Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GMC clearance lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile GMC clearance lights

Any truth to the rumour that the moron who designed the ugly clearance lights on new GM pickups only has one eyebrow? Thanks, Wrenchtraveller.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM
CTford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YUCK! those things are REALLY ugly! I don't even think that they do a good job of lighting; the three in the middle are connected and the two on the outside are far away from the edge of the truck- that could be dangerous if you are judging the width of the truck by those light's (which is their point, but you shouldn't be driving that close to the side of the truck in the first place). They sort-of look like someone retrofilled the lights from a utlity truck or a road reflector to the top of the roof. Why would they change them- the classic 5 light setup is great, unless they only want to wire three light holes instead of five.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:21 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
i don't really know why they changed them but i like the new setup over the old one as far as looks. for me they are more for looks than practicality anyway. not like you can see you clearance lights in you mirror or anything and they only stick up higher than the cab so if clearance really was an issue they would only create a bigger problem.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All GMs are ugly...

Last edited by Fordlover55; 04-03-2005 at 11:22 AM. Reason: nevermind
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 AM
MofW
Mountain Pass
I thought we weren't suppost to make comments like that? Kind of pointless don't you think?

As for the cab lights, they're a little goofy looking in the day time. At night when a truck with those is coming at you it's hard to tell that the middle three are under one lens. I think they look like the others at night. Now that that style was been out for a few years they've grown on me a little. They don't look AS odd ball now vs. when they first came out.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I too have made comments about some cars/trucks being ugly (case in point Fords Tonka truck, IMO is ugly)....it is one thing to call them ugly it is totally another to bash them...bashing is not allowed.....HOWEVER words and sentences structure can play a big role in how the typed word is taken. I know some would say there is a fine line…let’s not go there right now!

Old 03-31-2005, 09:48 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally Posted by MofW
Now that that style was been out for a few years they've grown on me a little. They don't look AS odd ball now vs. when they first came out.
That's about where I'm at, too. I never liked the 5, single cab lights on any of the older or current trucks, personally. The clearance lights are required on my Quadrasteer so I've come to like them.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:58 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I like'em more then others .....

Old 03-31-2005, 04:16 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
??? I had to trot outside and take a look. I can't really see any huge difference, other than the fact that GM's design leaves three opportunitites for a water leak, as opposed to five.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
Any truth to the rumour that the moron who designed the ugly clearance lights on new GM pickups only has one eyebrow? Thanks, Wrenchtraveller.

I LOVE the look of clearance lights. They give the truck a very tough look IMO. That 3 light design GM has is horrible. I find a lot of people seem to think that the lights look tacky, but GM took it one step too far. Duramximizer-You can see the clearance lights at night, thats their main purpose.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:12 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
clearance lights are on a trailer for a reason. so if you are in a tight spot they help you out. what do clearance lights do on the top of the pickup that help the driver. this is my question? i say nothing. say if you were going into a building where overhead clearance was an issue the lights only stick up taller so they don't help anything. that is my point. they are for looks only and serve no function was my point.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Wrench Turner
Freshman User
Clearance lights: For looks, on some trucks, Yes. The purpose of the D.O.T. I.D. lights, or the three lights on 6"-9" centers mounted in the middle at the highest reasonable point, are to identify a vehicle as 80" or wider. The other markers, such as on the rear fenders of a dually or Quadra-steer, are required in addition to the normal markers only when a vehicle meets criteria for the 3 I.D. lights. They are primarily for other drivers to see you and know that you are in a wide vehicle, secondarily for you to see yourself for clearance purposes.
I placed the ones on my truck like they do on big trucks, 3 in the middle, 1 out towards the outside edge of each side of the cab, just because I like them that way.

Last edited by Wrench Turner; 04-03-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
If they are just for looks than why would GM make something so ugly? Wait, that seems to be GM's thing these days, lol.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:17 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
that was harsh considering i like the middle and it only puts 3 holes in your roof compared to ford's 5.

nick are you jealous of the gm guys again. you have to stop that!
shame! shame! i think you are on the verge of getting kicked off.

jking lol

Old 04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
LOL, sorry man, i couldnt resist
Jealous? Yeah, Right....

Quick Reply: GMC clearance lights