New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards

Regardless of if you have a grill guard or brush guard on your vehicle you need to get involved with this. Who knows what they will try to ban next. Probably lifts, oversized tires, and step bars.

This is directly from the SEMA website:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
New York Introduces Bill to Ban the Use of Grille/Brush Guards

A bill (A.B. 10116) has been introduced in the New York Legislature to prohibit the public road use of motor vehicles equipped with a grille or brush guard. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee for consideration and a vote.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to A.B. 10116.

* A.B. 10116 relies on unsubstantiated claims that these grille guards create the potential of greater harm to other vehicles in the event of a collision.

* A.B. 10116 relies on unsubstantiated claims that grille guards obstruct airbag sensors, rendering the airbags useless in an accident.

* A.B. 10116 would require owners of vehicles currently equipped with grille guards (including those purchased with this equipment from a dealership) to remove these guards.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the New York Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to this bill.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem @ sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

New York Assembly Transportation Committee

David F. Gantt, Chair
518-455-5606

Marc Alessi
alessim @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5294

Darrel J. Aubertine
aubertd @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5545

Jim Bacalles
bacallj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5791

Pat Casale
casalep @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5777

Michael Cusick
518-455-5526

Ruben Diaz, Jr.
diazr @ assembly.state.ny.us

Francine DelMonte
delmonf @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5284

Sam Hoyt
hoyts @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4886

Ivan C. Lafayette
lafayei @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4545

George S. Latimer
latimeg @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4897

John W. Lavelle
lavellj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4677

Charles D. Lavine
lavinec @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5456

Donna Lupardo
lupardd @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5431

Pat Manning
manninp @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5177

David G. McDonough
McDonoD @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4633

Brian M. McLaughlin
mclaugb @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5172

Jimmy Meng
mengj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5411

Joan L. Millman
millmaj @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5426

Matthew Mirones
mironem @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5716

Chris Ortloff
ortlofc @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5943

N. Nick Perry
perryn @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-4166

Paul D. Tonko
tonkop @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-5197

Harvey Weisenberg
weisenh @ assembly.state.ny.us
518-455-3028

For the link to actual article follow this:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62090

Please note that I had to put spaces in the email addresses so that they would show. Post up your thoughts and what you did.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
you think that includes bull bars?

someone who is email savy should put together an email with all those addresses in it and send it to us all so we can send it out from each of us
i'm sure there has to be a way to go that no?

Old 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Jason - I agree. After I posted it I got thinking there has got to be an easy way that a form letter could be done and sent via email to all of these people from each of us. I just wanted to get it up so people are aware of the bill and start doing something about it. If we sit back and do nothing we will end up like Massachusetts where modifications are severely limited to the point that you can't put an aftermarket exhaust system on your vehicle.

I don't know for sure about bull bars, but on another forum I am on a member was saying it does include bull bars and light bars. To me this bill is stupid. The rhino bars on my Range Rover which came installed from the factory has saved my Rover from severe damage from three deer just last year. Plus manufacturered grill guards and brush guards by law must not interfer with the operation of an airbag equipped vehicle so the bill writers don't even know what they are talking about.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
this would be a very bad day for me

Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 AM
cowlady
Elder User
This is just 1 more reason why I want to get out of NYS for good. As long as my Mom is alive I have to stay. Just be warned - someday you will need a new CL because I'll be residing in a SANER state.
I'll try to compose a form letter & post it here. Then you have my permission to copy/paste it & send it out.
If any of you have any hard FACTS about this post it ASAP. Trying to appeal to a politician's sense of fair play & reasoning with them is not going to work. It's a stupid idea - stupider than a stump sucking horse. We need to PROVE our case if we stand ANY chance of beating this.
If you belong to any other boards/off road groups or truck enthusiast groups pass this word along - NOW!!!! There's strength in numbers!
Okay boys & girls - hitch up your pants & get ready to dance! We HAVE to fight this!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM
cowlady
Elder User
Here's some articles against brush guards. These are the points we need to counter in our emails/calls.
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=70223
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...per/Index.html
Now, in the 2nd link I found this excerpt. If Federal regs do not apply to us, how can NYS override that?
4) Are all vehicle classes required to meet the Federal bumper standard?
No. The Federal bumper standard does not apply to vehicles other than passenger cars (i.e., sport utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans, or pickups trucks). The agency has chosen not to regulate bumper performance or elevation for these vehicle classes because of the potential compromise to the vehicle utility in operating on loading ramps and off road situations.

C'mon guys - even if you don't have 1 on your truck we still need to support each other. Every time the gov't steps IN they step ON us. Remeber that!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Ang - That is exactly why I posted this. It affects each and everyone of us regardless of if you run grill guards or brush guards. If they manage to pass this bill what will be next on their hit list?!? Step bars?!? Oh....sorry Ang. I forgot that was a sore subject with you. But serious they could outlaw any modifications to your vehicles like what is happening in Massachusetts. And it isn't just trucks there. It is ALL vehicles. So don't move to Massachusetts or California if you are looking for a more sane state. Those two are definitely not!!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Living in California I am familiar with stupid laws. I would hate to see another stuipid law passed. I made an email with all the reps address in it if you guys would like it. You can just copy and paste it into your email address bar. Let me know if you want it and I will get it to you.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:30 AM
cowlady
Elder User
LOL Ronin07 - if they outlaw step/nerf bars I'll need to get a leg extension! I ain't carrying no stinkin ladder!
As for MA or CA I wouldn't consider either. I want a warmer climate than MA & a safer 1 than CA & it's earthquakes! Sorry to members of those states - no offense intended. If my truck is shaking it's better be because I'm on an extreme trail!
What do you make of the excerpt from my post? I think Fed regs protect us - don't you? Maybe we need to get a class action suit going against NYS?
PS - are we still on for a week from this Sat in Webster?

Last edited by cowlady; 03-24-2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add a PS
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
cowlady
Elder User
Thanks CAFordDude! Yes - please email it to me. You can get my addy from my profile. I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:39 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
The earthquakes I can handle out here it is the legislators that scare me.

Last edited by CAFordDude; 03-24-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowlady
Thanks CAFordDude! Yes - please email it to me. You can get my addy from my profile. I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!
Sent it to your hotmail acct

Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Aaron - Thanks for doing that!! I feel for you in CA. My sister lives there and I talk to a lot of people there on other forums so I am aware of what you have to put up with. Your emission standards are what every state is look at to model. Don't get me wrong, I am all for cleaner air and protecting our environment, but some of the stuff they require is stupid and counter to their own cause.

Ang - Yeah I knew the step/nerf bars would grab your attention. After reading the links that you posted I could see someone trying to ban tow mirrors because of how far they stick out and the danger to pedestrians that they present.

As to the Fed ruling the states can still impose their own more strict ruling if they so desire which is what NYS is trying to do. I think we need to flood the New York Assembly Transportation Committee with emails and calls against this bill. Those of you in adjoining states might want to get in on the action too as I can see your state jumping on the bandwagon if this passes here.

I am contacting some vendors that I have personal contacts with that make or sell grill guards or brush guards to see what information they might be able to provide to help with this cause.

I was going to post in the other thread, but I will do it here. I can't make next weekend. My sister called last night and is coming in from CA to see my Dad that is sick so I am sticking around here to visit with her. I don't get to see her often and I alway worry she is going to end up in the Pacific Ocean one of these days. Sorry Aaron, but I do worry about that.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:12 AM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
i've never really been political at all so what should i write/say in an email. I am also not very articulate so any help would be great

thanks aaron

Old 03-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Jason - I think Ang is drafting something up as we speak. I am trying to get the word out to as many people as I can on this and gather more information that we can use to counter the claims. Here is a link to the actual bill:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A10116

And here is a link to your NYS Assembly contact info:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

I don't believe it for a minute that they will exempt you for off-road activity as it states in the bill. After all you will have to drive your vehicle there (unless you trailer your rig) which means you are operating it on public highways or streets which is what the bill bans.

I also wonder how law enforcement officers feel about this. I see a lot of state, county, and local law enforcement vehicles with grill or brush guards on them. I guess they would have to rip them off of their vehicles too. Knowing our luck they would be exempted due to they need to be able to do a PIT maneuver without doing damage to their cruiser.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NY bill to ban Grill Guards/Brush Guards