1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 04:06 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
i have just read all of the post on this subject, i have a 49f1. it is all stock and the flathead runs like a top.i thought back as a kidd when i was reading this. back to the time when pontiac put a chevy motor in some of their cars.i too look away when i see another type motor in any car or truck that don't belong there.but that is my choice like them putting what they want in their truck.as for me, i am staying flatheads forever. tracy

Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
I know that the GM divisions often swapped engines around. Didn't the late 50's GMC trucks run Pontiac V8's as an option? There are other examples.
I'm an equal opportunity truck geek(old car geek) and currently have a 49 Ford F1, 59 Dodge D100, 66 Chevy C10, and the daily drivers a 2005 F-150 (company truck) and a 93 GMC Suburban
I am running a 500ci Caddy engine in my 49 F1 and I don't apologize about it. I pretty much am in favor for what ever the individual wants to do to personalize his/her own truck. I do get a little tired of seeing the bellybutton 350/350 combo in everything. To me it kinds shows a lack of imagination (although my truck might be on the road now if I had gone bellybutton)
My truck is pretty much a conglomeration, Caddy engine trans, Toyota power steering. updated disc brakes with chevy bearings and Caddy calipers, Buick rubber brake lines, Jeep rubber line in the rear, Caddy steering column, GMC seats, 1958 Pontiac gauges, Dodge radiator, Ford power booster, etc, etc, etc, not to mention all the one off custom fabricated parts.
My advice to all is to lighten up! This is a wonderful hobby where everyone has a different idea about what the perfect truck should be. That is one of the biggest reasons this hobby is so wonderful. Just think how dull it would be if everyone had the same truck, painted red with tan interior and a 350/350 under the hood.

Follow your own paths

Bobby

Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I really don't care if someone puts a SBC in their Ford truck (or car); but I will draw the line when Toyota or Nissan engines start showing up in classic American cars...

I used to have a '66 Mercedes 200D, with a totally worn-out deisel engine. I put a Ford 2.8L V-6 in it, a huge improvement. The M-B owners club kicked me out. I was so-o-o-o hurt...

Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 AM
superman64011
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheMadFabber
So what you guys are saying is that a Ford truck is no longer a Ford truck is someone puts a different motor in it.

There's no logic in that.

Brand loyalty is lame... it breeds hatred toward our car loving brothers and sisters, just because they didn't choose the "correct" this or the "correct" that.

It reminds me of being teased in high school because I didn't wear the types of clothes that the popular kids wore...

You get enough like minded guys together... usually people that cannot give a valid reason for doing what they do other than "because"... and they start sqwaking, complaining and whining... and pretty soon, you have the rest of the FOLLOWERS believeing that is the right way.

I see that happening here... with the end result being the Ford show either excludes non-Ford powered trucks from judging... OR, WORSE YET... they make a different class for the non-Ford powered trucks.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease...

I mean, look at what the average American male thinks is a beautiful woman... tall, bleach blonde, 110 pounds with silicon "augmentation"...

ok, bad analogy...

Anyway, it basically goes like this:

1) It's a Ford truck show

2) Said truck show allows non-Ford powered Ford trucks into the show

3) It would not be right to then exclude non-Ford powered trucks from judging because they are non Ford.

4) The nicest truck wins (or the one the judges like the most)

Sam.

Hey Mad....My girl is 110 lbs, short and Red Headed....

Old 05-19-2005, 10:41 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Albuq F-1,
LOL... there's alot of foreign cars that are updated with genuine American muscle. Swapping Ford or Chevy engines into Jaguars and Rolls Royces seems to be very popular.

Back to factory swaps...Jeep used buick engines for lots of years..for that matter I think Range Rover still does

Oh what a tangled web.......

Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
end of the story

ok gentlemen...

here's the definitive word for the man hisself. (by way of his better half)

I emailed Pat Ford and asked what his criteria for TOTY actually was... my email below and he quickly replied (twice) (actually Jan replied for him) with his answer... it clears up things for me and I'll shut up about it now... and I think I have plans to start measuring for a Kubota tractor engine I saw recentely.... it is a torque monster...

the give away truck for next year sounds really interesting also... got to get registered for that bad boy..

later..

John

my email....

Some of have had a very 'lively' discussion on the last couple of winners
of TOTY at the supernats. There is a school that believes that it should
be a ford powered ford and others that really don't care either way. In
the discussion it was mentioned that this year you addressed this at the
awards ceremony and it was a "custom" ford truck which meant that any
engine would be acceptable....

I wonder if you could give us the skinny... what is the criteria or
restriction on being considered the truck of the year.... I'll be glad to
share your rules with the group and settle this thing once and for all...

missed the gathering this year... illness in the family.... but plans for
next year already in the works... maybe even with a truck !!!

take care and rest up..

John Niolon

and his two replys

Hello John, Thanks for your questions and comments.* The criteria is simply the best truck at the show.* This is a Ford F-100 show, not an engine show.* If we only let Ford powered trucks in the show, the numbers would drop dramatically.* Hopefully you saw the final four in front of the Jacob Building last week along with the 2004 winner.* We hire judges that travel all the NSRA and other large shows to pick our winners.* Then after the final 4 appear, every registered trucker has one voting ballot.* After voting, these ballots are tallied and the one with the most votes gets truck of the year, so even the registered participants have a little say in who wins.* I will try to contact Pat Martin (our judge with staff) and get a list of what he looks for and maybe this will help.* We give away over 225 trophies each year and this year you would be surprised at how many people "didn't" want their trucks judged...so we had a few ex tra trophies left.* Thanks again...we aren't too tired this year.* Things went pretty smoothly.* I will be getting back with you...thanks Jan for Pat

and the second part....

John, I did forget one thing...Ford Motor Company is doing a big put Ford in your Ford campaing and will give an extra trophy next year to someone with a Ford and Ford engine.* They gave one this year and it was a pretty impressive one.* Also the give-away truck for 2006 will be a "new" 1956 F-100 with a Ford engine and transmission (donated by FMO) and is being built by No Limit Engineering and Rob MacGregor in California.* It is going to be about a $100,000 truck when finished and there is a chance that there will be a 13 week series on TV showing the construction.* The truck will be ready by November and will have it's first appearance in the SEMA show out west.* It will go to some lucky trucker who registers for the show with or without a truck....so this could be you!* It will be a much better truck than the one given away in 2003.* I am sorry I forgot to tell you...I was just rambling on.* Hope to see you there!! Jan for Pat

Old 05-19-2005, 10:54 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
John,

Thanks, that clears that up

Bobby

Old 05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I guess then that Ford Ranger trucks are not "Ford"s since they were built by Mazda with Mazda engines?
My 67 Pontiac Tempest came from the factory with a Ford transmission in it!
The engine in my Taurus was made by Yamaha!
The 6 speed in my Truck was built by Borg Warner in Mexico and was used in both Camaros and Mustangs!

This is such a silly discussion IMHO considering the "world" source for so many parts going into today's vehicles. The car companies are finally following the Hot Rodder's lead in using the best parts available no matter who owns the company that built them.

Last edited by AXracer; 05-19-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
There was a good article in the paper about Ford's campaign for "a Ford in your Ford". Their program director admitted that Ford had done little to help rodders build modified Ford engines (very limited Motorsports program), had done little to make "crate" motors attractive, and in general had ignored the market. They also said that the array of Ford engines built since the '50's was confusing even inside Ford, whereas Chev has only had 3 basic V8 series (I guess they were counting block families). In short, Ford admitted to be a big part of the "problem". A web search might turn it up, it was an AP story.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Its definatley a problem messing with the various Ford engine combinations. Making sure of the engine to trans bolt pattern, or the flywheel diameter to match the starter, or that silly plate between the engine and trans, motor mounts, etc, etc, etc........
Several years ago I bought a 67 Mustang project complete with several engines, trans, and boxes of parts. I did manage to put together a running car (eventually). Yep, Fords can be fun.

Gotta luv em!

One of the best vehicles I've owned was a Ford Truck (the other two were Oldsmobile cars)

Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
This is such a silly discussion IMHO considering the "world" source for so many parts going into today's vehicles. The car companies are finally following the Hot Rodder's lead in using the best parts available no matter who owns the company that built them.

With all due respect, this isn't the issue. What grinds my valves is the mindless 350/350 transplant that has become all too common at car shows because "using a Ford engine is too expensive".

I'm not a purist - my 48 F1 is mildly hotrodded - 51 merc V8, dual headers, smitty's, blue dots, 9" rear end and probably some other things I've forgotten. Future plans call for 4bbl Holley, Mallory or MSD ignition, OD trans to name a few. A hotrodder at heart, I drive this thing daily.

Thanks for the msg Jon. They allow anything into the show because numbers would go down???? There's no way to know how many stay away because of the trends they are encouraging? It's all about money isn't it? They should just call it a Custom Truck Show - why even attach the Ford handle to it? I'll go back out to the garage now.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:11 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you're onto something.

Maybe it's a conspiracy.

The aftermarket industry is wanting to shove the all mighty SBC down everyones' throught... because they make more money!

And if you exclude the 350/350 Ford trucks because of the MINORITY of enthusiasts who think a Ford is no longer a Ford after you put a SBC in it... the show will fold, and nobody will attend...

Yea, I think you guys are onto something... and I got a Cornflake that I found in my cereal this morning that looks like the Virgin Mary... I'm going to go sell it on e-bay so I can afFord to put a Ford in my Ford!

Sam.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Well, my truck already had the 400 cu in SBC and 6speed in it when I bought it, and I chose that one over others because I thought it well suited for my purpose of pulling a race car and trailer around the country with reasonable economy and comfort, not because of any brand, and had a price and condition I found acceptable. Aftermarket support for the engine IS important to me because I know that if I need to further modify what I have it will be easy to do with a wide selection of parts available at reasonable prices.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:23 PM
48 Ford F4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I guess this thread will go on for a thousand threads! My simple two cents, If Its a FORD show {Largest in the country} It should by a Ford show. Fords a powered by ford engines.

Mark
Two 48 F4's both powerd by Flats heads
66 mustang 2+2 289 4 bl.
2003 F250 super duty 5.4

Old 05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I can see the point about if its a Ford sponsored event then its logical that the top dog award should be completely Ford. But if thats the case, where do you draw the line. Should the truck be excluded if it has Cragar wheels, or an Edelbrock intake, or Monroe shocks, or AC Delco spark plugs, or a DieHard battery, or even a fram oil filter, etc, etc, etc.

According to jniolon's posting the event was an F-100 show where custom trucks were judged, not a restoration show where every part and component better be factory correct. Sounds to me like swapping in another engine is definately custom.

Ok, I'm done with this topic, y'all have fun

Bobby

Quick Reply: outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#