Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To Cookie88

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
mostroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Cookie88

Cookie88 I saw a past thread regarding pyrometer installations in which you had a clamp style thermo coupler installed on the up pipe coming from the manifold. Could you elaborate on this some? Where did you get it, does it not require tapping and will all pyrometer sensors work with this set up?
Thanks

Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Max1775
Elder User
I think Cookie has the same setup I do. Autometer Pyrometers come with the clamp and ceramic washer for the install. It's as simple as drilling a hole in the pipe before it enters the turbo (while the vehicle is running, to avoid debris going into the turbo), and installing the clamp, probe, and washer as directed. Real simple install and works great. I don't know if all the gauge manufacturers would work the same way, but I don't see why not. Hope it helps, Cookie will probably be along shortly.

Max

Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
when i replaced my entire exhaust, my ceramic washer kinda sorta fell apart....so i made another "washer" with an old 44 mag shell. cut the rim off of it, flattened it, drilled a hole, works great, no leaks. my probe is in the DP, jsut easier for me to deal with.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
mostroke
New User
So when I order an autometer pyrometer they all come with the washer and clamp install set up. Do I need to specify or special oder this set up. Does the boost guage come with the same set up? To me this seems a lot easier then tapping or welding in the plug.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:28 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
yeah, as far as i know all autometer pyro's come with that. the boost gauge, i am not sure (don't have one yet), but it probably comes with the lines and a "T" for your MAP line. don't quote me on that, but i can't imagine why it wouldn't come with it. autometer is good stuff

Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The Autometer pyro will come with the clamp and washer for the band clamp method. Also comes with a threaded coupler if you decide to tap the up pipe. I chose to tap mine and it was very simple as long as you have the patience drills and NPT tap.

Autometer does not provide a T for the map line. However you can get a plastic T or brass T's at Ace or other hardware stores.

Black Cloud Diesel sells a plug that replaces your AIH and the plug is tapped for a brass compression fitting for your boost gauge. NIce simple set up and removes your AIH restriction as well.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummmmm yeah, what they said.

The clamp on style is by far the easiest to install. Drill a single 1/4" hole and plug it in. Seriously only takes ten minutes to have it installed and wired. It takes longer to get the a-pillar off to put the gauge on.

Drilling it with the engine running is not neccessary. The majority of the shavings are going to fall in your face, and the tiny amount that does end up inside the pipe will blow out the exhaust.

As it been pointed out, the Autometer pyro kit will come with everythng needed for either type of installaton, but the boost gauge will not come with the T fitting.

I won't tell you where I got it because I've since had issues with that vendor, and will not recommend them to anyone....ever.

Last edited by cookie88; 06-07-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry Cookie, you were out, and well I was bored and figured this one was to tough for you anyway..........

Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HeatStroked
Sorry Cookie, you were out, and well I was bored and figured this one was to tough for you anyway..........

Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
so its ok for a couple shards of drill shavings to go though the exit side of the turbo? thats what i was scared of.....

Old 06-07-2005, 10:53 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Use some grease on the bit and tap. Take a small magnet and retrieve any leftover shavings around the hole and inside if the magnet is small enough.
Fire it up and you're good to go. (Of course after you install the pyro)

Old 06-07-2005, 10:56 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
ah yes, the magnet. well, if i ever feel ambituos, i'll pull it out of the downpipe, plug that and give it a whirl. so far, not haulin anything and no mods, i guess i'm ok

Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RedStroker6
so its ok for a couple shards of drill shavings to go though the exit side of the turbo? thats what i was scared of.....
Nothing at all to worry about. If your paranoia gets the best of you you can always grease up the end of the drill bit, but there is nothing in the exit path that can be damaged by a few tiny shards.

You could probably pass a small bolt through the exhaust housing without damage, but I wouldn't recommend testing that theory.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
haha....small bolt eh? sounds like a challenge....just think of the noise it would make comin out my stacks....

Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 AM
psdpower
Elder User
When I ordered my Isspro pyro I had the option of either the drill and tap probe or the clamp style, don't know if Autometer is the same way, but be sure to be specific what you want when you order. I went with the clamp on, very easy install, and no leak problems.

Quick Reply: To Cookie88