Sponsored by:

Electric window motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 PM
flg8orz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Electric window motor

Can anyone help with the removal/replacement of a passenger side window motor for an 89 Bronco? The motor is attached by steel rivits, which I have already broke a drill bit trying to remove one. I would really like some sort of diagram of the motor and maybe a step by step removal instructions if anyone has that. It seems there is no room to get the motor out once you remove it from the panel. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't need to remove rivets(what holds window regulator to door)just drill three holes where punch marks(dimple) are- holes must be big enough to get a 5/16 socket(or 8mm and some dum dum in socket to hold bolt from falling into door) in there to remove three bolts that secure motor to regulator, most times you have to remove speaker to get your hand up in there to grab motor.Motor is bad right? hitting switch in up or down mode while watching dome light to see if it slightly dims while pushing up or down tells you motor is bad-- light dims in both directions, hook up battery charger and set to high(jump pos)in stuck down- push button up while slamming door a few times- most times it will go up but motor still needs replacement. Door panel off use reverse polarity test light- unplug motor- plug test light point into one terminal- aligator clip into other- push switch up and down - lights green one way red the other way, good to wire plug bad motor-- Hope this helps!!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
By the way--to drill out rivets--Always take a small punch and punch center steel pin out first- Damn near impossible to drill out with it still in there!!!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
flg8orz
New User
I should of been more specefic. I bought a rebuild kit for the regulator as the motor is fine. Motor works great it's just that the window won't go up or down it just turns. So what I was thinking was I would just replace the little plastic spacers in the regulator, but I also thought I had to remove the motor and regulator per instructions I received with the rebuild kit. Does this sound like a legitimate fix? Thanks for the help!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
You mean plastic pins in motor drive right?(Remove motor to install these 3 pins or new center gear with pins in already)No plastic that I have ever seen in a window regulator

Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
gman88
Senior User
It sounds like the problem could be in the motor gearcase. The clutch mechanism pins are most likely shot, it is very common. Can you see the gear turning on the motor? If motor runs and gear is not turning it is most likely in the motor gearcase.

Good luck

Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
flg8orz
New User
The motor does turn just nothing happens. So I have to ***-U-ME the gear is probably worn out. Anyway to fix it? I got the rebuild kit for $6.00 and thought I would try it first instead of buying a whole new unit. Trublufords, do you happen to have or know where I can get a picture or a parts break down on the regulator and motor? That would sure help me.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
No here- got it at dealership I work at---BUT remove motor first as prev. detailed, remove one phillips head screw, lift plate off, pull plastic gear off center pin, clean out old grease and broken plastic pieces, put new grease in cavity where gear goes, install gear drive, smear grease on sides of gear, put cover back on and secure with screw, put motor back in door lining holes up with regulater snug three bolts up, turn ign. on, touch up down button to seat motor and then tighten up motor.Cost wise and potential come back repair-- we don't usually install drive only.replacement of motor is what I would recommend if it came into our dealership- one hour repair job.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
redneckmechnic
Senior User
autozone has decent power window motors. there new not rebuilt jobs and really make the windows go up and down fast. i have one in my truck thats 3 yrs old now and works just as good as the day i put it in. the guy before me had put a napa rebuilt one in rite before i got the truck in both sides and they bothed failed in about a yr. Rich

Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
flg8orz
New User
Would you happen to remember what you paid for it?