Ford Security module -- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:13 PM
CR_Racing33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Security module -- Help!

Hi there, I drive a 2002 F350 4x4 with a dealer installed security system/remote starter. I recently had a entertainment system installed in the truck; two 7" LCD screens behind the headrests and a dash mounted DVD player with another 7" screen in place of the factory dash mounted CD player. Everything has been working great, but I took it in to trouble shoot an issue I had with the infrared headphones for the kids. I'm not certain, but since then the LED on the dash for the remote starter/security module has been blinking continuously. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it was blinking right after the troubleshooting was done or the day after.

I've tried to find information on the forum on how to troubleshoot or program the dealer installed Ford black box, but I haven't found anything. My module is located just above, and to the left, of the brake pedal. I found a small microswitch, which I'm guessing is the Dis-Arm button. The flashing LED continues to flash even while this is pressed. The other strange thing is that when I hit the remote lock or unlock the horn beeps. Usually if I press once, nothing happens, but when I press the lock or unlock twice the horn will beep. Now even on the first button press it beeps.

Sorry for the long-winded message. Can anyone offer any advice???

Cameron
ectcassels@shaw.ca

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,721 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Pull and check every fuse in the fuse box. Did the dealer give you a manual on this black box? See if they have any info on what the blinking light is.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
CR_Racing33
New User
Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the manual for the Ford Vehicle Security module. I pulled the the fuses that are spliced into the wiring harness that appear to feed the unit. The LED turns off until I re-insert the fuses, and then it starts flashing again. I may try to pull all of the fuses in the distribution centre tonight. I'm also going to try to re-program the key fobs in the desperate attempt to fix this nuisance.

Does anyone have a copy of manual for their Ford Vehicle Security unit? I think mine is a Silver model; it allows for the glow plug delay for remote starting.

Any additional suggestions?

Cameron

Old 10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
CR_Racing33
New User
Well, I figured it out tonight. It seems that I was in Valet mode. All I had to do was put the keys in the ignition in the RUN position and then hit the lock and then unlock on the key fob. That's it! You gotta love those easy ones that don't take a whole bunch of work to fix. I just don't know how I ended up in Valet mode.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Well, I was going to suggest that, but I see you figured it out before I could reply. Somebody could have held in the button at some point. I could tell you exactly, but my son has my truck and manual right now.

I only know this because the same thing happened to me. Otherwise, I never use the valet mode. Nowadays, you've got to have the owners' manual for everything!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
CR_Racing33
New User
This problem leads me to a question I've always been curious about. Does anyone have any information on how to do any other programming on the unit? I imagine that you could set the amount of time it'll run on an auto-start. I think mine is set for 10 minutes. It gets down to -45 degrees celcius here in the winter, so I'd love to be able to extend the run time on the remote start by a few minutes.

Has anyone figured out what is adjustable on these ford units?

Cameron