2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Question

I took my 2004 SuperCrew in to the dealer because the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left since I bought the truck.This is the second time it's been in the shop for the same service.The first time they checked the alingment and it was up to factory specs.They told me to bring it back after 10,000 miles and they would check it again.No charge the first time.This time they checked the specs again and is still up to factory specs but now they say this is not covered under warranty because there is nothing wrong with the alingment and they performed the work.The mechanic said the steering wheel is straight.They want to charge me for an alingment service.The truck has 12,000 miles and not even a year old.Does this sound right to you?Am I not understanding the warranty on my truck?Please any advice would be appreciated,thankyou.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I wonder if there's some mis-communication going on. It doesn't sound like there's an alignment problem going on, just that the steering wheel needs to be centered. (which should be covered, BTW)

Old 04-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Well I spoke with the dealer today and they lowered the fee to 20$ for the alingment and they also said they tweeked the steering wheel so it's straight now.No charge for that.I guess I'll have to live with that!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Check out the warranty book that came with the truck. I believe that alignment problems are covered for the first year/12,000 miles.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 AM
lardman
Elder User
Page 8 of the 5th editon warranty guide say wheel alignment is a maintainence/wear issue that is not covered under warranty. THEN page 9 says "wheel alignments and tire balancing (unless required by a warranty repair) are not covered beyone 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Is it under or over 12,000 miles?

IMO-Considering the complaint is the STEERING WHEEL that is not centered I say it is covered by warranty and the wheel alignment SHOULD be done as part of the diagnosis/fix/check. Not sure how you get around paying them. You make a stink and have them give you $20 to use in their service department. My service department did that for me...but I was so ticked off I never went back. Let us know what happens.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

I would ask to speak to Henry or his next of kin.If you did not request an alignment I do not see how/why they should charge you, especially bringing it back for same service that was not performed properly earlier.I would find out if alignment is required to perform steering wheel alignment, if it is part of the routine then there for sure should not be a charge.Good Luck!

Last edited by Ruckus; 04-27-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Unfortunately the odometer is reading 12,421.They reduced the alingment fee to 20$.You do have a point about bieng a continued problem form the first visit.Should I pursue the matter or leave it at that?

Old 04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Starryknight
New User
If you did not sign the workorder authorizing any charges, the CANNOT charge you. However, alignment is considered an adjustment, and like brake pads, are not warranteed past 12mo and 12000 miles. You should get some action if you explain to the service manager that your service advisor should have advised you that there was a possibility that you might be charged for the alignment. But since you didn't verbally authorize any charges, it is unethical of them to expect you to pay. Whew, long winded answer...

Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your health, 20 bucks, just walk away.
Just don't go back there. You will feel better.
Chris

Old 04-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
For piece of mind and to possibly prevent the next guy from having the same treatment you received, I would schedule an appointment with the Service Dept. Manager to go in and discuss the matter.While making the appointment I would offer to have them ask the dealership owner to be present, if the Service Mgr. would like.You will more than likely get your $20 back and either way you will have done what is right.Good Luck on your decision.Actually, I don't know but a simple phone call to the Service Mgr. might be enough to correct the problem.Keep us posted.