Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:03 PM
malbojah
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change question

Got an odd question with my 98 F150 4x2: whats the accepted amount of oil consumption between regualr changes? I just changed mine after 4.5k miles (1500 continuous towing) and I only got a little over 4 quarts out of the engine. I still put 6 qts in but it has me a little concerned. It also did this last year when I changed the oil for the first time (6 qts in, 4 qts out, 2.5k miles)

Old 04-02-2005, 12:57 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.
I generally notice no significant loss (maybe 1/4 quart) between changes and I do 4500-5000 mile changes.
How many miles on the engine?
If you are missing 1-2 quarts it is either:
a) leaking out
or
b) burning oil.

I'd degrease the engine and get it as clean as I could. Then, drive regularly and check the oil level every week. If you notice the level dropping, look close for a leak. If no leak, it's bound to be going out the tail pipe.

Towing will generally cause a little additional oil consumption, but losing 2 quarts in 4.5K miles does seem excessive.

What weight oil are you running?

Old 04-02-2005, 01:26 PM
malbojah
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianA
Hmmm.
I generally notice no significant loss (maybe 1/4 quart) between changes and I do 4500-5000 mile changes.
How many miles on the engine?
If you are missing 1-2 quarts it is either:
a) leaking out
or
b) burning oil.

I'd degrease the engine and get it as clean as I could. Then, drive regularly and check the oil level every week. If you notice the level dropping, look close for a leak. If no leak, it's bound to be going out the tail pipe.

Towing will generally cause a little additional oil consumption, but losing 2 quarts in 4.5K miles does seem excessive.

What weight oil are you running?

First oil change was 5w-30 (up in New England) amd I did 10w-30 for here in Florida. Truck only has 53k miles