2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator instaled now sounds like a powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:50 PM
taz1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Predator instaled now sounds like a powerstroke

Hi i have installed a preditor programer on my 2005 ford f150 5.4. It has been running ok. I filled it up with 89 octane and down loaded the 87 octane program and now when i give it a little gas as 55 mph it makes a ping noise or sound like a diesal. but only at 55 when i give it a little gas. WHATS UP WITH THIS?????

Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
F150newf
Senior User
its called detonation....don't do it anymore....use a higher grade gas in there or your going to do lots of damage to your motor.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know or care what your settings are, DON'T run it that way.
It is pinging and if you can hear it, it is approaching detonation. That means the spark is firing too early, and you are pushing your pistons up into a 'flame front'.
In plain language, you are blasting the top off the pistons. Do this for a while and you will have serious problems. Get some premium in there, set the timing back with the predator, etc.
But don't drive it till you have this straightened out.
Chris

Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
taz1
New User
Why would it do it if i have the 87 octane programed in it and i have 89 octane fuel. Does this mean i cant use my programer?????

Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something is not right. That's for sure. Now as to why you have a problem, it could be a dozen things.
Example one, you have bad gas in the tank. I don't care what you think you bought, it's possible that you got something really bad.
Bad gas, something wrong in the tanker, or with the batch, some criminal activity, who knows.

More than likely, something is set wrong in the DP. Take it back to stock tune, and listen for ping. If it still pings, get it to the dealer, and just mention the ping, as there might be an engine problem. Don't tell them about the tuner, but do tell them you disconnected the battery cable because you have been told that that will reset the learned trim. This is true, and explains why your PCM says it's just been reset... Do not mention the tuner, as if you do, the dealer will cop out on fixing. Sorry, but that's the facts.
If it's bad gas, there should be others with the problem.
If it's a coincedence and something just went south on your engine, warranty should cover it.

Now assume you put it back to stock, and it stops pinging, then you have a bad setting in your tune.
I would recomend getting the latest tune from the DP site, and make sure all your settings are 'stock' when you reload the tune.
In the manual that comes with the DP it tells you how to retard the timing.
Let's get you to where you are not pinging before we worry about that.
Chris