Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Now that's a BIG fuel tank!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOw that you've got all that capacity, make sure you hit the Tacoma Flying J before you leave town; cheapest fuel Ive seen in WA. Better yet, work your way east then fill up in WY.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by trakman
Nice set up Kwik....I'm still waiting on Transfer Flow to get back to me about there new computerised on board system that gives you readout of mpg, number of gallons left on board, miles since last fillup, etc. They originally said it would be available around the first of the year for diesels...checked with them mid Feb. and they said they weren't ready to release it yet. Untill then
I have that setup now with the TraxII. I bought the tank in 2003 for my '95 460 gasser and they offered it for that application then. However the only modification that really needed to be done to make it work with the '99 diesel is reprogram the ECU that comes with it and leave off the carbon canisters. Oh and "remove" the unleaded restricter from the filler neck. Everything else was a very simple install. In fact it was easier than the '95 because the main tank for the truck already had a third coupling built in with a cap on it. Very simple operation of removing the cap and running a fuel line down the frame to the third coupling. Both tanks have rollover valves on them for pressure equilization so pressure and displacement of fluids and venting is all taken care of already.
I used this setup last year in the truck but set up on a pedastal and it was flawless. I notched the bed out because the tank stood up high enough to hit the trailer in a tight turn and I was REAL paranoid. It sits 6" lower than it did last year.
I traded a timing belt and front brake job on the paint man's 97 Jetta for the finish work. I did a good job for him but he put twice as much time into my truck as I put into his car, and told him so, but he was cool with it. We only talked about filling and painting the area around the tank not the whole bed and he ended up painting everything but the floor of the bed. I got the better deal by far so I am not complaining about the floor not being painted. Besides I beat it up with barrels of trash to the dump and other abusive stuff to new paint so it's better left as is.
Thanks for all the kudos guys. I am looking forward to using it.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:33 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DaBigTow
NOw that you've got all that capacity, make sure you hit the Tacoma Flying J before you leave town; cheapest fuel Ive seen in WA. Better yet, work your way east then fill up in WY.
Thanks for the tip, my daughter lives down there so it's easy.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DaBigTow
I checked the prices this morning and I am going down to Tacoma right now and grab it while it lasts!
WA, Ellensburg I-90 Canyon Rd Exit 109 2.799

WA, Pasco U.S. Hwy 395 2.719

WA, Spokane I-90 Exit 286 2.639

WA, Tacoma I-5 Exit 136 2.379

WA, W. Spokane I-90 Exit 276 2.659

Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I'm not sure if this is true since I heard it a while ago, but supposedly the reason the fuel is cheaper at the Fife Flying J than at any of the other fuel stops is that it's the only one in the Seattle metro area that's company owned and operated. The others are franchised, and are required to keep their prices higher than the company stores.
Another thing about that station.... they don't add as much winter additive as most other places, so your winter mileage doesn't drop as badly. At times, they post a sign indicating that they don't winterize their fuel at all. Woohoo!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
Gee, I wonder if I'll get a referral bonus... Yes, the remaining J's in WA, and the one in LaGrande OR areowned by the Broadway franchise. The Troutdale J is Company & sells for a little less than the Tacoma station.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Well that was a big waste of time. Just returned from Tacoma Flying J. I got there and a big sign on the door saying the the lease has expired and thank you for all your patronage. All the fuel pumps have been removed from the stands and all the entrances and exits were barricaded with freeway dividers. There was a lot of semi trucks parked in various places on the lot but that was it. Either I missed something or they have moved, or they have just shut down for good. I just checked the fuel prices on the Flying J website and it's been changed from two hours ago. Did they move or something?

Old 04-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Where did you go, Dan? The one with the good prices is at exit 136B, the Port of Tacoma exit. You turn right, go through the intersection with Pacific Hwy South, and it's on your right, about 1/4 mile down the road.
Is that where you went? I've noticed that the prices listed at that station have risen over the past few days, so I'd be surprised if they were closed.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I went to the wrong location then. I've never been there before so I was fooled by the facility on the far left corner at the first light right after you get off the freeway. It was painted the Flying J colors around the top so I assumed that was it.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
My curiosity got the better of me, so we drove down there to check it out. The Flying J at exit 136B is still open, but they've raised the price to $2.479/gallon. What you might have seen is the other Flying J, in Federal Way at exit 142B. It's not a company store, so their prices are considerably higher. When you get off the exit at 142B, it on the left side as you go through the intersection. That must've been what you saw.
Typically, their prices weren't very competitive anyway, so the locals don't typically go there. Sorry about the wasted trip, buddy!

Old 04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Yeah, I went to the Fedaral way store, and it's shut down for good from the looks of it. I didn't realize that there were two of them so close together.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
'96 F-250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by barebackjake
$300 fill up ouch
Be glad you don't live in Europe! Here in Norway it'll be $700 to fill it up!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Is fuel that much more expensive, or are the dollars really tiny??

Old 04-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by '96 F-250
Be glad you don't live in Europe! Here in Norway it'll be $700 to fill it up!
And I'll bet a loaf of bread costs proportionatly more too. Everything is delivered in trucks to the stores which run on diesel.