Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cummins does something right

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just the fact that you can still get a brand new F650 with a Cummins in it tells you that Ford knows a real truck motor when they put it in a real truck. Have you ever seen a Cummins con rod beside a PSD con rod. Kind of like the difference between a tool and a toy. The 7.3 navistar is a success story all the way and they sold over a million of those in Ford pickups a few years back. It is a light duty diesel motor with lots of power and feels and drives more like a gas motor. That is why Ford went Navistar. They didnt worry about anti-cavitation additives being used properly in the PSD because they know it will go far beyond warranty regardless. The Cummins is one of the diesel designs that is not affected by cavitation problems. If you want to buy a diesel motor that will last 500 000 miles you want a Cummins. If you trade every 5 years and want a strong motor with good manners you buy a PSD.
It is just a shame that SD buyers don't have the option that F650 buyers do.

Last edited by Wrenchtraveller; 04-13-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
flashman1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conspiracy theories – oh boy

Old 04-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
i'll say this much. if i had the same engine options in the superduty's as in the 650's, it sure as heck wouldn't have a cummins, it would have a 7.2L Caterpillar diesel in it!

Old 04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
ok the only reason people have for not getting a dodge is the rest of the truck.......99% of the time, it is not because they don't want the cummins motor.

i know my dad loves his duramax, but if it said cummins on the side and still had a bowtie on the grill, i am sure he would have bought it with the allison.

muahahahaha

why would the majority of people on this site NOT be ford enthusiast???????????????

that makes no sence at all!

if that's the case, why don't they change the name to ford owners.......which most of them are .... most people don't come here to bash ford.... atleast i would hope not.

i know i don't go to the dieselplace to bash gm diesels.

1st that is not my opinion
2nd i think diesel is the future.

are you feeling sorry for this forum because you think it has a lot of trolls on it or what?

never are you going to have 100% enthusiast on the site, i think that is a given.

come on .... on the dieselplace, we have a small spot for both ford and dodge diesels as well as general diesel engines.

you guys just call it the compition forum.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by osbornk
What makes you think all the posters here are Ford enthusiasts? I suspect many of the posts are fabricated by people who are not fans of Ford or maybe not even own a vehicle. When I go to forums of other brands and brouse, some of the posts complaining about problems with that brand of vehicle have familiar wording and phrasing.
My point exactly, I mean, you have posters here who are OBVIOUSLY not Ford enthusiasts, and if this poll was done in the general forum, you'd have quite a different outcome...
LH, need I remind you that the majority of people who voted in that poll are not tha majority of people buying trucks? Not everyone agrees that the Cumapart is a good motor, especially not better than the PSD...
If majority rules in a democracy, then by your same logic, sales of those engines should determine who's best, and we all know who wins that battle...
The majority of people who voted in the poll doesn't reflect the entire market, a hundred people can't reflect the majority of millions...

Old 04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Just the fact that you can still get a brand new F650 with a Cummins in it tells you that Ford knows a real truck motor when they put it in a real truck.
Ford also puts PSDs in the F-650s. They just want the money from people who would actually pay to have a Cummins, I can't blame them, they're a business, and that's what they're out to do is make money. If you were going to give me that much money, I'd sell you a Cummins, too.
Have you ever seen a Cummins con rod beside a PSD con rod. Kind of like the difference between a tool and a toy.
Do you understand the concept of the Cummins has 6 and the PSD has 8? Of course they're going to be bigger....Doesn't mean anything...
The 7.3 navistar is a success story all the way and they sold over a million of those in Ford pickups a few years back. It is a light duty diesel motor with lots of power and feels and drives more like a gas motor. That is why Ford went Navistar. They didnt worry about anti-cavitation additives being used properly in the PSD because they know it will go far beyond warranty regardless. The Cummins is one of the diesel designs that is not affected by cavitation problems. If you want to buy a diesel motor that will last 500 000 miles you want a Cummins.
If you trade every 5 years and want a strong motor with good manners you buy a PSD.
I'm a firm believer that the PSD can also make it to 500,000 miles...I haven't seen a diesel on the market that won't. Most gasers today will make it that far...
I also wish you could get a Cat in the SD...

Old 04-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
FL need I remind you that on other ford sites, which are more related to diesels, the cummins wins the polls also. So hd diesel owners tend to agree with this poll even if this specific poll wasnt representative of the segment as you suggest. Thats why I mentioned that the results were consistent with what Ive seen. The majority tends to lean towards the cummins.

There was a poll of cummins owners on a cummins specific site asking why they bought the truck. Majority said if the cummins was in a ford. Theyd buy the ford. You might be suprised to find out a large percentage of cummins owners prefer ford. They just dont like the PSD.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:19 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Every poster on every message board still isn't a clear representative of the majority...
The only way to get that stat woul dbe to poll all SD diesel truck owners...
I can definitely see where the majority of Cummins owners wish they had a Ford, but I don't agree thatthe majority of Ford owners wish they had a Cummins...Unless you poll the majority of Ford owners, you can't say that for a fact, because on every diesel board, you're going to have people who taint the truth, vote twice, things like that...That internet is not a clear representative of real life...

Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres another thing to look at. Its very hard for a Ford guy to go to a cummins in a Dodge truck. They get in to the truck and they realize how much better there Ford truck is compared to the Dodge. Oh yeh they got the cummins at the expenses of a flimsy truck. Who keeps there truck 500,000 miles especially a Dodge. The truck would be junk at 100,000 miles. So what good does that Cummins do yah if the truck is shot.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
309Ford
Senior User
As a Ford owner, I drive the truck I do because I like the overall package, but I need to point out something that the Ford boys are fond of saying that's not quite accurate.

They like to point out that the connecting rod of the Cummins is stronger because it has fewer of them, and it has to handle comparable loads with fewer rods. Quite true. The implied assumption is that the Ford/PSD connecting rods have as much bearing area and cross section as the Cummins rods if the difference in cylinders is accounted for.

However, even considering this, and allowing for the fact that the Cummins has 25% fewer rods than the PSD, or the V8 PSD has 33% more than the Cummins, depending upon your perspective, the Cummins forged connecting rod is still considerably heavier. Compare cross sectional area, crank bearing surface, etc. and you will notice that the Cummins rods are more than 25 percent heavier than the PSD rods are in these categories.

That is why the Cummins can take huge bombing and still retain the stock bottom end-crank, rods, pistons, etc. I'm not about to buy a Dodge for the Cummins alone, as I have to live with the rest of the truck, but I recognize an extremely durable motor when I see it.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
I don't care if the internet is a true representation or not, the fact is that most people would perfer to have a cummins motor with the inline 6 over a V8 in there truck. Even if the pole is off 10% i can say I am 100% sure that the majority of owners would perfer the cummins engine in their brand of truck.

the reason we like gm, although it has been cover 1000 times before, is because of the total package of ride etc etc.

I think you could also say that the majority of owners would also perfer the allison transmission in their trucks, esp the dodge guys.

I think the dodge guys give up a lot to get the cummins in their truck. They give up both creature comforts and go to a manual transmission just to get the cummins, not to mention a lot of other things.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
309 ford your right about that. A six will always have bigger connecting rods then a eight Just a nature off the beast. Look at a 300 vs 302 the same story there so that doesnt prove anything at all.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:46 PM
309Ford
Senior User
150Ford, my point was, the Cummins is very solidly built, more so than the mere differences in configuration between straight six and V8. The overbuild was part of the engine design and isn't necessarily endemic to a straight six configuration. You can build a V8 with strong connecting rods and high load bearing surfaces on the crank as well. It's just that these load bearing devices are massive in the Cummins.

The turbos on these diesels are the equalizers, and all brands can make a lot of power when they are modded. Then it becomes a question of just how much power they can take.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:16 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
duramaximizer, how can you be 100% sure? What do you base that on? 100 people's opinion? You can't truthfully call your opinion a fact unless you have something to back it up, and any poll on any message board is not going to be enough to do that. If more people wanted a Cummins, they'd have bought one.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 PM
seftonm
Senior User
Another thing that you cannot do is make a statement like "if more people wanted a Cummins, they'd have bought one" unless all other things are equal, which they are not.

Quick Reply: Cummins does something right