No power in my 1990 Ford Ranger 2.9

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
arlandra
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resently received another code 96 fuel pump circuit failure or high speed fuel pump relay circut failure, and I continue to receive the code 41, ? Where is the High speed fuel pump relay located, and should I first get an 02 sensor replaced to get rid of the 41 code?
Thank you very much for all your help, with it, I surely would be LOST!!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You'd be lost with my help? That's comforting!

There is a black box on top of the passenger side fender well, next to the air filter box. That's the Power Distribution box. If you take off the cover, you'll see some oversize fuses. The one on the far right (closest to the firewall) is the fuel pump relay fuse. Turn on the key and you should hear a click as the relay closes and the fuel pump runs for a few seconds, then another click as the relay opens again shutting the pump off. You can duplicate this from under the hood by pulling the far right-hand fuse, labled "Ignition", and plugging it back in again. You should hear the click of that relay coming from the Power Distribution box, I believe the relays are under it. You should be able to track it by that, but if you can hear the relay click, that would show you it's working.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
arlandra
New User
Tried that this morrning before work pulled that fuse and reinstalled it it does make the clicking sould, pump does come on then goes off, later I will remove the relay and replace it, thanx again.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 AM
knspiess
New User
I had a 88 ranger with 2.9 engine and had the same problem. Idled fine but had no power, could not even get up to 55mph. It ended up being one of the prongs on the computer broke off. Pulled the plug off the side of the computer and one plug stayed with the connector. $115 bucks and it ran fine.
FYI

Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Corso
New User
Im REALLY interested in how this all unfolds..as im in the same boat..altho my exhaust is in shambles..same deal as posted..no popcorn?
Post on!
Thx

Old 03-04-2006, 08:20 PM
tiemann66
New User
I had the same problem in my 89 ranger with the 2.9 all though my computer was bad and also had a couple of dead sensors it turned out that the integral filters in my injectors were cloged. I tested the injectors with a hose and a noide light to see if that was the case but ended up breaking down and tearing into the injectors. The cause was the fule rail rusts. I am currently looking for an aftermarket one but am unsuccessful as of right now. Soon as i replaced my injectors it was all good and had all kinds of power and also went from 12 mpg to almost 19 mpg. Now i am running into the same problem again so looking for a solution and another note don't buy napa remanufactured injectors either buy good ones cause it is worth it!

Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Corso
New User
Thumbs up

Yes Tiemann..i posted somewhere else..that in fact it WAS my fuel injectors....i had them replaced as well as the rail..cost me 500 balloons!
runs with extreme power again...replace my gas tank as well..highly recommend it..as it will(maybe) be a problem in the future(rust,dirt,etc)
so that may be an idea for you...good luck..as my ranger is kewl for the moment

Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
gearheadz80
Senior User
It also would be worth while to look at the cat. converter to see if it may be plugged. Ran into this a couple of times......My 2 cents, good luck

Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
tiemann66
New User
Coroso Thanks for the reply:
My gas tank is plastic and I just recently put a new fuel pump in and tank is in good shape. My problem was with the fuel rail and is now starting to cause problems again. Did you get an aftermarket rail or just a ford replacement of the stamped steel one. Let me know as I am looking for an aftermarket one. I have heared that they exsist but can not find one.

gearheadz80 Thanks for your 2 cents:
I do not have to deal with emissions so I gutted my cat and it helps out a little bit in the power department.

I am also looking to turbo charge and jet chip my ranger. Does any one know or can point me to the right post if you have to run a MAF or can my existing MAP do this app.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Psychopete
Senior User
I've heard of people using MAP for forced induction applications. I just bought an Eaton super charger for my 2.9L and I have already converted to MAF due to high lift cam shaft. I am going to try and run MAF, and it if fails, I will have no choice but to run a Megasquirt ECC and MAP. There is no documentation on a forced inducted 2.9L (at least not that I know of).

What year was your truck? Some models match the 1990 california emission ECC than the others. If you have an 88, the swap is pretty easy because the 90 MAF ECC controlls two fuel pumps. I've been told that the later Rangers usually only had one fuel pump. I am not sure, comparing them is the only way to know.

Go to Ford and get a copy of the wiring diagrams for the 90 and the diagrams for your truck and compare them. I compared mine like 3 times before I actually did the swap. Once you have a good scope of what needs to be done - do it. Let me know if you need any detailed information about the MAF conversion. You might want to look into getting an IST Air Adjuster, but it might not be required if you get the correct MAF. I am using one from a 3.8L Taurus - and will be using the 5.0L Mustang GT MAF/T.B. when I get my super charger bolted up.

Pete

Old 03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
scuba69diver
New User
Check your injectors with an ohmeter by probing both prongs on the injectors and check for resistence. It should be between 11 ohms and 18 ohms.

Also, make sure you have the firing order right. The passenger side of the motor is 1,2,3 and the drivers side 4,5,6 with 1 and 4 being in the front. Find number one on your distributor cap and from there going clockwise it should be 1,4,2,5,3,6. If your cap is not marked then your number one should be at the back of the distributor cap at about 11 o'clock if you are looking at it from the front of the motor, ie. going counterclockwise, two terminals away from the cap screw. If your firing order is correct, make sure you are getting spark at all plugs. I have seen distributors do strange things.

Good luck

Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 AM
tiemann66
New User
Thanks for the comments Psychopete! My ranger is an 89'. I will look into the MAF converson for my application. I don't intend to change my cam. Just looking for a little extra kick. I will probably put updated aftermarket cast heads to solve any cracking issuses that seem to be common in the 2.9. Between the turbo and a jet chip and stage 1 acell injectors I should be looking good. Just hopeing someone has done a upgrade like this that might know a little more cause I have seen the MAF conversion on here a few times and might be more work than I have to do but would be willing to do it if it is what I need to do.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Psychopete
Senior User
Originally Posted by tiemann66
Thanks for the comments Psychopete! My ranger is an 89'. I will look into the MAF converson for my application. I don't intend to change my cam. Just looking for a little extra kick. I will probably put updated aftermarket cast heads to solve any cracking issuses that seem to be common in the 2.9. Between the turbo and a jet chip and stage 1 acell injectors I should be looking good. Just hopeing someone has done a upgrade like this that might know a little more cause I have seen the MAF conversion on here a few times and might be more work than I have to do but would be willing to do it if it is what I need to do.
Becareful playing with injectors and MAF. I reccommend getting some sort of air fuel ratio gauge to make sure you're air fuel ratio isn't doing something strange. I believe the stock injectors are good for about 170h.p. - where the 2.9L itself is 140h.p.

Oh yea, I am not sure how MAP is going to react to a turbo pushing on it. It was wasn't designed for that. You would probably need some sort of 2 bar MAP sensor for boosted applications. I think MAP is going to just end up just dumping fuel into the engine under boost. But I don't know, I haven't gone that route.

Pete

Last edited by Psychopete; 03-09-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 AM
flameball1989
New User
tiemann66
You will need a 2-bar MAP sensor to run with a boosted application. Try finding one for a factory boosted ford v6 it should work with little or no mods.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:29 PM
ren60
New User
Fuel Pump Relay 1990 Ranger

I have a 1990 Ranger with no power to the fuel pump. A guy recently installed a new fuel pump and I got the truck from him with a bypass wire running from the fuel pump to a hot wire under the dash. I want to start with the fuel pump relay switch, which I think is located under the fuse box on the passenger side wheel weld. I just pulled off the fuse box, but could not get the cover off the relays, if they are under there. It started raining like hell so I will go out tomorrow and try again. Is there any trick to removing the cover off the relays, or am I in the wrong place. I have to work at night when I get home and the truck is too far away from the house to get a light out there. I am using a flash light in one hand and..well, you get the picture. I want to ask to make sure I'm going in the right direction since I am working alone and only have two hands. Don't wanna waste time on the wrong path. Thanx for anybody's help.

Quick Reply: No power in my 1990 Ford Ranger 2.9