2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware D.I.Y.'ers- changing your fuel filter may cost you 500 Hundred Dollars !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
chris h
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get through all the smoke and mirrors and imho the root cause for most non cosmetic design 'enhancments' is cost not environment. Environmental based upgrades are usually based on mandates / epa / nthb requirements not volunitary (especially for something like a mechanical fitting) or arbitrary reasons. IMHO it's purley cost based, whether it be savings from cheaper cost on materials, reduced assembly time, minimizes legal/litigation exposure-liabilities. These design changes also support spin off industry and revenue: new tools have to be produced, sold, etc..

O.T a bit here:
If you stop and think about cost vs. environment priorities with auto manufactures, they spend budget and are proactive on activities that (potentially) provide cost savings or avoidance such as process improvements, time/cost/quality analysis, jit supply chain, etc.. This as compared to how they react to activies that draw on revenue or projections with little or no (potentail) return, such as recalls, is like day and night. Implementing a recall or fix seems to be lengthy (sometimes years) in the making, but don't blink if a design change results in cost savings/avoidance, it will be implemented asap. If it means pulling from the net or earning projections you can grow a beard waiting for it to get implemented, that is of course it's not for an epa / nthb bulletin.

Actually how many issues with regard to epa/nthb do you hear of coming off the line versus the typical recall issue. I would think that in part it is because with regard to epa/nthb topics it's more cost effective to ensure those systems are as defect free as possible before coming off the line because such issues usually create immediate and very public recalls, where as known 'non-critical' issues (such as the infamous F150 '04 chassis vib) make it off the line all the time. In my opinion it becomes a 'cost/value of money versus cost of recall/fix' calculation. If they can get by without having to do a recall/fix or at minimum delay it, they hold onto those revenues that much longer.

So in short:
Think of all the gas that is spilled onto driveways and front yards when the filter is changed. THOUSANDS upon thousands of trucks a year spilling a half a pint or so into the ground.
Great in theory and ideology, but not reality.

Ahhhhhhh, don't you just love this country. A person can be a total bone-head and cause a lot of damage, maybe even death, and all you have to do is sue and viola! You get your pride back - not to mention, a lot of cash.
I can agree with this, the change limits / minimizes legal liabilities.

The clip probably saves them a few pennies per vehicle on the assembly line. If it were my truck I would probably be experimenting with some small hose clamps about now.
I can agree with this, the change reduces assembly cost or the fitting is just less costly than the previous design.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
hendomatic
New User
Changing the F150 Fuel Filter(what a tiny little filter)

About 9 years ago I invested in the little gizmo that unlocks the fuel filter from its sophisticated grip of the fuel line for my wife's mustang.

Its paid for itself time after time. Today, it did its magic again on my 2004 F150.

I think ford makes these insane devices to force you to let them change the filter... If you saw how much gunk comes out of the upstream end when you unhook it, you'd wonder how the filter lets any gas thru.

Dennis

Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 PM
GRNMSTR
Senior User
That is all fine and Dandy but they didn't make it easy to fix.... I have a 04 5.4L that has 280K on it and just replaced the Fuel Pump, now the Pressure Fuel Line will not stay seated on the Fuel Pump. The Retainer ring is not collapsing onto the flange on the filter and can be removed without pulling very hard. I have changed the filter every year with no problems.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM
milliesdad
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
what ever happened to the word "simple" can't they make anything simple they just can't leave a clamp a clamp instead they have to give you the "nasa" version of the clamp that you need a degree in clamps to take off sometimes they way over think this stuff when they build it.
Many years ago, I in my past life as an auto parts salesman, one of my customers went to a Ford Service seminar. At the end of the seminar, there was a Q&A session.

One question was "Why are you guys making these cars so hard to service".

The answer was "That's how we are making them. If you don't like it, get out of the business".

Old 12-20-2017, 03:21 PM
kurthb
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Off subject:

"I bet that was the last thing on their minds. Gasoline evaporates pretty quickly and look at how much is being spilled at the gas station next time you fill up. "

and how much is spilled from all the new red gasoline containers that have to be EPA certified...Ughh

On subject:
I too tried to remove the clip, fortunately I was able to figure it that it just pushes in before I broke it...<phew>

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
How about just cutting the line back a few inches on each side and using rubber fuel line hose and some clamps.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM
StarFox
Senior User
It isn't a far-fetched idea at all, someone suing Ford for a dumb move they made themselves.
It has happened before I believe....when is the last time you bought a wiper blade that you could slide into the wiper arm assembly yourself?

Been quite a while.

I had been told that someone sliding theirs on the assembly sliced themselves up pretty good and sued the manufacturer. Now instead of a couple of bucks for the rubber strip you pay $15 for the entire assembly.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 PM
monkey_nuts
Freshman User
I didn't have the easiest time with mine, the last time I did it. The old fuel filter had rusted from the time I replaced it ~7 years earlier. Live & learn, I guess, or watch more youtube

Old 12-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Mark76
New User
Someone, put the wrong clip into the fuel line going into the filter. I tried for an hour to get the line off of the filter. The clip was thin weak and brittle it broke into about four or five pieces. While trying to get the last piece out, I broke the fitting on the end of the fuel line that holds the clip. I guess now i will have to replace the whole fuel line. I do not know if you can just replace the fitting or not. I have to drop the tank in a few days and want to do it all at the same time. Problem is i have not been able to find the line I am looking for anywhere. Any thoughts ? I am probably going to have to hit up a salvage yard.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:10 PM
monkey_nuts
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mark76
Someone, put the wrong clip into the fuel line going into the filter. I tried for an hour to get the line off of the filter. The clip was thin weak and brittle it broke into about four or five pieces. While trying to get the last piece out, I broke the fitting on the end of the fuel line that holds the clip. I guess now i will have to replace the whole fuel line. I do not know if you can just replace the fitting or not. I have to drop the tank in a few days and want to do it all at the same time. Problem is i have not been able to find the line I am looking for anywhere. Any thoughts ? I am probably going to have to hit up a salvage yard.

This is probably what I'd do:

Originally Posted by alloro
How about just cutting the line back a few inches on each side and using rubber fuel line hose and some clamps.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 PM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mark76
What year? I just replaced the filter on my 06 5.4. I broke the clip and got a replacement clip fairly cheap (came as a pair). Doorman has both clip sizes, depends on the the year.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:41 AM
NEO_Mark
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
Time and pressure.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:43 AM
NEO_Mark
New User
The discovery that "things" are designed to be assembled, not maintained.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:34 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NEO_Mark
The discovery that "things" are designed to be assembled, not maintained.

That's not true with the Christmas toys we buy grandkids that are marked "Assembly Required"!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by NEO_Mark
Time and pressure.
Fuel pressure spec is 35 psi and generic rubber hose is rated for 50 psi.

Quick Reply: Beware D.I.Y.'ers- changing your fuel filter may cost you 500 Hundred Dollars !!!!!