2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades for '06 model F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Sirius channels on my Dish, and I have a brother-in-law that uses the Sirius system everywhere.
Too much garbage, leftwing political stuff, not enough music.
I have been told the XM has more music etc, less propaganda.
Dunno if it's true, but you might want to listen for awhile before you commit to a contract...
Just an thought,
Chris

Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
kato14709
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Chris there is a lot of talk radio on Sirius, but I've listened to my friends, and the music selection is great. More than enough for me anyway. Just my thoughts on this.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kato14709
Yes Chris there is a lot of talk radio on Sirius, but I've listened to my friends, and the music selection is great. More than enough for me anyway. Just my thoughts on this.
What bugged me was not the talk radio stuff, like it or lump it, that's OK, you don't have to turn it on.
I was listening to Jazz, and it was OK, but then I got a 3 minute attack on the NRA, run as a 'public service announcement' So I switched channels, and then got a 3 minute attack on the president, the Republican party, anyone to the right of Stalin, again disguised as a public service announcement.

I don't enjoy my music if they attack me every hour or so. Not worth it, and I will be 'darned' if I will give money to people that hate me. Why not just play the darn music?
If you want politics, put it on the politics stations.
I think music stations should be a hate free zone. Sirius doesn't agree.

For some, this is what they want. Not me.

Sorry for the rant,
Chris

Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
kato14709
Senior User
Thanks for the info Chris. I didn't realize that Sirius had gone that way. I better do more research before deciding. You may have helped me decide. Thanks

Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
dford3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by VBigFord20
I have a regular cab longbed 04. And a Ext cab short bed 04.

I like the reg. cab being alittle longer because it allows me to keep alot of stuff behind my seats.

Bigger wheels are worse for off road, bigger TIRES are better. You need a good amount of sidewall to take the rocks and bumps. anyways these trucks are to bulky to wheel unless you live in the desert. There is no trails I frequent here in Ohio that I can even get my 150 close to without body damage.

As for a LS front end, I say take it one step farther. Offer Air Lockers front and rear with manual lockout fronts.

But hell Im happy with mine. It tows my 18' trailer with my trail ranger just fine.

I would like better seats though. These are to flat and hard.
I meant to say bigger tires. Air lockers in the rear and LS in front is what i'm thinkin now.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:34 PM
dford3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
I'd settle for a nice 5 speed auto.
Chris
A smooth running 5 speed auto wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
dford3
Freshman User
A diesel would be really nice. I could improve milage and power. As for the CVT, there are many kinds of CVT's so the engenieers at ford might be able to take one and get it where it can handle all of the torque of that big engine.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Danko
Senior User
funny!

You guys are hilarious! You want 5 speed autos, 6 speed manuals, more h.p., bigger tires and wheels, diesels, more level, better looking, regular cab, 4.10 rear, etc. THEY HAVE THAT!!! IT IS CALLED THE SUPER DUTY!!!!!!!!!!! I have one being built this week with 362 h.p., 457 ft.lbs. of torque, 4.30 posi, MP3 radio, reg cab, 6 speed, steps, polished alum 17" wheels, decent tires, bodyside mldgs and it is costing me $23K "out the door" after saving less than $1K for employee discount (thnx, bro-in-law) and $3K rebate. Ya'll can spend over $30K on your F150;s and I will have one Hell of a better truck for many thousands less. Check out your local dealer. There IS a reason you will see only a couple SD's there and a zillion F150's left over. As far as CVT's go, they use a belt that is not strong enough for real engines. Riceburners do okay with them. Here in Michigan, a drunk smashed into a Honda. The drunk was driving a truck and not injured. The woman and two sons in the Honda are dead. They got good mileage until then, though. See, if you downsize your car, trees, abuttments, buses, trucks, etc. are still big and is your safety worth losing to gain mileage? More airbags is not the answer. More gears in the transmissions will help, though and 6 speed autos are spreading.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Wanting a 5 speed auto is not wanting a Superduty. If I wanted a large truck that was hard to park, or fit in my garage, etc. I would probably drive a Superduty, if I could buy it as a dually.
If you are towing something regularly, or must tow something the size of a small house, sure the Superduty is a fine choice.
If you want an everyday driver, something for the bad roads, heavy traffic, with enough cargo room to do the things most homeowners want to do, then half ton is the way to go.
Wrestling a Superduty in LA traffic, or just up and down the road for coffee, or going to lunch, shopping, etc. is not a treat. More of a drag.
Driving my little truck is fun. It would be more fun with a 5 speed auto, and get better mileage. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I drove a 2003 Grand Cherokee this week, helping a friend do some cosmetic stuff on it, and with it's 4.7 V8 5 speed auto, it kicks butt.
Lousy handling, lousy brakes, but it has great power, courtesy of a 265 hp motor and the extra gear.
Put that kind of tranny in our trucks, and they would be great.
Chris

Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
yes, Nissan Titan has a 5 speed auto.......nice V-8 to boot too.....

Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
transam396
Senior User
I know that the Rangers came with the 5 spd auto . I had a 02 edge with the 3.0 and the 5spd auto and it was a blast to drive as i understand it the superduty's with the 5.4 come with the 5spd auto and I believe that i read in this post that the Nav's come with a 6spd auto it would seem that Ford could geta better price on there tranny's by buying ONE model instead of THREE. and never mind the fact that they would have a lot of very happy F150 drivers. maybe i need to start looking for a wrecked f250 with the 5.4 and snag a 5spd tranny but for some reason I'm sure ford probably did something that would make a it a real pain in the but never mind the fact that this truck 04 screw with 5.4 is a daily driver and can't be down for the length of time a tranny swap would take. oh yeah and I know at one time ford was looking at a diesel for the f150 and e150 would sure be nice if they would do it POWERSTROKE F150 anyone

Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Danko
Senior User
Sd!

Chris, You obviously have NOT driven a new Super Duty. They will fit into a garage if you get the regular cab. If you want the bigger cab you will have trouble garaging an F150. I am really curious why ya'll want F150's when the Super Duties are SO much better for comparable money and have better resale, too. Please, you owe it to yourselves. Go look at the Ford dealer truck lots and ask yourselves why there are so many F150's there and so few (if any) new Super Duties. Also, your friend's "Five" speed Jeep? Next time you are in it, count the upshifts. There will be three, meaning it is NOT a five-speed. Forrest, There are a lot of Japanese very happy to hear you like the Jap truck. No, don't tell me assembling it in TX makes it American. Owners are Japanese as are most of the machined parts, etc. Stick to your shrimp boat?

Old 05-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Danko
Chris, You obviously have NOT driven a new Super Duty. They will fit into a garage if you get the regular cab. If you want the bigger cab you will have trouble garaging an F150. I am really curious why ya'll want F150's when the Super Duties are SO much better for comparable money and have better resale, too. Please, you owe it to yourselves. Go look at the Ford dealer truck lots and ask yourselves why there are so many F150's there and so few (if any) new Super Duties. Also, your friend's "Five" speed Jeep? Next time you are in it, count the upshifts. There will be three, meaning it is NOT a five-speed. Forrest, There are a lot of Japanese very happy to hear you like the Jap truck. No, don't tell me assembling it in TX makes it American. Owners are Japanese as are most of the machined parts, etc. Stick to your shrimp boat?
Danko makes a good point in that the 250's are far less in numbers on the lots, but that is also because they sell a fraction of them in comparison to 150's. The 150 buyer comes ready to BUY where many 250 buyers come ready to ORDER. I drove the 250 before I bought my 150 and at the time the 5.4 was still the 2 valver where the 150 had the 3valve 5.4. Beautiful truck, but it rode like a roughian whereas the 150 was refined, quiet and something the wife could drive when necessary. My buddy has a 250 extended cab that has never seen the inside of a garage since its so long (8ft bed). It just comes down to what you intend to use the truck for and what you like.

I would encourage people to drive a 250 before spending 25k (what I spent on my Screw) to have some contrast. To compare them is like comparing the Ranger to the 150...they are just different trucks for different purposes.

As far as the Japanese trucks..I am torn. I would never buy one, but they are obviously appealing to someone. However, I just don't see how a Japanese company can come build a better truck than the U.S. That's like an American company going to China and building a better egg roll and taking away market share.

Oh yeah...and for the wish list I'd like factory sprayed bed liner, leveled stance, and 30-50 more hp.

T

Last edited by Truckasaurus; 05-10-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Danko
Senior User
2005?

Was the rough riding 250 a 2005? I do not think so. There have been a LOT of improvements in the new Super Duties and ride comfort is one of them. You ARE right about more 250/350 owners oredering because they are a more experienced group that sees no reason to settle for leftovers when you can order exactly what you want. Again, a regular cab SD will fit in your garage.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Danko
Was the rough riding 250 a 2005? I do not think so. There have been a LOT of improvements in the new Super Duties and ride comfort is one of them. You ARE right about more 250/350 owners oredering because they are a more experienced group that sees no reason to settle for leftovers when you can order exactly what you want. Again, a regular cab SD will fit in your garage.
No, you're right. It was an '04 superduty and I'd love to drive an '05 as I bet they're awesome. I would not buy a regular cab however as I have no use for that kind of vehicle with a family. However I have a 3 car garage with a extra deep 3rd stall and still would not buy an SD. I don't even tow anything...yet anyway.

If I had the need (and cash), I'd buy the SD Crew Cab with the sport package (comes with faux carbon fiber trim) as they look just gorgeous.

Just to put a important note in on the 150's, I looked for a couple months for the right truck and I had EXACT critera on what I wanted for options, paint, interior etc. The dealer located one and I got it for 10k under sticker, so it worked out great. There are so many 150's that you can find one without ordering and get your local dealer to trade another dealer for the exact rig you want.

No need to slam the 150's, they are both outstanding trucks. I'm on your side with the 250, but think they serve different markets.

T

Quick Reply: Upgrades for '06 model F-150