Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1991 Engine into a 94 (Explorer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it running over the weekend. After re-assembling the top-end (etc, etc) she fired right up first try (go figure). I had an annoying sticky lifter/valve when it first ran but it seemed to quiet down when the oil got flowing. Small exhaust leak but all the rest seems good. At least I have a running vehicle. I need a new 9-volt for my reader before I can pull any codes.

I still have no idea where the grey/yellow - red lead goes but I'm certain the Brn/Pnk - red is the missing EGR. I have a ton of tweaks to do yet before I try to replace the EGR. I need to finish the exhaust, do the rocker panel some drive train work, brakes, hubs and some chasis electrical.

I have a photo of the original motor in the 94 (drivers side) once I figure out how to post it I will.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Sounds good. On the exhaust - go ahead and use felpro gaskets. Even though stock doesn't have them, old manifolds warp and this could very well be the cause of your leak.

You know the gry/yel and red wires go to the fuel evap canister but maybe you need to jerry rig the connection.

Posting pic's is a little complicated. Go the the "User CP" tab at the top left of any posting page. Then you can creat a picture gallery. Once you upload the pics, there is a link at each picture labled "forum codes" Click this link and you can then copy and paste the web link into a post. So first upload you picture and then copy/paste the web link into your post.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
My attempt at posting the photo...

This is the 94 motor in the 94 body as I bought it.

The exhaust... not sure. The manifold was never removed. I welded up some flange clamps to bolt the old "Y" pipe onto the 91 motor. I'll wrench those down and see what happens.

The mystery wire? I'll keep looking for it's home. The chassis electrical is complete and working. Just brakes, hubs, exhaust (completion) and body work to go (and a million minor "tweaks" I'm sure).

Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Yuk. I see why you wanted to pull this motor. It looks likt the DPFE is hooked up to your fuel evap canistor - hard to see but if so that is wrong. The two ports on the DPFE go to the EGR tube off the exhaust to the EGR valve - the one you don't have. See the phot I posted before and it's real clear.

I forgot 94's got a plastic intake so this looks a little different than mine but your 91 motor should end up looking like the picture I posted.

Brake booster looks a little rusted so I'd check for brake fluid leaks around the master. Not much else to comment on from this picture. Make sure you tie back all the plug wires off the exhaust.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
I went for a drive today and it seems decent. There will be a ton of minor adjustments to be made. My CEL light came on (can you imagine why?) lol

I need to find a 94 truck so I can have a good look at what I am missing etc and go from there.

The exhaust leak might be where I bolted the "Y" pipe to the manifold but I'll check that out too.

We'll see what happens when it comes to emissions inspection and safety check.

Thanks for all of your help.

Gil

Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
They may not pass it if your CEL is on. It's probably just the EGR. Good Luck.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Gil. I found out where your gry/yel and red wired connector should go. On mine, the vapor canistor solenoid is in between the upper and lower intake manifolds. Right in the middle where you can't really see it. There is a vac lin off the throttle body that goes to a special Tee at the solenoid. The other end of the Tee goes to the vapor canistor - the line that you currently have hooked up to the DPFE switch. There's a hose clamp in your picture on the line at the DPFE I am talking about. So when the solenoid is triggered by the PCM, the throttle body provides the vacuum to purge the canistor.

I found this today while I was removing my throttle body whistle. If you need the solenoid part number, I can probable get it but it's a bitch to see. I'm sure the Ford dealer knows exactly what you need. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
I think you are suggesting that the solenoid where the connector is located may be missing from my machine. I'll have a look but I think that may be the case.

I really need to have a good look (and photograph) a 94 so I can replace/reassemble the emmisions devices that have been removed. The Haynes/Chilton books are written to cover 1991-2001 vehicles so the details on specific years is lacking (diagrams etc).

Old 09-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
That is what I would suspect. Since your evap purge line is connected to te DPFE, the purge solenoid is probably not present. I can't seem to find it on line at Autozone. I'm sure these are relatively cheap at Ford. Another thing to check too is what's going on at the throttle body where the vac lin hooks up. It's at the bottom, driver's side - a steel stub sticks out of the throttle body. Need to make sure it's plugged or actually connected to the purge solenoid as designed.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
What I've done for now is plug every vac line that is related to the missing devices. I'll add back the components as I find/replace them and connect the appropriate wiring/hoses.

I ran it around the city today. There are still some minor issues (not including the ones we've discussed) but not too bad all-in-all. I disassembled and cleaned the 4X4 transfer case motor so I now have four wheel drive. I also worked out some other minor ailments.

Eventually I'll have a truck that will get me through a winter or two. Most of the "heavy lifting" is behind me so I'm confident we'll get 'er done.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Cool! That 4WD motor and sensor assembly is not too bad huh? I had to do that on mine. It first went out at the lake when I was very vertical and launching the Jetskis. It took 4 or 5 times but finally locked in and I didn't touch it until I was back on pavement. That was the last time it went into 4WD untill I rebuilt it. I used a 1/4" polyurethane fuel line for the busted up plastic position stop liner - the steel screw head on the back of the worm gear. lined it up just as it was when I took it apart and now it works as good as new. Total cost -$0.

But Gil - your fuel vapor purge canistor hooked up to the EGR DPFE? Where did that come form?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
My worm gear was OK. Many guys say that the plastic gets chewed up in there and prevents the gear from engaging. I cleaned the contacts on the motor (cleaned the whole unit actually) and now we have 4X4 again thankfully.

A good bit of information on this and other maintenance on:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/

The vac line (EGR/DPFE etc) in the photo I posted was from the original 94 engine as pictured when I bought it. I found about a dozen serious issues with the way this truck was treated in it's prior life. Removal of emmissions components, RABS sensors, "patch jobs" all over... just a mess.

When I finish the "rebirth" of the 94 I'll post photos (and photos of what's left of the 91!).

Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
So you didn't find that little plastic ring on the backside of the worm gear to be all busted up? Wow. Mine was in 3 big peices like it just shattered one day. Since this provides the absolute home position - motor drives until it hits this stop at 2WD position - I believe it's the root of the lack of 4WD engagement problem. The sensor rotor goes too far and the contacts are lost. Then the controller doesn't know where the mechanism is and just does nothing when you hit the 4WD button. Sure dirty contacts will do this too. Mine were not dirty. I've only engaged the 4WD maybe 50 times so it wasn't like it was worn out. Sounds like the project is on its way though.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Gil Chesterton
Senior User
Jharger,

Get this...

I found a 94 Explorer at a wrecker to see how the EGR was hooked up. I found out that the upper intake manifold on my 94 motor (the one that was shot and I replaced with the 91 motor) was not from a 94 at all!!!

It seems that the genius who "rebuilt" the motor for the guy I bought the truck off replaced the upper intake manifold on the 94 with a unit from a 91-93 and left off all the emissions devices! That's why I couldn't figure out where the EGR was supposed to go as there was no port or mounting holes on the intake manifold. This clown also re-attached the DPFE valve, ran the vac hose to the charcoal box and then welded closed the exhaust manifold port for the EGR pipe.

Brutal!

I have since replaced the charcoal box vac line (with solenoid) and I have bought a 94 upper intake manifold. Now all I need to do is find the replacement parts for the EGR assembly, replace the drivers side exhaust manifold with the 94 version and we should be ready for the road.

I also replaced my rebuilt cam position sensor with the one I pulled from the junked 94.

All said it's looking pretty good. Knowing my luck thought the 4X4 (as we discussed) will crap out in Jaunuary, in a blizzard, -20 degrees etc

Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Amazing what people do isn't it? EGR's are actually a good thing. They only operate at crusie and idle, not WOT. And not only do they recirculate exhaust and burn the rest of the fuel not originally burned the first time around, but since there is so much less O2 in the exhaust than the incoming fresh air, the PCM leans out the mixture a little - better gas mileage! And who couldn't use that these days? Lastly, since you are burning less fuel with the EGR on, the combustion chamber peak temperature is reduced and the engine runs cooler which everyone knows means more power.

The upper intake in the pic you posted is the black plastic one right? This through me for a loop. I knew later 4.0's used this but I wasn't sure waht year or car model (Explore, Ranger, Aerostar). I ave a document on replacing the intake manifild gaskets and it pictures such a black plastic upper intake on a 98 Ranger. Trust me, 1993's had aluminum upper intakes - see my pisture earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure 91 and 92 used Al too. So it looks like you might have a later (95-98 o so) upper intake.

I wished I had saved my old exhaust manifolds when I replaced them with headers. The drivers side was set up for EGR being a Ca car.

Keep at it - looks like it's coming along.

Quick Reply: 1991 Engine into a 94 (Explorer)