2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back To the AC Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Dunk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back To the AC Problem..

Buddy of mine bought a 04 Lariat a few months ago. The other day we had both trucks in my driveway. Out side temp 81 degrees. With an infrared temp gun I was testing vent temps between the two trucks at 1500rpms. His is blowing 36-38 degrees at the vents and I even saw it drop to 32 right after his compressor kicked in. IOt was actully painfull to hold your hand over the vents for any amount of time. Mine 58-62 at the vents...

Well the new tire came in and figured I'd get back on them about the AC. I did get them to use the spare as a new match to one tire they replaced. They couldn't balance one of the BFG's to Road Force specs. So they put one with 7500 on it up under for the spare.

Finally, they got serious about the AC and found the compressor was bad. Must have been leaking down over the winter because the best they could today was 62 at the vents at 85 degrees outside.. Last Sept they had it blowing 45-47, but that still isn't air conditioning. These systems shouldn't have bit of trouble blowing under 40 degrees at 90 degrees ambient.

Kind unbelieveable they didn't have a compressor in stock for their most popular vehicle, but it's suppose to be in on Friday.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 AM
lardman
Elder User
I had them look at my ac too. They said the system had low pressure, had a leak and replaced 2 o rings and had to refill the system. I heard the plant was not filling them all the way-takes too much time on the line??? Wish I knew someone with one of those guns...

Old 04-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Dunk
Elder User
Yes, mine leaked down right after I bought the truck last July. The had to replace the fill valve. The best they ever got it down to was 45-47. The problem is the system requires 3.2lb of R134. It may not be exactly that amount, but whatever the sticker says it what the tech puts in then turns off the valve. Any idiot knows AC units vary from one unit to another. A few more ounces of R134 might have pulled it down another 5 degrees, but the tech told me they are not aloud to do that. No doubt after they get this new compressor on it I'll have to tweek it. I did the 97 Merc Grand Marquis right after we bought that and it blows 35-37 at vents and has for 5 years now..

You can find cheap version of those infrared temp gauges if you dig through RC hobbie stuff.

http://nitrorchobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OFNA10155