Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Clunk" noise and a Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:29 AM
technoman26
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Clunk" noise and a Couple Questions

OK...perhaps I'm trying to do too much in one post but here goes anyhow.

Got a 96 F150 4x4 300-I6 short box with a manual tranny (M5OD I believe) and Warn manual locking hubs - I bought in 04. Has 73K on it. I have been slowly fixing it up. I have concentrated on making it run good and keeping it reliable since it's my daily driver.

Clunking noise:
The truck has (and has had since I bought it) a click/clunk noise that sounds like its coming from the front end when accelerating from a stop. The same noise seems to happen when a get a good amount of body lean during cornering also. Maybe its the same issue? Maybe it's a different issue altogether? My 1st thought is U-joints??? Want to fix this before I tackle stuff mentioned below...

That said, here is the list of stuff I have already done: I replaced all 4 shocks, both front coil springs (one was broken), all the ball joints, front and rear brake lines, new rear pads and drums, front brake rotors (good think I got a decent deal on the truck, cuz I put a bunch of $ into already). I have also replaced power steering lines, radiator, done a complete engine tune-up, new custom made exhaust from the manifold back, including new cat converter, and a couple of other minor things. So I think it's pretty solid engine and basic performance wise.

My long term goal is to 1. to have a solid daily driver that is 2. off highway capable. By that I mean, I like to hunt and want to be able to get into the woods on some 4x4 and logging roads w/o serious concerns about reliability and performance of my truck.

Questions:
1. Tires: It had 31x10.5x15 Michelins on it when I bought it. I didn't like the tires so I took them off and replaced them with 235/75x15s (stock size tires) in BFG All-Terrain TAs which grip much better in mud/snow. The truck has 3.08 gears in it. For the little bit of off roading I have done thus far with it (it's my first 4x4) the 235/75s seem to do fine. But I was thinking of putting 31s back on it in the same BFGs I'm running now. For woods roads and logging roads, do I really NEED bigger tires? I just figured a little extra clearance would be ok and it would look better with the 31s, but I know it affect gear ratio etc.

2. What would be the next step in beefing the truck up for what I would call "easy" off road use? What would you do to it next? I don't think I want to lift it or anything like that, just want a good solid performer that will go another 100,000 miles or so.

Any suggestions? All suggestions and opinions welcome.
Thanks.
Rob

Old 03-13-2006, 12:54 PM
LoosMaster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by technoman26
Clunking noise:
The truck has (and has had since I bought it) a click/clunk noise that sounds like its coming from the front end when accelerating from a stop. The same noise seems to happen when a get a good amount of body lean during cornering also. Maybe its the same issue? Maybe it's a different issue altogether? My 1st thought is U-joints??? Want to fix this before I tackle stuff mentioned below...
Rob
Might want to take a look at the Radius Arm bushing that attach the front axle assembly to the frame. These are common items that wear. Also. check the TIB suspension pivot joint bushings, these could also produce the same sound from the front. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
technoman26
Freshman User
Thanks for insight and the reply. Should have mentioned that too....

Both radius arm bushing have already been replaced.

I'll check the suspension bushings....if'n it will stop raining today...or this week. Thanks again.

Rob

Last edited by technoman26; 03-13-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
LoosMaster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing, I just found on mine but haven't fixed yet til I get home. Check your ball joints, both upper and lower. Raise the vehicle, grab tire at top and bottom then push with one hand and pull with the other back and forth. You can also find loose wheel bearings this way.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:53 AM
todd88
Junior User
I have the same issue. Does yours do it when you go to back up as well? I just had the wheel off yesterday and the ball joints look OK ,but the radius arm bushings are shot. But with that being said ,I can't get any movement out of them when its jacked up? On mine the clunk is really noticeable how about yours.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
technoman26
Freshman User
todd88 - Yes, forward, reverse doesn't matter. I'm leaning toward TIB suspension bushings though since I can get the noise when cornering too and I replaced both radius arm bushings last winter and it continues anyhow. If I come up with anything else, I'll post a reply.

Rob

Old 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM
countryboy4_1qt
Freshman User
UJoints are cheap and easy to replace, Try that and I would bet you are clunk free also check the bolts on your crossmembers they sometimes work themselves loose and look at your motor mounts and tranny mounts oil eats away the rubber between the mounts and the frame.