Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

New booster seat legislation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New booster seat legislation

I was just reminded of the new child seat law. Does any one now what the deal is with older vehicles? Occassionally, I take a friend wth a six year old boy with me in the Falcon. The Falcon is a '64 and has no seat belts in the back at all.
The front has lap belts only. I imagine that some of you with old trucks are in the same situation with no seat belts.
What I usually do is sit the boy up front with the lap belt, or the boy and his mom share the same lap belt since there are only two up front.
Now, I've never been pulled over in the Falcon (speeding is darn near impossible!) and I imagine that most cops would be reasonable but they have been cracking down on the child seat thing lately. So, what to do? Child seat in the back is not an option. Child seat in the front with out a shoulder belt won't be the best and it leaves an adult in the back without a belt. In my mind, I'd rather have them both up front with the lapbelt at least they are both safer. Adding a third lap belt up front is no problem but shoulder belts are out of the question. I could secure the child seat up front and tether it over the back and to the bottom of the front seat but I don't know if this would be deemed "properly secured" by the cops.

Amazing how times have changed. I remember my brother and I fighting over who would get to sit in the parcel area of my Mom's VW beatle when we were kids. The bug had an area under the rear window and behind the back seat that was perfect for a five year old. Come to think of it, the seat folded down and we would often just lay in the back with a blanket. Not only did we survive but it was FUN! Soon we will be required to wear helmuts while driving!

Oh yeah, buying a Focus is also out of the question! Any how any comments?Is there a police officer member of the chapter?

Thanx,
Frank

Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fp_5
Oh yeah, buying a Focus is also out of the question!
Crap...there goes my suggestion.

-Matt

Old 09-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the Falcon to Harwood & Westney and let the cop on duty at the station look at the car. They should have access to the new rules right there in the station.
Or, you could start by calling them on the phone & asking if antique cars must be retrofitted with belts for all/any passengers including young pups.
Frank!!!!! Sharing a lap belt is a bad idea.
AL.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 PM
kwboom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We talked to the cops in this area and with the Metro the children that need the seats have to be in them because of the sholder belts.

That is the whole reason for the new law is the sholder belts.....

In the Bronco because it only has lap belts the children """"that are too big for the baby seats""" don't need to be in a booster seat..........the manufactures of the booster seats actually say on them "do not use with lap only belts"

I really don't know what they will say for a car with no belts at all but I think the law only requires belts to be used when the belts are provided from the factory and if they are not provided than they are not required and nor would the booster seat because they are only to help the sholder belt line up with the chest and not ride on the neck of the child using the belt...........

BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT, THAT IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE HEARD

Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been meaning to ask a cop or go down to the station and have them take a look. It's probably the best thing to do.