Aerostar Ford Aerostar

ABS Light on caused by leaking Combination Brake Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
rpokorny
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Light on caused by leaking Combination Brake Valve

Greetings, haven’t been here for a while, my 92 aero hasn’t had any strange problems for a while either. Here is one for the books. Yesterday, the ABS light came on. The brakes felt fine, so I checked all four wheels. No leaks. Then I checked the Master Cylinder. It was way down. I filled it and the ABS light went out. When I got home, I checked around for leaks. I found an item the shop manual refers to as a combination brake valve. It is just below the MC. It has a small opening on one side and that is where the fluid was leaking. Not much though, just a drop or two per day. I cleaned it up and sure enough it was wet after a day. The dealer here wanted $200.00 for a new one and didn’t have any in stock as they say these valves never fail. I went to the bone yard and got one for $10.00 and it worked perfect. The strange thing is that I didn’t have to bleed the brakes. I put it together, took off all the wheels and got ready to bleed the brakes. I started it tried to pump the brake pedal a little only to find it went down about an inch and was rock solid. I put it together and when for a drive. The Brakes work perfectly. I have never worked on the brakes before where I didn’t have to bleed them. This is the strangest experience I have ever had with brakes.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Sometimes the brakes will clear themselves of air particularly when the opened part is near and below the mc. This is likely what happened in your case. I have changed many mcs without bleeding the brakes. If your pedal is fine, do not worry.

Your problem is not strange, that is exactly what I would expect.

Ken

Old 03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Originally Posted by rpokorny
The dealer here wanted $200.00 for a new one and didn’t have any in stock as they say these valves never fail.
I went through the same deal on my 94. I would recommend a full bleed and total change of fluid. The brake fluid seems to hold water, and it causes rust in the valves and wheel cylinders. I think if I had done a full bleed every couple of years, it would have saved me a grand.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
A full brake bleed is always good.

ken

Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
One other common problem is corrosion forming in the chamber containing the shuttle valve. There is a switch screwed into the front of the combination valve that detects the shuttle valve shuttling from either a leaking circuit or aggressive bleeding. But it doesn't seem to be very waterproof, so moisture gets in. The corrosion that forms will short out the switch, triggering a brake system failure, which causes the ABS system to stop working (light comes on).

Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
rpokorny
Freshman User
I will probably still do a complete bleed of the system, but It works so well right now I don't want to mess with it for a while. It's spring break here and I promised the family a full week of fun.

I think this valve must have been defective for a long time. For years the van behaved strangely during heavy braking. If I had to do a fast stop, the brakes seemed to grab nicely for a few seconds and then they felt like they let go. The dealer said this was normal for this van. I didn't like it, but I thought the dealer knew what they were talking about. Now with this replacement valve, the brakes grab and don't let go. It's a nice change.

One other thing about this valve. the new one has a type of rubber plug in the front of it while the old one just had this tiny hole where the fluid started to come out I think the plug must have come off at some point.

Last edited by rpokorny; 03-27-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:04 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
That is the way the crappy rabs system is supposed to work. It scared the heck out of me on a hard stop once. The rabs system keeps decreasing rear brakes until they are not there. I replaced my rabs system with an adjustable proportioning valve and never had better brakes. see other posts on the subject. rabs sucks.

Ken

Old 03-28-2006, 07:28 PM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Originally Posted by ken1mod
That is the way the crappy rabs system is supposed to work. It scared the heck out of me on a hard stop once. The rabs system keeps decreasing rear brakes until they are not there. I replaced my rabs system with an adjustable proportioning valve and never had better brakes. see other posts on the subject. rabs sucks.

Ken
By chance, do you have a step-by-step instruction and part numbers for the valve? I wouldn't mind having real brakes again.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Search my previous posts on the rabs subject. It is easy to install an adjustable proportioning valve. It works very well.

ken