining. You can get it done from a local dealer, if you have one in your area, or you can get a kit from the manufacturer and do it yourself. All you need is an air compressor and time to do it right. It costs way less and if you have it done by one of their dealers, you get a lifetime warranty that you can transfer when (if) you ever sell your truck to the new owner.

I was so happy with them, I even posted stuff about them on my FB page.
Course, I'll admit, I'm biased, some of my friends are dealers or dealer wannabees....

Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Originally Posted by DavidCote357
A great alternative to Speedliner is one I used on my bed from a company called Spray-lining. You can get it done from a local dealer, if you have one in your area, or you can get a kit from the manufacturer and do it yourself. All you need is an air compressor and time to do it right. It costs way less and if you have it done by one of their dealers, you get a lifetime warranty that you can transfer when (if) you ever sell your truck to the new owner.

I was so happy with them, I even posted stuff about them on my FB page.
Course, I'll admit, I'm biased, some of my friends are dealers or dealer wannabees....
Spray-Linings website has a bunch of wrong and bad information, I say buyer beware.

Quick Reply: Spray-On Bed liners: Rhino vs Speedliner