General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone ever replace a heater core in a 93 crown vic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 06:05 PM
lallen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun problem started this afternoon, on a 200 mile trip. Started smelling antifreeze, and windsheild started fogging up. Also, mist coming from all vents. Seems to be classic heater core problems. Other notes is that there is lots of coolant in the rad, and there is no overheating, or other driveability issues.
If I turn the heat on at idle, steam will start rolling out from under the car, then go away.
Please tell me that this can only be the heater core....

Old 09-26-2001, 07:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, without a doubt, the heater core.

Ken Payne
[img src="/dcforum/User_files/webmaster/usaflag.gif" valign=top align=left] Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 09-27-2001, 11:23 AM
oldblue18
Elder User

When i bought my '89, the heater core would leak antifreeze onto the passenger floorboard. I drained and then flushed the radiator then filled it with straight H2O. Put 2 bottles of Bars Leak coolant system stop leak into the radiator while at operating temp. let it idle for about 30 minutes and then topped radiator off with antifreeze. Bingo--no more need for Coke bottle in passenger floorboard to catch stream of hot antifreeze.
It might work for you too. I paid about $4.00 a bottle at Advance Auto. Can't hurt to try before you have to replace the whole heater core....

Jon
1995 Bronco- Eddie Bauer, 351W, E40D, too much to list....
1989 F-150- XL, 4x4, 302, M50D, much more to come...

Old 09-27-2001, 12:06 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it to me. If your heater core and fans etc are setup the same as they were on my 89 Taurus, you may be in for a shock. To replace the heater core in a Taurus, you have to remove the entire dash board and steering column. You will also have to remove the AC core. If you are really unlucky, the AC core will be rusted tight and require the shop to cut it loose and replace with a new one. I had this happen and foolishly took it to a dealer. They charged me over $1,000 to replace the heater and AC(damaged in removal) cores. Reading the shop manual it looks like it would be an all day job for a shade tree mechanic so like I said I was lazy and foolishly took it in to the dealer. Some cars are easy some aren't, hope you have an easy one.

I hope your core is much easier to remove, or you might want to try what the other guy did. I am not sure I would use a liquid leak sealer, I prefer those powdered metal sealers(Copper Seal, Aluma Seal etc). Supposedly they are less likely to clog up the rest of the radiator and only seal holes. I had good experience with them in my earlier cars, used them every coolant change. But if you get a lot of miles, say 100K plus, the powder sealers tend to slowly coat/clog up the radiator. So I don't use the powdered sealers except as required. I never use the liquids since I have read and had bad things happen.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 09-27-2001, 12:06 PM
deadeyeQTX
Freshman User

HEATER CORE!!!
Man O man! The guy who just bought my old 89 Mustang said that it would cost around $400 to get the heater core replaced!!
Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2001, 06:45 PM
lallen
Senior User

I don't know if this will make a difference, but it is the police package, with the HD cooling system, so I am not sure if I want to be adding too much stop leak to anything. 115,000 miles on the car.
Yep, found out that the whole dash has to come out. Wonder how much that will be in Canadian $$$?
If I postpone this a week, keeping an eye on coolant level, what will happen?
Wish this was my 95 F-150, as it is easy to get at. I guess Ford designs these cars to make labor $ on them!!!

Old 09-27-2001, 07:16 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry to hear it's gonna be such a big job to replace the heater core.

In the meantime, you could disconnect the supply and return lines from the heater and clamp them together useing a short piece of pipe or tubeing. That will keep the moisture out of the passenger compartment.

But yikes! That can't last very long if you're in Canada and the Vic's a daily driver!

Old 09-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

To rip a dash panel in order to get at it is a drag, but it needs to be done.

For the time being, you can get away with bypassing the heater core until yo have the time to get at it....

Winter is coming -
You're running out of time....

AT ALL COST avoid disconnecting the A/C lines

You may have to strip out the dash, but it can be done without touching the A/C.

THINK before you take loose the A/C lines, it will pay off later

Old 09-28-2001, 11:14 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster

Another comment.... Most radiator shops(at least where I live) don't like to replace the heater core in the Fords, because of the amount of labor involved. My only choice besides do it your lazy self, was to go to the dealer. they said if things were simple, it would cost $600US. But like I said earlier, the AC also had to be replaced due to frozen fittings, which jacked it up over $1000US, BTW this is an old R12 system so the remove and refill of the freon costs a lot more. I suspect a home mechanic such as myself, could do the job and not destroy the AC core in getting to the heater, but I was not looking forward to dash work, I am too big to easily do that without destroying my back.

BTW on my Chebby, the heater core is easy to R&R, so I am told. My old Datsun truck just needed to have a plastic panel snapped off, no sweat. Why does Ford make it so tough to get at things? Oh I forgot, money.

Good Luck.

Jim Henderson

Old 10-10-2001, 01:14 PM
lallen
Senior User

Well, I tried the can of stop leak, and it worked!! For 2 days..... Well, we love this car, so I guess that I am going to have to replace the heater core. I still wish it was my truck instead.... Very happy for the abnormally warm weather lately.

Old 10-11-2001, 07:05 AM
jerry p
Freshman User

Well, I tried the can of stop leak, and it worked!! For 2 days..... Well, we love this car, so I guess that I am going to have to replace the heater core. I still wish it was my truck instead.... Very happy for the abnormally warm weather lately.
Try the kitchen spice, "ginger",. Warm engine ,dump in ginger,drive a few miles to get it cirulated. Has work for me several times.

Old 10-11-2001, 11:25 AM
lallen
Senior User

Actually, I added a 2nd bottle last night, and it stopped again.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the antifreeze smell from the vents? I have been driving with all windows down, and the fan on high, but how long is this going to last?

Old 10-11-2001, 12:58 PM
LK
Elder User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Oct-01 AT 01:59 PM (EST)[/font][p]A few years back I had a "Brand X" pickup that had a leaky heater core, and I had been nursing it along using stop-leak for a couple of months - it worked fairly well, and would either stop or reduce the leaks. Well, one night on my way home from work (at about midnight) the core basically came right apart - it suddenly started dumping antifreeze by the gallon, and filled the whole truck up with that characteristic sweet-smelling steam to the point where you couldn't even see across the cab. It was not fun at all, especially when you're tired from work, it's a cold winter's night, and you really don't want to deal with that sort of thing. When I finally got home, there was actually a puddle of antifreeze that had collected on the passenger's side floor.

Anyway, my point is that if you're planning to keep the car it might be a good idea to fix the heater core before winter gets here...because the stop-leaks are more of a band-aid than a permanent fix, and having to stick your head out the window while you're driving in order to breathe is not fun when it is 20 below.

As far as getting the smell out, the only way I figured out was like you said - put the windows down, and run the fan on 'high'. Of course, after the core gave out I ended up having to park it with the wondows down for quite some time...because if you rolled them up, they would fog up because of the moisture trapped in the carpet and seats (and the smell would about knock you over when you opened the door). The smell lasted for a few months, but that's partially because the seat and carpeting were so saturated.

LK

Old 10-11-2001, 09:54 PM
buzzer
Freshman User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Oct-01 AT 10:59 PM (EST)[/font][p]I did one on my 92 gran marquis and the crown vic is the same, it was time consuming but you do not have to remove the dash. Remove the glove box and loosen the dash on the right side and pull it back and block the lower side and start your removal.You will have to pull and squeak out the plenums but you can do it. Pay attention to the vac hoses and wires and do not crimp them and you will be ok.You will not disturb the A/C in any way it is out in the engine compartment.The blower plenum comes off in one piece and the heater core plenum in another piece.

Old 10-12-2001, 07:08 AM
lallen
Senior User

Just what I was waiting to hear!!!!!!

Well, today is Friday, nothing better to do this weekend then mess up the car!!!

BTW, it started steaming again.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replace a heater core in a 93 crown vic?