Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford vs Wife

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 AM
justine's77ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford vs Wife

just wanted to see if anyone can help. We're adding a 7th addition to our family. Yeahhh. We need to get another vehicle that will fit all of us. I suggested an Expedition to the family, but for some reason the wife and kids don't like them. i'm looking for help to get the advantage onto my side. they're looking at a durango. that would be alittle cramped for us but they like the looks of it. they're also looking at the yukon and tahoe. i'v always liked fords but i'm being outnumbered. is there any advantages of the expedition over the other SUVs that i can tell the wife. out of six of us at work, 3 have expeditions. I would like to make it 4.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:35 AM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could give a lot of smart alek answers on this, but the best bet is to look at it from a family man's point of view.
If you have several people in your family and you actualy need the room....I would suggest getting the vehicle that has the most room. You also need to see where you can get the best deal for your money....I paersonaly think a 63 corvette is a realy good looking car.
Can I afford that car. Nope
Is it comfortable to ride in? Nope
Can I afford the insurance? Nope
Would it be a good deal for me just because it looks good? NOPE
Money is tight....you need to get the one best suited to your family that is the most reasonable. I personaly don't like a dodge...but if it's a good deal...then it will probably be the best answer. If the Ford is the best deal...then jump on it.
If you have your heart set on the Ford...bear in mind you are Dad and you have the final say. This is just my opinion. You'll have to do what is best for you and your family.
Doc

Old 06-29-2005, 06:35 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
well i owned a durango and yuck! super cheap quality it was in the shop 97 days in 2 years. the expedtion while not perfect has some big plus's. they come with the ultra reliable modualr motor and it has been bumped to 300 hp and if you add on the tow package for 200 you get the upgraded rear end and heavy duty tranny and cooler this is a upgrade to get even if you don't tow. the expedition also has the biggest brakes in the industry 13.5''. have you seen the truth about trucks video if not you should that will show you alot about how ford builds these . the expy also has independent rear suspension.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:36 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
and until july 4 you get 5,000 cash back on the expy

Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Ford does have some great deals going on right now..

Old 06-29-2005, 07:53 AM
DaveMac2Vans
Elder User
Ask a Durango owner what kind of gas mileage he gets. That should solve the problem for you.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:41 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
You must not be married or have not been married long. Tie votes go to the Mrs. You may end up with what you want today but you'll suffer in the long run. I'm still reminded of the first house I bought in 1968 when I "forgot" to tell my wife first. You may win the battle but you will surely lose the war. You gotta figure out a way to make her think it was her idea.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe an Econoline? Plenty of room especially if you go outta town or camping. Just a thought. Get a 250 with a v10

They suck in the looks department but they beat the roominess of the expi hands down.

I went with an Astro van, seats 8. Good room but still a 'small van'. But I don't have a family of 7.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM
justine's77ford
Junior User
This is going to be her daily driver, and family transportation for out of town trips. the wife doesn't like the minivans. wagons are out. SUV's only, unless there's a 7 passenger truck. ayes. when we were '6' She did consider the extended f-150's at one time . she end up getting a dakota quad cab though. I think i'll go into coercion w/ the car dealer to have her drive mostly expeditions.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Buy an excurtion befor you can't get a new anymore, lots of room
for everyone and stuff and still be tuff.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:25 AM
justine's77ford
Junior User
excursions seem huge. she'll be driving approx. 40 miles round trip to work and back every morning. that's why i was thinking expeditions.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted an Expie, and my wife had her heart set on a durango......almost identical to your situation, except without the kids(1 on the way). Here's what I did. On the NICEST day possible, take her out to the ford lot. Drive an Expie with leather captains chairs and a sunroof........as she's taking off out of the lot, open that sunroof. That's what I did, and she got the biggest smile on her face and looked over at me and said"This is nice! I would love this!" I could barely get her to drive back to the car lot. The word "Durango" never came out of her mouth again. We bought the Expie that weekend! Never have had a problem with it, besides keeping the tank full. She loves "her" truck.--Ryan

Old 06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
For that many kids, a Suburban is almost impossible to beat on the bang-for-the-buck equation. We didn't go with an Expy until we could downsize out of a Suburban. (wife really did like the Expy, though)

Last edited by polarbear; 06-29-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Well i would say the bang for the buck would go to the excursion
arnt the bigger and acually cost alittle less?

Old 06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
hatemakings/n
Elder User
[QUOTE=justine's77ford]This is going to be her daily driver, and family transportation for out of town trips. the wife doesn't like the minivans. wagons are out. SUV's only, unless there's a 7 passenger truck.

I saw a stretched super duty once. It was an advertisement for a company that stretches anything. They mainly do Hummers and Excursions but they did a superduty 4x4 that had a lift and about a 40" tire setup. IIRC it was about a 5 door on each side. I'll try to find the link.

Quick Reply: Ford vs Wife