1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Cleaning the Maf inside the Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 PM
rjousuf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the Maf inside the Filter

Truck is 2000 Ford F150XLT v8 5.4L. Few days ago i had the p1074 and p1071 (i think) message on CEL. The ones that give you system too lean on bank 1 and bank 2 code. Only and Only in the morning which is little cold here around 40 degrees, it will try to stall or jerk and after driving for maybe 3 to 4 miles, runs perfect. NO other stalling after that all day long. After reading around here and there i think the problem mostly comes from dirty MAF. I know where the maf is and can see it inside the air filter tube, but i dont wanna remove it beacause i have to tug on some wires and use the torx tool, which i dont have. So i was wondering if i could just leave the MAF inside and just spray the cleaner right on there while it is still in the filter tube or DO I HAVE TO TAKE IT OUT TO CLEAN IT....
Thanks
BTW I put a new air filter, fuel filter in few days ago.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
To clean it right you'll have to remove it. The reference leg is behind the plastic that points toward the middle of the tube. If you clean the active lead, you should clean that reference leg, too.

Remember to use a sprayed on alcohol, not a petroleum based cleaner... it'll screw the MAF up.

-Kerry

Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
flatrate
Freshman User
if you have both P0174 and P0171, i would actually look for a more basic answer. look for any rubber vac lines that are cracking...particularly the large one on the back of the intake. one of them likely has a good sized hole in it. also check PCV valve grommet...theres a lot of areas on the intake to allow unmetered air in. just my .02

Old 12-28-2005, 03:37 PM
billgreene52
New User
I now this thread is almost three weeks old, but I just joined and read this. I had some experiences with these things that I would like to pass along...

Pulling the MAF isn't terribly difficult. I tried to clean my MAF with an Electronic Contact Spray without pulling the thing out, and discovered, to mine and my wallet's horror that the spray had not fully evaporated and I shorted out the MAF. Soon after, I found a website that gives you really clear instructions.

clean-maf-mass-airflow-sensor.php

This walks you through everything. Although I am a shadetree mechanic at best, it might be worth the few dollars to pick up the Torx set. You may use it more than you realize.

Also, even though you probably already realize this, don't touch those wires since they are pretty fragile. Don't even use a cotton swab since this could damage them. I don't mean to insult any intelligences, I know that I had to learn about these things as well...

Cheers and good luck...