Sponsored by:

Stroker engines and daily drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM
illuzion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Stroker engines and daily drivers

I am thinking of replacing the engine in my bronco as it is starting to get tired. It is a 5.0L 302efi. I have a few options on the table I am considering.
#1 Stock Gen1 lightning 5.8 setup (gt40 heads/lightning lower intake)
#2 Just a nice stock replacement 5.0L/302 with GTX40 Alum heads, not sure about lower intake manifold yet.
#3 (someone recommended this to me) A 302 stroked to 331 or 347

Now I drive this vehicle EVERY DAY, it has 160k miles on it. I don't want to get involved with a major drivetrain project, this is the reason I was avoiding a lightning setup, as going to 5.8 will make many mounting issues for me especially my supercharger, if I was interested in taking on a major project I would probably just mount a Gen2 lightning 5.4 setup in the truck. I really want something super reliable for a daily driver, with reasonable fuel economy on especially on highway, note I drive on average 300-500miles/week in my bronco. I have never really heard much good things about stroker engines on daily drivers, especially when more aggressive cams are used, and larger displacements are used, usually they are complete gas guzzlers, run poorly (at idle), hard starting, or unreliable, etc. Any advice/ideas from anyone who has successfully pulled this off?

Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
460srule
Junior User
If this is a daily driver I would suggest staying with a cam that's rated for stock torgue convertor.You should maintain mileage,have good idle and not loose too much bottom end torgue.As for the stokers,I have no experience there.My first concern would be the connecting rod/stroke ratio and how much sideway forces are put on the piston.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 PM
fishin machine
Senior User
What year truck is this going in? If you go to a stroker or 5.8 you're gonna get into computer swaps/programing. The 5.8 shoould bolt right in, just get the computer to go with it off a junk truck. The stroker depending on how mild/wild and how you drive it probably won't be the greatest on gas. My opinion, if you're set on the stroker build a 393, you're gonna get a whole lot more for just a little more. But a 5.8 w/ heads, intake a the right cam will put you right around or over the 331/347 for torque whic is what you really want from a truck motor, and will probably be a little more road friendly. That's just my thoughts though.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
i agree with fishin, the swap to a 5.8 is very popular and easy. the only diff with the 5.8 is a lilbit of deck height. but if u decide to stroke then stroke a 5.8, cause the 5.0 makes a decent stroker but its weaker and less durable then the 5.8. the 5.8 will hold up to a stroker conversion far better then a 5.0 because the ratio ends up bein a bit lower and it is just a better truck motor any way, bigger mains etc..

Old 12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
cjbronco
Tuned
for it being a daily, I personaly wouldnt get into swapping a stroker into it. I would stick with the 302 or go up to 5.8. All is bolt n play as long as you get the right computer for the project. A big 5.8 does sound nice to through into it ya kno...supercharged......wait i just lectured you about gas mileage didn't I? Haha well doing the 302 or 351 is the easiest swap.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
get a 5.8 with aluminum heads, computer friendly cam, edlebrock efi truck intake headers and bbk 56mm throttlebody and you will see decent hwy mileage but enough snot to pass on hills and tow when needed. but it would help if we knew what year/tranny you have etc...

Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
illuzion
Junior User
okie, as far as a computer swap goes, if the only issues are fuel/timing maps, I have a chip in my computer anyways which my truck was dyno tuned for the supercharger, so if its simply tuning issues, a computer swap wouldnt be necessary, the vehicle is a 94 bronco xlt 5.0 302EFI Mass Air E4OD. I thought the 5.8 windsor block is not a straight bolt up. My original performance goal for the bronco was being able to outperform a stock gen1 lightning, since I have met that (with nothing more than a supercharger on a stock 302), I am trying to do a little better. The one thing I really really like about having the engine supercharged, is that as long as you are driving under vacuum (translation, not petal to the floor), it will give almost the exact gas mileage as if you were running straight stock, once you go into boost, then it starts consuming more fuel to make the extra power. I was leaning away from a stroker to begin with, someone recommended a fairly non aggressive stroke (ie 331). My plan was to just build a good 302 (ie aluminum heads I dunno what is best I would probably use GT40X heads, but some ppl recommend trickflow, and others, forged pistons, etc). I do not want an aggressive cam, if a 351 is not a difficult swap I would probably do it, I would not stroke a 351 if I did that upgrade, the extra displacement is enough. With a supercharger, I really do not need any more pressure in the cylinders with a higher compression ratio. I am mainly looking for reliability above all else.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
fishin machine
Senior User
I would do the 351 swap, it's pretty much bolt in. I don't know anything about those heads but from what I've read AFR makes about the best head for the 351w followed by trickflow and all the others behind that. For the rest I'd go with what Kem said.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
the 5.8 swap is bolt in for the most part, very easy. and ur charger will bolt right up to, course id wanna swap to mass air while im at it.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
he already has mass air. which is the best part because he wouldnt even need a new ecu. he can just run all the 302 engine harness an computer on the 5.8 no problem. you have the best base to start building from so tear it up man.
I am curious why you care to beat a lightning. your driving a 6000lb 4wd.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
illuzion
Junior User
I was looking at the ford racing website, and saw a nice crate motor that seemed like a good replacement, it is a 302 that looks good for around 340hp, for about 3k. part number is m-6007-xe3. Straight 302 block, gt40x alum heads, take a look http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=3791 let me know what you think, it seems like a nice performance alternative to building up a motor, everything is new, I would just drop my lower intake/supercharger on it, and headers, and thats it, everything else should be 100% compatible. Other option would be the 5.8 swap, for some reason I was led to believe that a 5.8 swap was more work and parts than you are making it out to be. Are these ford racing engines good for daily drivers, if I am not mistaking, all a 5.8 will do is burn more fuel, and not make nearly as much power?

Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
well the frp motors are more built for a car application.

now i did a 5.8 swap in my88 . with the 302 i got 12/14 city/hwy now with the 5.8 i get 13/16 city/hwy. it does better because it produces better power down low so i am not having to use more throttle to get that heavy rig moving. a 5.8 with aluminum heads,cam,intake,throttlebody and headers will produce as much power as a 347 stroker. and the 5.8 would still be on stock internals with plenty of life for future . the 347 would be topped out.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
illuzion
Junior User
okie, frp makes like 4 models for 302 replacement, the biggest one is stroked to 347 and makes 450hp/400ftlbs with forged internals 10:1 comp ratio and Z heads. They also make a stroked 342 that makes 400hp. Their stock displacement 302 engines make 320-345hp, depending on the heads (gt40 vs gt40X) and cam. Now even with one of these engines making supposedly 340hp. My main concerns with going to a 5.8 are #1 my headers will not be compatible, #2, the lower intake manifolds are different, and therefore my supercharger will not bolt up, and I'm sure kb will want a lot of $$$ for the kit to convert it. Even so, what can I hope for in hp from a stock 5.8? 220hp?
FRP sells a "stock replacement 5.8" for about $2600, which is all cast iron, they claim 240hp. Their aluminum head performance stuff starts at over $6k, and makes 360hp/400ftlbs. Does anyone know what the specs were on the late model 5.0 bronco engines efi mass air as far as hp/torque from engine with the truck intake system. I know that the truck stock intake is very efficient mainly because of its height/large port size.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
Another vote here for a 393 stroker, if your going to swap out to a 351 (which is an easy swap) and your looking for HP, then by all means go for the 393. You will still get decent mileage when your foot is outta it , like the S/C. Check out my Truck (393 NA) and former Bronco that had a 408 with a super charger. Still got between 16-17 on the highway in that rig....

Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 PM
rudder9
Junior User
In my opinion,more cubes is your answer.I'm not going to beat this to death because you have gotten some good advice.I have a 95 with a 302 that I can't do anything more with.Any bolt on,I got it.I even changed the cam to FMS e-303.Bad choice.Computer and 2 ton truck hate it.So I had a cusom chip burnt,And a new converter, and 4.10 gears. And so on. I'm now giving up on the idea of a 331/347.I was going to because of all the parts I have.It just won't cut it in the end.I think you might be like me,maybe not.So I'm throwing in the towel on the 302,which will reside between the framerails of the 92 notchback my bro and I are building.Don't get me wrong, my 302 with everything I've done,I've also added AFR 165 heads and roller rockers, has plenty of power, but in the end she will never match the D.S.S 408 that is almost ready. With the advice of the people who use this site and my friend who owns a performance shop,I know I have made the right decision. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Stroker engines and daily drivers