General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Just found out I've got a pit bull

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just found out I've got a pit bull

My wife was getting upset about all the lost pets from the Katrina disaster and declared we should rescue a dog. I told her no use paying plane fare for a dog, there are plenty here that need to be rescued. So we go to a pound and pick out a nice looking, good natured, quiet young dog. We chose him for his personality. He loves everybody and plays well with other dogs. That was Sept.

Last week my wife needed to spend money on the dog (didn't know he needed anything,) and she comes home with a book about training "bully breeds." Well I look at the book and there's our dog. He's a pit bull. The people at the pound told us he was a shepard mix. Turns out there's a LOT of different kinds of pit bulls and I got one. Don't suppose the pound would BS the people do you? It's ok, he doesn't get upset, even in the face of hostility from other dogs, but Jeeeesh.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:47 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,780 Likes on 1,157 Posts
I just found the 2 misplaced clips for my .45 perhaps we need to get together?
sory not too fond of the pit breed.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope no one takes offense to this because I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings 'cause I am sure that they love their Pits....but, IMPO...Pit Bulls should either be eradicated from the face of the earth or gathered up and released in Iraq.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i been raised my whole life around pits and never had one single incident. dogs are like kids, its how they are raised, i will say i was badly btten once by a black lab when i was a kid, but no one went on the war path to have all black labs killed.

my mom has been breeding pits, staffies and german sheperds for over 40 years and never had one incident ever with any dog of those breeds, the only recent inceident she has had is with a catahula sp? that didn't like the hurricane insurance adjuster.

its a shame that a breed has been hijacked so much by the criminal class, i guess those type of poeple give the same name to the dogs as they do to gun owners. and given the fact bees kill more poeple in america each year than dogs do, or cocnuts kill more people in the world than sharks do, to me its another overblown subject.

anyways, put up a pic and i will tell you if its a pit or not, its very easy to tell, and even if its a mixed, there are always certain markings that carry over usually.

i am a husky fan, though don't own one, but will one day!!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
This is really strange timing. The neighbor came over and asked if we had seen his Pit. Apparently he got loose and killed all his chickens, then took off. I can't really blame the poor dog, he's got him tied up behind the house, never pays any attention to him, and I doubt he gets fed and watered on a regular basis. The guy's got no business keeping animals, IMO.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:52 PM
wolfman01
Senior User
The only thing wrong with teh pit bull breed, are the genetic malfunctions in society that buy them up, and make them mean to overcome their lack of any real manhood, or protect their illegal drugs.

As for the ones who advocated their extermination, I highly recommend you quit letting the media spoon feed you their propaganda, and go get educated about the breed. They are a VERY loyal, loving, and caring breed, and will willingly die trying to protect their owners.

My only real reason for not having one myself, is that I like giant breed dogs. Because I like my dogs to be massive, I have two Great Pyrenees. They aren't the largest of the large, but they posess that same devotion to their owners. Nobody in their right mind will challenge a Great Pyrenees standing their ground either.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
It really isn't the breed...

The problem is when you get a "mutt" one, that has been bred indescriminately...

For instance, someone owns a few of them, fights them, etc. The weak, non-agressive ones die. They agressive ones live to breed later. Soon, you have a bunch of what I'd call "mutts" that don't act like the rest of the breed. That's where the danger lies.

If your pit is a loving, gentle dog, he's not one of the mutts ... or at least, that's my take on the situation.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Bdox-you may want to check into your homeowners insurance policy and any local ordinances concerning the ownership also. plus even if its not a pitbull, the rules can still classify the dog as one if it carries enough traits to make it appear so. the winner of the westminister dog show (bull terrier) is even banned in certain parts of america, which goes to show you the complacency of making laws now days.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kw5413
...Pit Bulls should either be eradicated from the face of the earth or gathered up and released in Iraq.
you want him, come get him. you'll never find a more loyal breed, you'll be hard pressed to find another that would die for its master.

a dog is a dog just like a person is a person, its all about how the animal was raised. if you beat them and make them fight they'll become killing machines, plenty of other breeds both dogs and people that are like that too.

lets gather up all our chickens and send them away to, becouse 1 in a million are used in **** fights. lets take peoples disorderly children away for getting into fights at school.

people have the god given right to raise what ever type of animal they choose.

like i said before if you want to control what animals im allowd to have roaming my backyard your more than welcome to try and take him

FORGET ABOUT THE DOG BEWARE OF OWNER.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
i think its all on how a dog is raised just like some people have somthing against german shepards or dobermens well ive always met overly friendly dogs of those breeds..now as for a golden retriever..well lucky me he was chained but not good enough if he is that agressive...i personally would like a pit bull, my cousins dog was half pit bull and was very lovable and then when they got a lab he bit my dad..so people cant just judge one breed, all dogs have a chance of being very agressive

Old 03-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My last dog was a female Akita. She was a big girl, 130 lbs of muscle, and she took down a bear in our front yard. (The bear escaped up a tree.) And she took a bite out of several others. It was a scary thing to see, but she was a ***** cat with kids and people. She made sure the other dogs knew she was the queen, but then she was good with them, never really hurt another dog. Big and lazy but she saved a cat from a coyote.

I have no real worries about my new pit bull, Romeo, it's just that the prejudice against the breed led the pound to misrepresent what his heritage was.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:19 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a brother who is an Emergency Room Doctor. Has been for quite some time. he has told me some grusome stories about dog attacks involving toddlers. All breeds are capable of attacking a human being, especially if trained by a butt hole. But there are certain breeds that are more likely to attack. Those breeds are sought out for intimidation and butt heads capitalize on their reputation, perpetuating the perception. Other breeds would just respond by cowering if someone tried to raise them for violence.
I will not get into a dispute about which breeds are proned to be more aggressive. Research that one on your own. Personally, I would not want to own a pit or a rottweiler because they have been recognized as more prone to aggression through statistics.
I don't need a dog to be aggressive. Blue steel works just fine for my protection.
On the other hand, my son owns a pit bull. He thinks she is a real sweetheart.

My dog is a siberian husky. Can't **** him off. Kick him and he just might lick you to death. No offense but you pit owners can keep'm. Just don't make me use MY protection method on your dog.

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 03-13-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
And I've known a pit that was a loving family dog for years...right up until the day he killed their 4 yr old child.

You can say all you want to about owners responsibilities and/or bite frequencies of different breeds, but the reality is, and this is from an SF SPCA director and pit lover, "You just have to remember that the pit bull was bred for intolerance and and the ability to kill".

Oh, really? "Intolerance and the ability to kill."

When a pit or similar dog loses it's temper (and you can't train or be prepared for every possibility), the destructive potential is far greater than for most breeds. I've seen it more than once at the local dog park.

I refuse to sacrifice my child's or dogs safety for anyones perceived "right" to own an accident/attack waiting to happen. At minimum, all pits should by law be muzzled in public, and zero tolerance allowed for bad behavior.

Finally, a tip. A local trainer,an ex K9 cop, swears the sure fire way to get a pit to disengage is to go at 'em with a lit road flare. Something about the noise, smoke and all. I carry one in my daypack when hiking in areas that dogs will be walked or possibly loose.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo beam
you want him, come get him. you'll never find a more loyal breed, you'll be hard pressed to find another that would die for its master.

a dog is a dog just like a person is a person, its all about how the animal was raised. if you beat them and make them fight they'll become killing machines, plenty of other breeds both dogs and people that are like that too.

lets gather up all our chickens and send them away to, becouse 1 in a million are used in **** fights. lets take peoples disorderly children away for getting into fights at school.

people have the god given right to raise what ever type of animal they choose.

like i said before if you want to control what animals im allowd to have roaming my backyard your more than welcome to try and take himhttp://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...sfiring_v1.gif

FORGET ABOUT THE DOG BEWARE OF OWNER.
I have never heard of a chicken attacking, mauling and / or killing a child. And I would never compare unruly kids to a dog breed that can and do attack humans...often unprovoked.

In addition, many municipalities have ordinances specific to Pit Bulls restricting or even disallowing their existence in the community. There is a reason for that.

A very close friend of mine is in the insurance industry and has a number of homeowners insurance underwriters that will not offer insurance to Pit owners. If they do it is often at a higher premium. There is a reason for that.

As I mentioned in my post, I am sure that Pit owners love their dogs. I am sure that they feel that their children, families members and neighbors are very safe with them. I also stated that I meant no offense to Pit Bull owners. To bad you took it that way.

I personally have no desire to come to your home and take your, obviously loved, Pit Bull from you. With that said, an invitation to do so under the threat of violence is not something that is taken lightly. Please refrain from making such comments. We can agree or disagree all you want but, threats of violence are not necessary here.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 AM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reson pit bulls get such a bad rep from people and law enforcement is 99% purely from ignorance. A pit can be trained to love or trained to kill, just like any other dog. I have a shepherd/catahoula mix, he is stocky and looks like a put bull as well, but he is not. He is also bred to hunt pigs, but during the summer, he will sniff out baby bird chicks and pick them up with his mouth and bring them to the door or sit with them....never hurts any of them. We use him to sniff them out when they fall out of their nests, before we mow the lawn. The comments about pit bulls are no better than saying a white guy can't play basketball, or (insert favorite race here) generally do poorly in intellectual tests. No basis whatsoever. Denver will euthanize these animals sight unseen...i hate those d$%# stupid ignorant hippies.

Quick Reply: Just found out I've got a pit bull