Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

1st Official VIRGINIA CHAPTER MEET!!!! (May 21)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:02 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brats are good over an open fire. You bringing any bratwurst, in addition to the kids? Or is that not what you meant?

Only references I found to campfires are those prohibiting campfires in "backcountry camping" except in designated fire-pits. Backcountry = middle of nowhere, not regular campgrounds. I interpret this to mean campfires are kosher in the regular campgrounds like ours.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:25 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What time are the Tidewater folks meeting at the WH? We should give ourselves at least three hours to get there- more if the group is going to be big (bathroom breaks, etc). Also, if anyone needs a cell phone number, should they leave later than the rest, PM me and I will give mine.

- I will bring the cups and stuff listed above by my name. I will ask- very nicely- for my better half to make some stuff, too (no promises).

Stu

Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Cavalryman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancellation

Originally Posted by TurboMonkey
This crept up fast!

Please review your status (coming or not) and what I've asked you to bring (if you didn't specify something specifically) to be sure that everything is correct.

If you see something else on the 'needed' list you'd rather bring or can also bring, please post or PM me with that or any changes on whether you'll be coming out.

Those who are still tentitive have not been asked to bring anything as I don't want to depend on you bringing something for the group if you are still undecided. If you decide to come, please PM me before Thursday and I can adjust the numbers, otherwise feel free to come out and bring some things to throw on the grill!

If anyone is planning on camping, you'll need to rent your site in the camp ground (Lewis is where I'll be staying, same as the picnic area) when you arrive, there is no reservation system for this campsite.

Only a few more days!! I won't be driving with any of the groups coming into the park as I'll have to be there early to reserve our spot. So look for me when you arrive, or my truck at least. See you all on Saturday!
I have to cancel on this one Turbo Monkey. I have to pick up a couple of horses that I had not counted on dealing with. It is work related so there is not too much choice in the matter. I waited as long as possible in the event that the situation improved, but there is no more time. Sorry to back out. Maybe I can make the next one.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I'm going to hopefully be there by 8am. I'm taking my dads truck, and have to drop him off at work Man, i can't wait till my carb'd truck is ready to go

Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
Hay! Turbo monkey! count me in as coming, and I can bring what calvaryman was going to bring chips and dip, so see yall at WH on saturday morning

Old 05-18-2005, 08:51 AM
65vamonster
Senior User
I should get away from work at about 7:30 coming from Oceana blvd. I will be packed and ready to go. I will be driving the rice burner since the truck is a perpetual project in motion.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 AM
TurboMonkey
Junior User
ONLY 2 DAYS AWAY!!!

UPDATES INCLUDED PLEASE VIEW ENTIRE POST

Date: SATURDAY: MAY 21, 2005

Time: LUNCH STARTS @ 1:00 PM

**please note: the times posted are the times we will leave the meet spot, please leave yourself plenty of time to get there BEFORE the posted time!**

NORTH GROUP
10:30: Caravan 1 meet before Front Royal North entrance
station (take 66 to 340s, entrance to park will be on left
and well marked, We'll meet off on the right shoulder at
the corner of Skyline Drive and 340)

12:00: Caravan 2 meet up at Panorama Station/Rest/Overlook
(enter at Thorton Gap Entrance Station, drive south over 211, meet
spot on right, Caravan 1 will stop to pick you up)

1:00: MEET UP AT LEWIS PARK (approx. 55 miles into park)

SOUTH GROUP
10:30: Caravan A meet at Rockfish Gap South Entrance
Station(anyone who's entered here before, if you know if
a good spot to have the group gather, I'd really
appreciate it, I've never been that far south)

12:15: Caravan B meet up at Swiftrun Gap Entrance (anyone
who's entered here before, if you know if a good spot to
have the group gather, I'd really appreciate it, I've never
been that far south) Caravan A will stop to pick you up.

1:00: MEET UP AT LEWIS PARK (approx. 50 miles into park)

Place: LEWIS PARK
on Skyline Drive (in Shenandoah National Park)
Look for BLUE TABLECLOTHS... and a lot of Ford trucks.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/PDF%20documents/Maps/Campgrounds/Lewis_Mtn_campground.pdf

Who: All FTE Va chapter members and their friends and families

A link to the park map is below.

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/shen/ppMaps/ACF91F9%2Epdf

WHAT WE STILL NEED:

Condiments (1-ketchup, 1-mustard, 1-onion, unknown-cheese)
Side dishes (3)
Charcoal
Lighterfluid/matches or a lighter

WHO'S COMING: CURRENT TOTAL ~15

Fraken-Truck - (hamburgers/hotdogs: two types of burgers, brats, hot dogs and some chicken/beef if interest is there)

TurboMonkey (+3) - (Grill, charcoal, lighter fluid, ice, hotdogs and buns, condiments, cheese)

65vamonster - (Soda/Beer and hamburger/hotdog buns: 16-24 of each)

MonsterBroncoKid - (Beer, hotdog and hamburger buns)

Stu37d (tentitive +2) - (sodas, plastic cups (~20), possible sides-no promises )

BigBlue88 - (plates, forks, napkins, condiments [ketchup, mustard, relish])

Fordguy21- (two types of chips and dip)

Violjohn78 - (water, 24 bottles)

Kista20 - (hot dogs/hamburger buns, 16-24 of each)

Oldredtruck - (tentitive)

Alcohol policy: The National Park posts signs asking for no alcoholic beverages to be brought into the park, however, at one of the shops/grills we stopped at, they sell beer and wine. If you want to bring it in, we are doing so at our own risk (groups have done it before and as long as you trasfer it to a cup, no ones ever hassled them). Just a heads up for those who'd like to partake. It's BYOB... of course sharing is always appreciated.

Overnight Camping: IF YOU ARE LISTED BELOW AND ARE INTENDING ON CAMPING, you will need to get your own site when you show up for the picnic, first come first served. My group will be staying at Lewis Park (same area we are having the picnic) Saturday night only.

OVERNIGHT CAMPERS:
TurboMonkey (+3)
BigBlue88

Oldredtruck (maybe)

Old 05-19-2005, 08:41 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

When you say 'side dishes' do you mean like tater salad and stuff? I can get some at the Super Wally World or Sam's club. The other stuff I said I would try to get would be some of my wife's pastries- namely, chocolate chip cookies . I am still in Florida as of this morning, but am leaving in a couple hours to come back home, so I'll have a whole day to sweet talk her into helping me out. So, if you want some potato salad or cold slaw, let me know, and I'll get some...

Stu

Old 05-19-2005, 08:43 AM
TurboMonkey
Junior User
Originally Posted by stu37d
When you say 'side dishes' do you mean like tater salad and stuff? I can get some at the Super Wally World or Sam's club. The other stuff I said I would try to get would be some of my wife's pastries- namely, chocolate chip cookies . I am still in Florida as of this morning, but am leaving in a couple hours to come back home, so I'll have a whole day to sweet talk her into helping me out. So, if you want some potato salad or cold slaw, let me know, and I'll get some...

Stu
Yep, side dishes such as those would be awesome!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
65vamonster
Senior User
I will bring along a full bottle of ketchup, and some mustard. So fordguy21, stu37d, and franken-truck, I pm'd you guys and will see you Saturday morning.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Maybe someone bringing buns could bring a side instead? I did notice 4 of you will be bringing buns, but I'm only planning 16 'dogs, 16 burgers, 6 or so Brats, and the optional meats if anyone is interested. How much can you guys eat? I don't mind bringing more

EDIT: I can get some brats if you really want BigBlue88, but I can't garuantee what kind of condition they'll be in

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 05-19-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

So, Tidewater brethren, are we going to try to take off from the WH at around 0800? That should put us at the entrance by about 1100, and we can enjoy the scenery on the way thru the park. BTW, it runs $10 (I think) per vehicle to get into the park...
I don't remember anyone bringing that up as of yet...
Also, does anyone know if pets are allowed?? I'd kind of like to bring my dog.

Oh, I'll bring a bunch of 2 liters of soda- hope you guys don't mind Sam's brand (gotta love ol' Wally World), and some tater salad.

See you Saturday.
Stu

Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 PM
65vamonster
Senior User
I just picked up 24 hot dog and hamburger buns, 2 12 packs of soda, and one small package of cheddar bratwurst(8).

Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pets are allowed, so long as they're leashed and you have some provision for disposing of waste. Park regulations, specifically for humans "making waste" in the backcountry, require all solid excreta to be buried in at least 3 inches of dirt. I extrapolate this to apply to dog doo as well. So, bring a shovel, and when your dog excretes, just dig up the spade-full underneath it, turn the whole mess over, tamp it down, and you're good to go. Same goes for you, unless you're going to be all proper and city-fied and use a latrine.

36 hours to go!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
What about adult diapers?

8am should be good. I might be a few mintues late, depends on how quick my dad gets out of the house. Does everyone have a map of some sort? Just to make sure, the WH is the one across the street from the CBN center right?

Quick Reply: 1st Official VIRGINIA CHAPTER MEET!!!! (May 21)