Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Need some help with my explorer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Mudder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with my explorer

Hey guys im looking to get some help with my explorer. Its a 93 4wd. For a while now ill been hearing some loud clunks from the front end going down my rather bumpy dirty driveway. Also at highway speeds theres a noticeable humming noise coming from the front tires and last time i checked the inside of the drivers side tire only has some minor scuffing. Now a few months back when i had it inspected I had the guy do a very thorough inspection because i just bought the vehicle and the ball joints which i would suspect to be the clunking passed with flying colors. Any ideas on what i should check for on this? Should i check the ball joints again? Thanks so much for any help you could give me on this problem.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Radius rod bushings act like you describe but it is a good idea to have the front end checked by a REPUTABLE mechanic, as here there be monsters arrrrr!

Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
lurchy98
Senior User
The humming noise makes me think that you problem may be a wheel bearing. My girlfriend's 96 explorer had the same symptoms as yours and that is what it turned out to be. Hers is also a 4wd.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Mudder
Elder User
I replaced the wheel bearings a month or so ago. Thanks for the help though!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Hey Mudder. I have a 1993 Ex, 4x4 XLT that I bought brand new with 25 miles on the odometer. It now has 175K miles on it and of those miles, I bet I put on 174K myself as the driver. For 13 years this car has been my daily driver. I think I can tell any noise, creak, vibration, shimmy...in 2 seconds.

But I have the infamous clunk you describe. I thought for sure it was a ball joint because I replaced everything else on the front end. Did all 4 ball joints this past weekend and the frickin clunk is still there. I get it under heavy braking, backing and then braking, extreme articulation - off road typically. Anything that really torques the front end. I am thinking it is the radius arm connection to the Ibeam - you know, right where the shock mounts. I think those 2 hefty bolts might be a little loose.

Reason I think this is that also this weekend, I R/R the front diff to reseal the casing with new RTV. Too many years of oil leaks and it was getting worse fast. In doing this part of the job, I had to pull off the driver's side radius arm bushing bracket and pull/rotate the radius arm back under the frame to get clearance to remove that 1 goofy pivot looking diff bolt on the backside of the diff. So I am thinking, if I can, not easy but, if I can rotate this arm, there must be clearance. If there is clearance - I clunk can happen.

I will get under there this weekend and try to torque the hell out of those 2 bolts. I have a 30 " long 1/2 drive breaker bar that needs a workout.

As far as the hum on the highway, my truck did that too. I heard it on Saturday past and checked the wheel bearings - too much slop. The right front tire was feathered heavy on the inside - this was the noise. If I turned left, noise went away, right it was worse. So I went ahead and did the ball joints, diff leak, new rotors, bearings, pads.

I have a terrible 65 MPH vibration. That now after all this work got to terrible, 10x worse than before all this work. Either it's the alignment, which I need to get done, or just bad tires now.

Oh the other thing I tell my 3 year old son when he says, "Dad, it hurts when I do this" is "Bryce, then don't do that". Think about it.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the 93's have the torsion bar front end? There is supposed to be some sort of Kevlar pad asscoiated with the torsion bar that wears out. I read about it on a thread a while back while looking at how to fix the infamous Explorer driver's side lean/list and came across this. Mine did not clunk at all until I got the torsion bar re-tweaked. Now it clunks quite a bit.

Last edited by texan2004; 02-02-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
No Texan. These all had twin I beam, TTB, until 1995 when it went to independent IFS with the torsion bar.

I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm pretty sure it's the bolts attaching the radius arm to the i beam. The on on top is a little tricky since there is a stud the extends down to clamp the bracket and the top of the stud is where the coil spring retainer is attached with another nut.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Well that didn't work. I only got to the left side but I rmoved the coil spring and torqued down the radius arm bolts on top and bottom. Put it all back together and it still clunks. The top I got about 1/4 turn but the bottom I couldn't budge. I didn't get to the right side but I think the noise is coming from the left.....what next?