6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What is the real story?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
powerdog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6.4l TT will be ok but from what I have seen the 6.0L has a bullet proof bottom end. Yes it has had cosmetic issues. I go to all the DHRA sledpulls all over the eastern states here. I seen a lot of 6.0s dyno.

The worlds current quickest powerstroke is a 6.0L running 11 sec at over 119 MPH in the 1/4. He is still running stock head gaskets. Try that with the new dodge cummins it can probably do it, i have not seen it done yet. I can say this it will not do it with stock head gaskets.

With simple tuning from SCT a ex cab 4X4 04 6.0 l will run 14's at 100mph flat. Racing against a 05 mustang gt it beat by 2 car lengths every time.

If you ever get the chance take a look at the bottom end of the 6.0L check out the rods and crank. They came a long way from the 7.3L. seem to stay together up to 600HP. Not bad.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
There's an old caveat in car buying that says never buy the first new model of anything-car or engine. Give them a year or two to work out the teething problems and a chance for you to see how serious they are. I was surprised to see the extent of the 6.0's problems-77 service bulletins compared to the Duramax 7 and the Cummins none. As much as they test these engines( you know-through Death Valley towing 10K in Summer) there seems to be no test like the real world. People quote sales figures like that always means quality-sometimes but not always. People buy based on advertising, what the other guys drive at work, or they met one guy that really liked the truck he has, stuff like that. The 6.0 for Ford has become somewhat of a tainted virgin and they have to make changes. Folks wont buy a vehicle if it even has the slightest whiff of trouble-especially engine trouble. The more i see these things the more I hug my 75. Did you guys know that the Independent Mechanics Association is sueing the big 3 automakers? The automakers are trying to make their computer(ECM) scan data proprietary so only their dealers can scan for trouble. You wont be able to go to an independent mechanic cause his scanner wont work for your new vehicle. You will have to go to the dealer where they will bend you over and drive in their 90/hr labor rate. Wont that be nice? Im going out and hug my 75 again. The independents call their suit the "Right to Repair Act" Lets hope they win.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes indeed. Let's hope they do win that one.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM
elemint
Elder User
[QUOTE=Batgeek]I would like to know the real story... Many others have said that the 6.0 is the best engine they have ever had and there is no problems with it at all."

LOL! Who the heck could say that with a straight face????

Old 01-13-2006, 08:28 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are no problems with my engine. But, the bad ones are certainly no laughing matter.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Customz
Postmaster
I've owned 2 and it is the best truck/engine/tranny combo I've even driven.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Add me to the no problems whatsoever list.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:41 AM
KICK
Senior User
theres alot of trouble brewin in the diesel market.

the emissions thing is tough.

EGr and VNT isn't perfected.

we've had Series 50 Detroits with EGR and VNT since 2000 and they have serious problems with sludge buildup because of all the pollutants going into the engine for reburn. Detroit quit building them and now we are buying Cummins ISM. ISM are M11 with EGR and A holset VNT. will see how long these last before they have issues.

Cummins has a sliding nozzle for the VNT. its very simple mechanically and it should be an improvement over the type of VNt that has all multiple movong parts on the exhaust side to reduce or increase boost.

if your around this equipment enough, you see that the whole diesle market is going thru some big changes.

If I was in the market ofr a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I'd buy a gas motor for the time being and let somebody else buy the test engines.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
girlwithtruck
New User
Girl with truck needs advice

Okay guys, I have a '99 350 7.3L diesel dually manual 6 speed and I need more pulling power as I pull a horse trailer at 17,000. I really do 'love' my '99. It has been good to me. However, I would like to go the the 550 but should I go with the 6.0L or wait for the 6.4l. Does the 6.4L have the allison and if not can I trust the ford automatic?

Last edited by girlwithtruck; 01-20-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome girlwithtruck, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not stick with a manual? The Torqueshift is a proven tranny. The Allison GM uses is overplayed IMO. I really don't like the torque management program on that thing in 1st, 2nd, and then again in 5th. I'd wait for the 6.4TT. If you don't like it when they come out, you can always purchase a 6.0L...and for even cheaper then you would now. They're chips, and easy bolt-ons for that 7.3L. Is it completely stock?

Old 01-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=elemint]
Originally Posted by Batgeek
I would like to know the real story... Many others have said that the 6.0 is the best engine they have ever had and there is no problems with it at all."

LOL! Who the heck could say that with a straight face????
I can. 04, PSD, 33350 miles, two reflashes and not one problem! I had a 2002 Crew Dually (see my gallery) and this is the best engine/tranny and truck for that matter, I have owned. Just because you read all these negative posts and or create them your self. Doesnt mean every 6.0 PSD is a piece of &@*$

Old 01-22-2006, 12:04 AM
elemint
Elder User
No, not every 6.0 is bad but even Ford has all but admited that it was a disaster. When people repeated complain about the SAME major engine problems i consider that an engineering flaw. I had a Ford Tauras that had 150k miles on it, but it still was a garbage car, i just gave up fixing all the problems. BTW There is not a car in the world should have a problem making it to 100k miles or more, get back to me when you have 300k miles....

[QUOTE=Big Dually]
Originally Posted by elemint

I can. 04, PSD, 33350 miles, two reflashes and not one problem! I had a 2002 Crew Dually (see my gallery) and this is the best engine/tranny and truck for that matter, I have owned. Just because you read all these negative posts and or create them your self. Doesnt mean every 6.0 PSD is a piece of &@*$

Old 01-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=elemint]No, not every 6.0 is bad but even Ford has all but admited that it was a disaster. When people repeated complain about the SAME major engine problems i consider that an engineering flaw. I had a Ford Tauras that had 150k miles on it, but it still was a garbage car, i just gave up fixing all the problems. BTW There is not a car in the world should have a problem making it to 100k miles or more, get back to me when you have 300k miles....

So your saying my engine wont make it 300k. I'm sure there's alot of owners out there with over 150k, perhaps maybe a few close to 200k (the engine is only 2 1/2 yr's old) Well, maybe my junk won't last 300k. I have never owned a car with over 125k anyway. Most people I have met that have a 6.0 PSD, tell me their happy and don't have too many issues, a couple of guy's told me they never had an issue. Also, most of the people i talked to never even heard of this website. So I may be driving a piece of junk, it doesnt matter, I'll get something new in a couple years or even next year. In the mean time, I suggest you go by a Dodge or Chevy and get with your life.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
girlwithtruck
New User
To chip or not too chip

Nickfordman, I have not chipped my 7.3L, but I have added a stage II ARE air filter. It made a big difference. I have also always run synthetics for all fluids. Not really familiar with chips, heard alot of bad things about them. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: What is the real story?