6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New Twin Turbo Engines On Dealer Lot

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
No1Hookman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kw5413
Yes dual turbos. We have and I am sure we will continue to make the mistake of referring to the sequential turbo strategy as "Twin Turbos" but, as I understand it the primary is smaller than the secondary. The smaller turbo feeds it's big brother. Is this correct Matt?

So, they are not twins.

But, the "Twins" sounds like they are a whole lot more fun the the "Duals"

Don't you think?
Maybe not "identical twins," but "fraternal twins."

Old 11-24-2005, 07:03 PM
BassCat
Junior User
The current 6.0 VGT operates as a small and large turbo all in one... The new set-up for the 07 sounds as though we ae getting away from the VGT technology because of the carbon-soot problems associated with sticking vanes and turbo replacement costs...

Does anyone know if the EGR stradegy is the same on the 6.4 as the 6.0???

Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The current 6.0 VGT operates as a small and large turbo all in one...
That is a fair point, but it cannot 100% replicate a smaller turbo, and it will never have the efficiency of twin turbo set up either.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:26 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
what was the displacement of the V6?

it should be a 4.8 if it is of the modular design. or close considering the same bore and stroke.
The V-6 is a 4.5 liter engine-

-Mike

Old 11-25-2005, 05:43 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by BassCat
The current 6.0 VGT operates as a small and large turbo all in one... The new set-up for the 07 sounds as though we are getting away from the VGT technology because of the carbon-soot problems associated with sticking vanes and turbo replacement costs...

Does anyone know if the EGR strategy is the same on the 6.4 as the 6.0???
I have not seen anything demonstrating problems related to your suggestions above.

I do not know what International's EGR strategy will be on the 6.4. Cat has avoided use of massive EGR to meet the next tier of off-road standards. Because International uses Cat's HEUI injection technology, I am hopeful they can meet the '07 standards without massive recirculation and cooling.

I spoke with a rep from Cummins last week. We talked about the amount of heat the cooling system must absorb when using a water intercooler to cool recirculated exhaust gases on their '07 specification motors. I hope International will employ a different system.

On the series versus parallel turbocharger debate:
Mercedes, VW-Audi and BMW all run V-8 diesels with parallel turbochargers tucked under the exhaust manifold of each cylinder bank. It seems like a neat design and their engines have excellent power to displacement ratios. So I was surprised to see the series set-up on the International V-configuration. But after doing some more reading, I am not convinced that the comment about the efficiency of the series turbochargers not equaling the parallel setup is true. The series configuration enables the turbocharger to act like a two-stage air compressor i.e., the intake air for the second turbine is already pressurized (more dense) just like the second piston of a two stage air compressor.

I have not driven a truck with the 4.5 V-6 motor, but I would be interested in knowing how responsive the motor was and what the torque curve felt like.

For those of you who want photos… I can not get my press photo to paste, but I will look for a link.

-Mike

Old 11-25-2005, 05:55 PM
mschultz
Senior User
4.5 Photo

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
I want to see pictures....
http://www.dieselforecast.com/index.php

Scroll half way down the page and you will see a photo of the 4.5 International and a graphic demonstrating why most people who do not use a diesel for heavy work can not actually justify the +$5000 cost in the US.

And worse- if I may rant- it is the leisure consumers who ruin the diesel market by driving manufactures to produce "fast" diesels rather than durable, 100% duty cycle diesels.

-Mike

Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
The 4.5 liter sequential Navistar diesel baby powerstroke is OLD news.

Try this:

http://www.dieselforecast.com/Articl...?articleID=208

and, to see how many miles you would need to recoupe the diesel option price, try this.

http://www.dieselforecast.com/Articl...?articleID=160

Old 11-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Fis Teck
Mountain Pass
Internationals new CF truck and Ford cabover are the same truck they use a V6 diesel twin turbo.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
It's a 4.5L V6 with 200 HP, but I can't remember the torque. Rumor was that it was due for the F-150's and expy's but I don't think it is.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:06 AM
mschultz
Senior User
[QUOTE=Powerdude]The 4.5 liter sequential Navistar diesel baby powerstroke is OLD news.

Try this:

http://www.dieselforecast.com/Articl...?articleID=208"

Power D,

"Old news"?? Your link has already been posted in this forum. The 4.4 in that article has nothing to do with the new 6.4 motor. However, the 4.5 is relevant to questions about how future sequential turbochargers may be specified on the 6.4 motor. And that is the subject of this thread.

-Mike

Old 12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mschultz
"Old news"?? Your link has already been posted in this forum. The 4.4 in that article has nothing to do with the new 6.4 motor. However, the 4.5 is relevant to questions about how future sequential turbochargers may be specified on the 6.4 motor. And that is the subject of this thread.

-Mike
you started this thread about a V6 International twin-turbo diesel in a ford cab-over truck, which would have to be the 4.5L PSD. I would say that is the subject of this thread. That's what most people seem to be talking about anyways.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Tony G
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Torque on the 4.5 is 440 ft lbs. I think there are some images of it at the ford website. I saw some pics somewhere when I did a search for dual turbo's.

Here is a link to fords new 2.2 series diesel. The top series (168) is powered by a dual turbo in series. Have to read to the bottom of the page.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...nd_psa_la.html

Meadoland ford has some specs for the new 4.5 engine. And there are some showing up on ebay in the cab forward design.

http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-4...gine-specs.htm
Tony

Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM
dpwilson
Elder User
http://www.commtruck.ford.com/ctw/default.asp

click showroom then lcf and finally features. 200 hp and 440 ft lbs.

hope they put this in the expedition!

Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 4.5L PSD is essentially a 6.0L PSD with two less cylinders. The rest of the differences include:
  • Dual turbocharger assembly
  • An actuator motor driven EGR valve and driver module
  • Offset journals on the crankshaft
  • A balance shaft
  • International's electronic engine control (Diamond Logic)

You will never see this engine in any other Ford product. Having driven the LCF I will say that the dual turbo does provide low end response and decent boost for get up and go. Most notably though is the smoothness of the acceleration. I believe that most PSD owners will think it works well in the new V-8 when it becomes available.

Last edited by Ford_Doctor; 12-15-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Aarkie
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the larger turbo would feed the smaller. The reason is that the fresh air is not compressed and has a larger volume. as it is compressed in the first stage you would need the larger turbo. The smaller trubo wopuld then be able to take the compressed gas and compress it more thus raising the boost pressure at the same time. If it went from the smaller to the larger then the gas would be able to expand due to a larger space and the pressure would go down. Also if they ran the same RPM the larger could move a lot more air. The only way the smaller will work if it is first would be foooor it to run at a higher RPM.

Quick Reply: New Twin Turbo Engines On Dealer Lot