Adding acetone to gas for improved mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM
sir alpha
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have done it, it works but kind of a pain in the butt to get in in every tank and mea. it right i used 1.5 oz to every ten gallons of gas

Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Is there any fuel-saving scam you HAVEN't yet fallen for?

Magnets, acetone.....etc

Last edited by IB Tim; 04-01-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Is there any fuel-saving scam you HAVEN't yet fallen for?

Magnets, acetone.....etc
Questionable it may be, but acetone is not a scam, since as far as I know it is not sold by MLMs, questionable individuals who claim impossible mpg gains, or for highly inflated prices.

I've seen claims for acetone on the web that was in the "even if its true I don't believe it" category, but that page was not selling it, nor linked to sellers or manufacturers of acetone.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM
MontanaMan
Junior User
Well ... I found only one reliable test of acetone as a fuel additive.

Kettering University did a controlled study on regular gasoline in a Buick V-6 motor mounted in a test stand, and ran it under varying loads and conditions (programmed into a computer).

They then repeated those exact same conditions (same computer program) with acetone as an additive.

Unfortunately, they got pretty much no difference with acetone.

So far, this is the only tightly controlled test I've been able to find, and it doesn't look very promising.

Here's the link: http://www.kettering.edu/news/archiv...p?storynum=406

Old 11-19-2006, 06:44 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
I have heard mixed reports about using acetone. Some say that engines can be damaged. Acetone is the major ingredient is most fuel additives but I think a soft foot on the gas pedal and a well tuned engine and proper inflation in the tires will give better results. A good way to test the acetone theory would be to use your lawn mower. Put exactly the same amount of gas including the acetone into it and see if it runs longer using acetone.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 AM
JDJINTX
Junior User
Does anyone know if the acetone would affect the gel-temp in diesel fuel?

Thanks...

Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM
blackout150
Senior User
I tried acetone 3 oz per 14-16 gals, in my carb'd 302. No huge difference in mileage. More likely the mileage gains people are seeing are due to driving style than anything. If you would ease away from the light rather than hot footing it, you would probably get better mileage than additives could ever give you. That being said, the less weight you are moving the better mileage you will get. Take out what you dont need, keep your tires inflated. My expedition says to inflate the front tires to 26 lbs. what a joke. The only reason for that is to give a smoother ride, I pump them up to 32-35 lbs and keep them there. I can live with the ride, it is, after all, a truck.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well ... I found only one reliable test of acetone as a fuel additive.

Kettering University did a controlled study on regular gasoline in a Buick V-6 motor mounted in a test stand, and ran it under varying loads and conditions (programmed into a computer).

They then repeated those exact same conditions (same computer program) with acetone as an additive.

Unfortunately, they got pretty much no difference with acetone.
While there's no point to argue with their test results, I'm almost certain that they used a fairly recent, EFI engine with modern controls that can compensate for most changes acetone may cause, and so results may not necessarily apply to a car with an older engine.

Acetone definitely oxygenates fuel (similar to alcohol) and it probably decreases surface tension, too. No idea what it does to octane rating and the speed of the flame front. Anyone?

Because of the relatively small amount, the effect from oxygenation should be very small, at best, but if an engine runs rich, that's still better than nothing.

However, the decreased surface twension may come into more significant play with older, carburated engines because the finer droplets should lead to somewhat better and more efficient burning. Of course, this is all untested and unproven; however, if I ever get my 77 Pinto SW fixed (unstable idle, probably vacuum leak or bad EGR) I can test to see if this makes any sense, or not.

If anyone has access to an exhaust gas tester (HC, CO, CO2, NOx) some effect of acetone on a carbed engine should be easy to test using an older car that has no electronic engine controls (no O2 sensor!) and preferably no CAT, either.

BTW, I did try acetone in a '95 EFI 351W (Bronco) and I didn't notice any statistically significant difference.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
pud
Posting Guru
just watched myth busters where they added 1 liter of acetone/gas mix to their monte carlo. Didnt change mileage at all. They had it hooked to a dyno.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
use an egg not acetone.. you put the egg between your foot and the gas pedal and press so easy you dont break it.....

Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 AM
MSJ
New User
the evidence i saw

a few years back a feller brought his 230k mi, throttle body, v8, car in for me to change a cracked exhaust manifold, i guess that model manifold had a bad habit of breaking, i played billey _ell finding one, but here is where the story takes the twist...

when i unbolted the manifold, it was the color of new cast iron inside...what the _ell am i looking at...got my mirror on a stick, the ex-ports are bare metal, the the back of the valves are bare steel...there is not a trace of carbon to be seen...

i put that poor fella thru the 3rd degree, he has used acetone in all his vehicles for the last 20 years. yes, each vehicle will prefer its own concentration. he stated 2.5oz per 10g gasoline and 1.25oz per 10g diesel has been the most he ever saw produce optimum results. this is a case where less is better almost every time. he is a bean counter by trade, i can't argue his numbers...

he explained the phenomenon this way to me, as a waterstrider bug relies on the surface tension of the water to support it, all liquids have some surface tension. acetone in gas/diesel reduces the surface tension on each droplet of fuel thus improving combustion...

i have learned that my old chevy van likes 2.3oz/10gal. my geo likes 1oz/gal, my harley likes 2.8oz/gal, go figure...

hope that helps someone out there.

MSJ

Old 02-03-2007, 05:19 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
What is your mpg gain from acetone? Do you have alcohol in the gasoline in your area?

I'm asking these because I've tried acetone, and didn't get any statistically significant difference. When doing some reading on acetone, I came across a page where they stated that the presence of alcohol will decrease the effectiveness of acetone, and it will have little or no effect with the usual E10 blends. Of course, I can't get anything but E10, not only in WA, but even in ID where I occasionally go to.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I have used acetone for over 2 years now. This subject has been debated at length on this forum in the past. I wouldn't be using it today if I didn't get results. A friend of mine has 3- Dodge Cummins, 1- Cat diesel, & 4- 350 BIG CAM Cummins. He runs acetone in ALL of them. With the Dodge Cummins he tells me he see up to 3 MPG increase. I don't try to tell people about it because I'm tired of all the experts that NEVER TRY IT, nor have an ENGINEERING DEGREE telling us all about it. I really appreciate those that think if it was GOOD the oil companies would use it. The same thought pattern as those that believe the GOVERNMENT WILL LOOK OUT FOR US.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
christcorp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent comments here. I have been tinkering with cars for too many years, and have heard the acetone suggestions many times. Chemically, it should do what is claimed. Actually, I will start my own experiment this weekend. The thing that really bothers me about the nay sayers is that either they have no evidence to back up their position, or the so called proof they base their opinion on is tainted.

For instance; it has been said over and over again that no more than 3 oz of acetone per 10 gallons; Sometimes even less; Is all that is required. Much more than that, and it actually defeats the purpose. Yet, people like Mythbusters supposedly puts in a liter (36 oz) of acetone into a tank. Oh yea, that's accurate compared to what the people claiming it to work are suggesting.

Then, it is also mentioned over and over again, that gasoline with ethanol in it will actually cancel out any improvement the acetone may provide. Yet again, when someone like mythbusters or someone else does their experiment, they seem to be in a place like California where it's almost impossible to get any type of gasoline that doesn't have ethanol or other alcohol type additive to it.

This is one reason I am going to go ahead and give it a test. Where I live, the Exxon stations and some others don't have any ethanol in the fuel at all. Plus I understand about 1-3 oz per 10 gallons. I plan on putting in 3 oz into a 16 and 18 gallon tank on my F250 with a 460 in it. That will be equal to 1.8 oz for 10 gallons and 1.6 for 10 gallons respectfully. After reviewing those 2 tank fulls, I'll put in 4 oz in each tank which would equate to 2.5 and 2.2 oz per 10 gallons. I should know something by then.

I drive the same every day, and I know exactly what my gas mileage is. 9.6-10.2mpg. No more, and no less. If certain people don't want to believe what some people's experience are, then they don't have to try it. I personally don't know if it's going to work or not. But I do know 3 things. 1st; I will use the proper proportions recommended, and not 36 oz in a tank of gas. 2nd; I won't be using it in gasoline that has ethanol in it. 3rd; I know that at a proportion of about 1:640 (2 oz acetone to 1280 oz of gasoline - 0.23%) That there isn't any harm that can happen. Hell, you could put 2-3 oz of Kool-aid in your tank and it wouldn't hurt anything. Especially considering that on average, there is approximately 9-10 oz of impurities and water in your tank. According to Road and Track. Anyway, it's worth a try.

I would just like to thank the many people that actually have an open mind to try things for themselves and formulate their own opinions. Nothing worse than someone basing an opinion solely on what someone else has said. Especially without knowing if what they said was factual or not. Or worse yet, forming an opinion based on ancient data and extremes. I.e. "Gotta change the oil at 3000 miles, cause that's the way my daddy taught me and his daddy taught him". Forget the fact that oil and cars have changed dramatically in the last 30-40 years. Even the car manufacturer doesn't recommend that often. If anyone, they and the oil companies would want you to change it more. Or in this case, believe that 3-4 oz of acetone in a gas tank will somehow ruin your seals, o-ring, etc... Not even realizing that the majority of fuel treatments and injector cleaners have acetone in them. Anyway; to those who are willing to learn; willing to broaden their mind; and look at things scientifically and not emotionally, you are a credit to this and other forums.
Later... Mike....

Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
wow dude, christcorp that was epic man...well said too articulate and eloquent!

Quick Reply: Adding acetone to gas for improved mileage?