2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird gearing in 4L.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird gearing in 4L.

Today after put my truck in 4L when taking it out of N to R or D the tranny shifts hard has anybody else noticed this?it doesnt do it in 4H just in 4L and everytime i shift to R or D it'll shift hard no matter how many times but it doesnt shift hard going back to N.HMMMMMM

Old 11-04-2005, 08:07 AM
tmoney67
Junior User
Exiled,
If I am understanding your question, when you are in 4L and you shift out of neutral into gear, either D or R, if shifts kinda hard going into gear? But not coming out back into neutral. If I understood that correctly, that would be normal. Probably make it shift firmer between gears when driving it in 4L too. Why?

You will experience a firm or very positive shift while in 4L, going into gear and while driving, just due to the amount of torque that low range gives you. Every 4X4 I have owned was that way, as is my 05 F150 4X4.

It doesn't happen going back to neutral because you are coming out of gear and releasing the tension vs going into gear.
And it doesn't happen in 4H because 4H is has same ratios as 2H except power goes to 4 wheels instead of 2.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.

Try driving a Tucker Sno Cat snowmobile trail groomer. That thing just about gives you whiplash shifting between gears. And putting it in gear?? You better be ready cuz it wants to go!!! However, that does have an industrial tranny in it too, as well as being geared extremely low. But can that thing pull!!!!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmoney67
Exiled,
If I am understanding your question, when you are in 4L and you shift out of neutral into gear, either D or R, if shifts kinda hard going into gear? But not coming out back into neutral. If I understood that correctly, that would be normal. Probably make it shift firmer between gears when driving it in 4L too. Why?

You will experience a firm or very positive shift while in 4L, going into gear and while driving, just due to the amount of torque that low range gives you. Every 4X4 I have owned was that way, as is my 05 F150 4X4.

It doesn't happen going back to neutral because you are coming out of gear and releasing the tension vs going into gear.
And it doesn't happen in 4H because 4H is has same ratios as 2H except power goes to 4 wheels instead of 2.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.

Try driving a Tucker Sno Cat snowmobile trail groomer. That thing just about gives you whiplash shifting between gears. And putting it in gear?? You better be ready cuz it wants to go!!! However, that does have an industrial tranny in it too, as well as being geared extremely low. But can that thing pull!!!!
yes you understand correctly. i never noticed it before in this truck or my 97. but yes it does change gears harder also and i have noticed it in my other truck as well and undrstand that being normal.
as to if 4h has same ratios as 2h i doent know but i do know that 4h is like limited slip {i think its limiuted slip i'm thinking of} you can lift your truck off the ground and put the truck in 4h and put it in gear and and grab either front tires and stop that tire. if you put it in 4l and grab a tire it'll set u on your head. i did it. my dad told me 4h wasnt true 4x4 and we done this it was a nice lession, cause i really didnt understand why had to go into N to go into 4l but you can go into 4h anytime now i got an idea.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:43 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
going from 4h to 4l is just shifting a gear in your transfer case, it has nothing to do with limited slip or which wheels will spin as far as i know. If you have a limited slip rear end then both wheels will turn in the back. If its open then only one will turn, or when in the air they will turn opposite directions.

As far as the 'hard shift' like t money said, its just the extra torque.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by captain p4
going from 4h to 4l is just shifting a gear in your transfer case, it has nothing to do with limited slip or which wheels will spin as far as i know. If you have a limited slip rear end then both wheels will turn in the back. If its open then only one will turn, or when in the air they will turn opposite directions.

As far as the 'hard shift' like t money said, its just the extra torque.
i know limit slip has nothing to do w/ 4h or 4l. but there is a difference in 4l and 4h. maybe this sounds better. like "limit slip" power at the wheel in "4h" can be broken. in 4l you wont stop the power unless something i.e axle,transfer case,differentual, or somthing breaks. i know cause we picked my truck up with a huge forklift at my brother-in-laws salvage yard and i did it. in 4h i could just grab the tire and stop it the other side still turn, but in 4l no way. i had bruises and raw hide up my arms and a place on my chest.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, sounds like that was a fun day! But the extra torque of the transfer case shifting is the hard shift you're feeling i'm pretty sure.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:11 PM
tmoney67
Junior User
Maybe somebody can explain the 4H / 4L a little more. As exiled has explained, it sounds like in 4L it works like a locker or something. All 4 wheels getting equal power??
Or is just the extra torque prevent you from stopping the spinning wheel?? It would be interesting to figure that out. Somebody out there must understand the 4x4 system on these trucks a little better.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:11 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by captain p4
lol, sounds like that was a fun day! But the extra torque of the transfer case shifting is the hard shift you're feeling i'm pretty sure.
yea it was dont you hate when your dad is right? yea i thought that the shift might be normal and that i'd just had'nt noticed before.just thought i'd ask first i hate go to the service department over normal stuff. makes look i've never driven a truck before know what i mean?lol
tmoney i wish i really understand this system better myself, maybe ih the high range it takes the path of least resistence, but in 4l it'll plow thru the resistence. na seriously i have no clue

Last edited by exiled; 11-05-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:01 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Not for nothing, but Captain p4 has THE BEST avatar on this site, no offense to anyone else!!!