My personal plea for biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM
whowey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hrd-

Very interesting to see someone from probably the most Anti-bio fuels state there is chime in.

I was in CA for work a couple of years ago, and there was anti-ethanol stuff everywhere, in the gas stations, the newspapers,billboards. I felt very strange asking if the gas I put in my rental had ethanol. It was funny when the clerk would respond 'unfortunately, yes' and I would say, 'great so much better than MTBE'

Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
hrdrckgld
Freshman User
Smile CA & biofuels

I think that MTBE is finally being looked at as the envirohazard it really is out here. Leaking tanks at gas stations have let it into the underground water supply in several areas, with disastrous results! Would love to see Ethinol in use instead, it won't hurt the water!. When I lived in CO the MTBE people "bought" the legislators and they did away with Ethinol and went to full time MTBE, hope they have woken up in the last few years.
Harry

Old 07-14-2005, 08:05 PM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by hrdrckgld
I think that MTBE is finally being looked at as the envirohazard it really is out here. Leaking tanks at gas stations have let it into the underground water supply in several areas, with disastrous results! Would love to see Ethinol in use instead, it won't hurt the water!. When I lived in CO the MTBE people "bought" the legislators and they did away with Ethinol and went to full time MTBE, hope they have woken up in the last few years.
Harry
Exactly the opposite happened in IL. We banned MTBE, but you have to look at in perspective. IL is the second leading producer of corn in the world(IA is number one). We also are the world's leader in gallons of ethanol produced(about 1.1 billion gallons last year). Without any real 'big oil' influence, MTBE never stood a chance, the health risks associated were just the stated reason.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Biodiesel
New User
Biodiesel & other alternatives.

Bought the politicians? What industry does not influence politicians in some form or another? I think and agree it is rediculous how MTBE was permitted to come to market when there is so much evidence of hazards. I completely believe we need to push our politicians to seek the safest and best alternatives for fuels. Recently at the National biodiesel board web site www.biodiesel.org there was an study available pointing out the cost and efficiencies of biodiesel. Texas is so far behind regardging biodiesel it is seriously sad. However, there are positive movements and we will do all we can to support biodiesel because I believe it to a better choice for all diesel vehicle users. Try it out and you'll see we can easily extend fossile fuels life expectancy if WE would use more renewable energy.

NOT to mention biodiesel is cleaner than diesel by FAR

Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 AM
whowey
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biodiesel
Bought the politicians? What industry does not influence politicians in some form or another? I think and agree it is rediculous how MTBE was permitted to come to market when there is so much evidence of hazards. I completely believe we need to push our politicians to seek the safest and best alternatives for fuels. Recently at the National biodiesel board web site www.biodiesel.org there was an study available pointing out the cost and efficiencies of biodiesel. Texas is so far behind regardging biodiesel it is seriously sad. However, there are positive movements and we will do all we can to support biodiesel because I believe it to a better choice for all diesel vehicle users. Try it out and you'll see we can easily extend fossile fuels life expectancy if WE would use more renewable energy.

NOT to mention biodiesel is cleaner than diesel by FAR

Bio, How much production of the needed crops in TX is there? How much oil-associated industry is there???

There isn't a push there simply because of these factors. It hasn't got anything to do with 'bought-off' or anything else. An elected officials FIRST job has to be represent the interests of the people who elected him/her.

A state like TX, with high oil-industry employment and resultant tax dollars, and a much lower amount of grain related employment and tax dollars. You have to expect the legislators from there to disproportionally represent those oil industries. Just like here in the farm belt, I expect my legislators to disproportionally represent farm interests.

If a legislator from a farm district, continually votes anti-farm and the citizens of that district don't rid themselves of that person. That is the voters responsibility, not the legislators. For some reason people seem to forget that simple fact. If I vote for a legislator, I expect that person to vote MY feelings and ideas on an issue not those of the opposition.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Biodiesel
New User
Legislation and alternative fuels

I completely agree with you regarding the direction politicians voting for the interests of the constituents. However, the interests in Texas are now where near the in the interests of the Union. Biodiesel and alternative fuel will not kill the oil industry nor would it completely replace petroleum based fuel. Texas (TCEQ) commission Environmental Quality decided to not accept biodiesel as a possible alternative fuel. Hence as of Oct 1, 2005 blending of biodiesel in 110 attainment counties will be outlawed. See Biodiesel magazine. This should sound rediculous to anyone. But it is true. Because of the slight (2%) increase in NOx the Commission is denying the other benefits. I say that sounds like very poor desicion making and poor lobbying. So now we are trying to find additives which reduce NOx.

But I do agree politicians need to for thier people but they also must understand what they are voting on.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Flash635
Senior User
2% increase in NOX? I wasn't aware.
I wonder if the formulation can be changed to accomodate?

Old 07-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Biodiesel
New User
The issue actually is in the O2 mixture. This is the reason why some biodiesel folks will say adjust the timing and the NOx issue goes away. Regardless of NOx look at the whole of biodiesel not just NOx and you will find a much better fuel than low sulfur diesel. Low sulfur = no lubrication=shortened engine life. Sulfur and all those other emissions are far worse than a slight increase in NOx. An additive can be added to reduce NOx and thus you will get even better fuel economy. MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WITH BIODIESEL.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:16 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I have read in some of my farm magazines that biodiesel from soybeans take LESS energy to produce than fossel fuels.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Biodiesel
New User
I read the same at www.biodiesel.org in a PDF article study done by some group. Running B-20 in my 95 F250 and 03 Excursion. In fact I think I'm getting better milage in my truck but I'm trying to watch it over time. I see people buying it at DFWbiodiesel in Fort Worth, Texas and they haven't had one problem. Imagine better for all involved and yet the state of Texas is not agreeing with the rest of the nation that biodiesel is a viable alternative fuel. 23% of the nations oil reserves are in Texas so you would think they would want to extend the life of the reserves. No they want to sell as much as they can and get the best price. I can see the rational but do not agree. I say let's sell that over seas and augment our reserves with soy and other renewables to begin the process of wheening from foriegn oil. I prefer not to give other nations our money when we can produce here and sell to them and others.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
hrdrckgld
Freshman User
Smile

This is a great discusion! I was raised on a farm in CA my wife on a ranch in TX, but I spent many years as an Exploration Geophysicist working all over the US as well as all over the world. My wife worked as a land permit and lease agent.
I agree that any good bio fuel needs to be used and lets save our oil for our own use later. There are many things that petroleum can be used for that bio can't! Most people I worked for and with over the years were very open to other options, the problem is primerily with the greedy top management like at Enron! They want to make millions more and do it NOW!
As I said before we have a lot more oil in the US than they will tell you, it is just been made too expensive to get to due to the envionmentalists, though technology has advaced to the point where most arguments against oil exploration and development are rediculus! We need to develop ALL of our energy sources, bio, wind etc to try and get independent from the middle east. There are many great people over there, I have lived and worked with them, but their radical fundamentalists just make it too unreliable and some of the money gets to the wrong people!
It is time we do things right!
Harry

Old 07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Brokenwire, I heard they JUST extended the tax rebates to 2008.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Biodiesel
New User
Talking Extension of rebates

I am pretty sure the extension goes to 2010. Here's something great. I drive a 2003 Excursion 6.0 4x4. Running B20 and a product called Ethos, Just drove 250 miles mostly highway and reset the milage gauge. I was getting 18.3 MPG doing 75mph. Very cool. The B20 is great and the Ethos is an additive which I have seen do wonders. It's well worth the investment.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
broken wire
Senior User
2010 is the magic number as of right now.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
jenral
Senior User
Ok I have question. If a guy picked up an older...say 1983 Rabbit Diesel. What would need to be done to it so you could run Bio Diesel. We don't have any Bio Diesel stations or plants up where I am, but there are alot of Diesel trucks up here. Just toying with the idea of what would be involved to either have Bio Shipped or produced here and then sell it. P.S not a whole lot of agriculture up here...just lots of trees.

Quick Reply: My personal plea for biodiesel