Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 04:58 PM
abelmoreno
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with my steering?

Hello,
Here it goes... I installed a 6" skyjacker lift with brackets on the front and coils (2WD) Stabilizer and pitman arm (1 year and a half ago) .
Ever since I lifted the truck, when I make a close turn (U Turn for example)
1st: the steering doesn't return to a straight position (I have to quickly return the steering wheel myself every time I turn too much, of course this way too dangerous) It's like if it would be getting locked or stuck for some reason
2nd: the tires screech when I turn too much and are wearing on the outside because of this.
I also recently replaced all the steering components (a set of camber caster bushings able to correct a 1 degree problem it had, drag links, etc).
I corrected the problem with a set of new polyurethane bushings for the front end (radius and pivot arms), When I installed these polyurethane bushings (3 months ago) the turning problem dissapeared along with the tire wearing issue.
The frame cracked recently where the suspenssion brackets are bolted and welded.
Now it is re-inforced and very well welded but the problem came back as soon as I repaired the cracks even after alignment.
Any ideas???

thanks so much for your time.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by abelmoreno
1st: the steering doesn't return to a straight position (I have to quickly return the steering wheel myself every time I turn too much, of course this way too dangerous)
Cars and trucks of today are aligned with a very slight toe-out in order to force recentering. What is yours? Also keep in mind the wider the tires (larger contact patch on the road) the less auto-centering you'll have no matter what you do.

2nd: the tires screech when I turn too much and are wearing on the outside because of this.
Outside? Camber or caster or alignment is off. See above.

and pivot arms), When I installed these polyurethane bushings (3 months ago) the turning problem dissapeared along with the tire wearing issue.
Yep, then as they wear from the stress the alignment goes south.

Add in the frame cracks, I think something is so "off" things are getting worn out too quickly. I'd seriously go through the front suspension, to make sure it's on 100% correct, nothing is bent or damaged, then have it aligned by a non-sears, non-autozone shop. Lifted trucks require a little more effort in setting the alignment correctly, because as you lift the truck the factory values are off a "hair", and a lot of shops don't understand this. Especially with the return-to-zero... and the reason is because the wider the tire, the less effective toe-out for return-to-zero is, and also because the higher up you are, the more sensitive your truck is to toe-out settings, so often it's minimized, which aggrevates the problem.

Something is seriously wrong there...

You may not like this.. but it sounds to me something is bent, and the alignment shop tried to 'align the bend' out which rarely, if ever, works.