General Automotive Discussion

Dodge Stratus Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
buckeyebronco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge Stratus Timing Belt

I know these have the possibility of wearing out so they do need changed, so how hard is it? Is the engine an interfirence engine? What needs done to change the belt correctly?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just general comments since I do not know this engine, plus I have only done this once on a SHO V6, so things are probably different.

Most belts do need periodic replacing. I think the rule of thumb is 60K-80K. Check the manual for sure.

Get a good shop manual and read it a couple times before starting. Also kind of go along as you read and locate the main components etc. Don't force anything, that was my mistake. I actually broke several auxilliary components by not thinking what would happen if I slipped. So check things out and remember most of this work should not require breaker bars and force. I did use these because I did not read the instructions completely and had to do things the hard way.

Essentially all you need to do is remove the plastic or metal belt cover and remove and replace the belt. Easier said than done in my experience. Assuming the Stratus is a FWD like the Taurus, you will probably need to remove the inner liner of the wheel well and work partially thru there. Use good steady jackstands. You don't want the car to move while you are sitting inside the wheel well.

Once the cover is off, you might need to loosen a belt tensioner and then the belt should slip off. BUT FIRST, mark the pulleys and better yet, line up any index marks and then mark them. That way you can keep the timing right.

The new belt should just slip on although it might be under tension. One thing that might happen is as you play with the belt, the cam pulley may turn out of alignment a little and then be hard to line back up, this may make you panic, but don't sweat it. When the belt is snapped in place the pulley willl suddenly snap back into alignment from the spring tension of the cam drive train. The first time this happened, it surprised and frightened me. But then it made sense and it is no sweat once you know what happend.

I do not know if your engine is an interference engine but if it has high compression say 10:1 then it might be. In anycase it is better not to let a belt fail on you. A mistake could take out your engine.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson