1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear end housing leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear end housing leak?

I've been cleaning and painting the rear portion of my truck. I've notice a small drop of oil on the floor and occasionally on the bottom of the housing. I assumed it was the gasket on the third member was planning on replacing it. Now after painting the rear housing, I noticed the oil wasn't coming from the third member and it wasn't coming from the inspection plug. It almost looks like it's on the welded seam of the housing just underneath the inspection plug? Is this a common problem? What's an easy way of fixing this without yanking the whole rear end out. Since there is no pressure, I was wondering if good ole JB Weld along the seam would work, it's getting painted anyways.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
No advice on this subject?

Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What type of rear end do U have? If its a ford 9in than Id drain and pull the diff.. dry it out and remove all the oil possable.. than a quick brazin job should seal the weld agian.. but I would rather tig or mig it.. that way it would be stronger than before..

Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
It's a 9" Ford rear end. Is it possible to mig it up with the oil in the rear end? It's at the bottom and it's about 1" long.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That not a good idea.. The weld needs to be clean for proper welding.. And there is a good chance that you could start a fire in there.. even worse .. it could explode on you.. Tearing it down is easy and you wont need to reshim it afterwords.. And its best to do the weld from inside and grind it smooth.. Id do it from inside than outside.. grind the inside smooth and be happy with a job well done..

Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Thanks Madathlon, I appreciate the advice.