Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Will only open from outside handle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 AM
habby19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Will only open from outside handle?

I have a 1994 F-150, regular cab, and the drivers side door will only open from the outside. The inside handle won't open the door. It looks like theres a lever that pushes something up to unlock the door jamb type thing, but its's not going up far enough to let it unlock. Is there a spring that needs to be replaced or what? I have had a lot of success on this site, hopefully somebody can help on this topic also. Thank You all!

Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 PM
96Fordf250
New User
Thumbs up

You are right. There is a little rubber bumper missing from inside the door panel. You can find a replacement bumper at an auto parts store. If you want to know what size, use the passenger door as a reference.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:47 PM
F2504x4Gurl
New User
Red face

i have the same problem but its with my passenger door. our problem is that the cabel snapped. its the cabel that connects to the inside door handel. you might want to take off the door panel and check that too. i still havent gotten mine fixed, dont know how to go about doing that

Old 05-23-2005, 08:45 PM
hobo.labo
Senior User
Snapped cable on door latch

Hey guys, 105.00 and about an hour of your time and it's over. Just replaced mine and will give you the steps.

A Chiltons may help.

Remove inner door panel, 1/2 dozen or so phillips screws and a removal tool ( kind of a wye shaped flat tool) to remove the plastic zip fasteners (4) two at hinge and latch sides ea.
One screw inside arm rest pull socket, and two in switch ***'y for mirror and window buttons.

Carefully pry up from the upper and outer edge of the window/mirror control pad and pull out a couple inches to feed the pad down through the opening. You may have to unplug one set of the wires. You DO NOT have to remove the door handle inside at this time.

Slide the door panel ever the door handly and push the mirror/window pad down through the hole. remove the protective plastic. You will have to remove the mirror retaining bolt near the upper area or tear the plastic.

Get a drop light and take a good look inside at the latch ***'y and rods, (take a mental picture), but don't let it intimidate you.

Get a large phillips screwdriver and loosen the three screws holding the latch in place (don't remove yet) reach inside and unsnap the rods (two I believe) that unsnap, they're obvious. The other two are S shaped.
Remove the rear track for the glass, (one bolt). Be sure the glass is in the up-most position and slide it out.

If you have power locks, the selonoid is held in place by a flat tension spring that you can spread with your fingers and disconnect the solenoid from the door. Don't make the mistake I did and drill out the pop rivit. (it's a body rivit and takes a special tool to spread it). The rod that holds this to the latch is S shaped and has to be guided out of the hole. Once this is removed remove the three screws that hold the latch to the door and remove the last rod with the S shape.
Remove the bolt holding the handle ***'y to the door and WaLa, you're half done

The new ***'y may look a little different and that's good. Mine is a "92 and it is a change for the better.

Carefully take out the old bushings and clips and re-use them or be sure to buy them when you get your new ***'y. Reverse the process and have a cold one. Don't forget to install your inside door handle & carefully replace the protective plastic paper around the lock selonoid near the vent louver.
This is an absolute snap compared to a heater control in a 97 E-250. All you need is patience a good memory for what goes where and some mechanical ability.
The $$ you just saved will get you a whole lot of cold ones or a nice start on a vacation.

GOOD LUCK, Howard
92 F-150 SWB 4X4 E-4OD, soon to be 351w, with a 650 Holly Avenger on a Weiand stealth manifold, World windsor heads, Comp cam , roller rockers, .030 bore, forged K-B pistons, balanced, Ford Racing S.S. headers, Mallory Unilite Dizzy
Hope to be rockin on the Michigan sand dunes next summer.