Notices

Bug shields - Do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug shields - Do they work?

For a 92 Explorer. I just replaced the windshield - again and am trying to do better with this one. I am sure that those shields that fit onto the hood will not help much with rock deflection but do they really help with insects?

Reg

Old 06-23-2005, 12:17 AM
angryoriental
New User
yes but in some instances in can make your windshield washer fluid not hit the windshield at anything above certain speeds. does that make any sense?

Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 AM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
Yes it does. The washer doesn't work anyway so it's not a problem for me.

Does one style or brand work better?

Reg

Last edited by afinepoint; 06-23-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 AM
rhino_160
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
i have noticed that on some friends of mines vehicles, they have a cheap brand they seem to fade out to a dull black after some time..i have the ventshade bugflector 2 and they stay black for life and if it doesn't they have lifetime warranties with them

Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
200Proof
Senior User
On my last truck (Expedition) I never used a bug shield and seemed to get a rock chip in the windshield once a month driving on Houston freeways. On my new truck (Excursion) I have been runing a Ventshade Bug Defletor from day one & have not had a single rock chip in the 9 months I have had the truck. So I would have to say yes, they do work & I have not had any problems with the washer fluid not hitting the windshield even at 80 mph on the highway.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of those cheapie Walmart ones on my '88 F-150. It doesn't really help keep bugs off the winshield at highway speeds. It will prevent rain water from running off the windshield at speeds below 40. I keep a coat of Rain X on my windshield.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I think they help with rock chips and bugs if they get in the way of the bugshield. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:45 PM
bumpzter
Senior User
I heard that bugs call them suicide shields. Have been unable to find someone to confirm this.

But they don't look good. IMO.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
here's an idea - fix the washer fluid problem so you can wash the bugs away. Then you don't have to worry about deflecting them. My brother put one on his early 90's ranger and he swore by it.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
mikeyswood
Elder User
I have an old F-Series (94) and I swear by them. The Bugflector II is worth every penny. I was following a dump truck on 275 doing fiftyish and I could see the stones comes towards me and defyingly float away. This was so fascinating that I had to follow this truck for about ten miles to confirm what I was witnessing. The jet stream is absolutely bent in your favor, and only the REALLY big ones get through.

They run about $50 here and I keep one on all of my vehicles!

Mike

Old 07-16-2005, 02:44 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Well worth it bug shields. they also double as rock deflectors
ours on my wifes exped shattered when a golf ball size rock
jumped off the road and hit it so 50$ for the shield or 500$
for the windshield and maby a hood dent to boot, cheap investment.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:14 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I have a painted to match"Ventshade" on my 99 Ranger since it was delivered. I'm on the second one now as the first one took a stone hit, cracked & later broke. Can't say it does much for bug strikes, maybe moves em up a little higher on the windshield, but as has been pointed out, it shure has paid for itself in sotppng stone strikes to the hood & windshield. Also the "Ventshade" has a lifetime warranty & if bought through "Leanord" they also warranty the paint to match your truck for lifetime too. So if your bugshield is a painted one, they'll also paint the replacement at no additional charge. So yes I think it's worth it just for the stone guard protection. I also opted for the painted to match "Vent Visors" too. helps keep the cab cooler in summer. The painted product is done on the back side of a clear sheld, so bugs & stones don't chip the paint. looks nice painted to match.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 PM
lavcheech
Freshman User
I think I'm the only one out there thats not in favor of them - that was the very first thing I took off when I purchased my 1988 F250. I think it takes away from the nice look of that model year.
I guess to each his own.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 AM
bumpzter
Senior User
Originally Posted by lavcheech
I think I'm the only one out there thats not in favor of them - that was the very first thing I took off when I purchased my 1988 F250. I think it takes away from the nice look of that model year.
I guess to each his own.
I don't like them either. But I also don't like stone chips, so used 3M invisible tape along the leading edge.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:19 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I too didn't care for the "looks" of a bug shield, especialy the dark smoke colored ones, on my white truck, it kinda took over, you know what I mean, too much contrast, it just drew your eye to it & you missed the nice looks of the (in my case a 99 Ranger) front end.

I also didn't care for the "looks" of the clear bug shield either.

So I opted to have a shield panted to match the trucks color.

They painted a "clear" shield on the back side, so bug & stone strikes wouldn't chip the paint, really looks nice & works good done that way.

The Ford Dealer had the local "Leanord" out building people, who are also "Ventshade" "Lund" & other brands, distrbutor in my area, do the painted scheme & installation.

The painted Ventshade is lifetime warrantied, so if it gets smashed, you don't have to pay again to have it painted. Just keep your reciept. LOL

I also opted to have it installed with double sided "Scotch Structrial Tape", so they wouldn't drill holes in my hood, to screw it on.

This was in 99, the bugshield now comes with the "Sotch" brand double sided tape already on it from the factory.

Just make shure to clean & degrease the under side of the hood thoroughly & keep dirty hands OFF the stickey tape & cleaned hood, when installing it.

If you'll take the time to do that, it'll stick real good for a loooooong time LOL!!!!!

Now IMHO it looks pretty darn nice painted. It matches the general shape of the sheetmetal but sorta rounds off the look a lttle more & now blends in nicely with the trucks lines & paint scheme & overall it just isn't so "contrasty" in color or shape.

I have the "Sport" model Ranger which is monotone, with painted to match bumpers, door handels & I also had the dealer paint the lower front valence to match also, so now the whole front end is monotone & looks very much "together"

So if the contrast of bug shields, "bugs you", consider a painted one for your ride, you may be pleasantly surprised how well it can look done that way. In fact, I thought it looked so good, I opted to do a painted one to match, for my 94 Taurus, looks real good IMHO.

Soon I'll be able to post some pictures & you'll be able to see what I'm trying to describe.

Quick Reply: Bug shields - Do they work?